Pic from about 1990

Thats me on the right. The red car is my 1973,340 duster. We had just finished putting the 340 back it. A few weeks later lt dropped a valve and broke a piston and cylinder wall.

It sure did scoot though, After it ate the valve I put a 360 in it I built myself but it never ran like the 340 did.

The blue fender in the background was my 69 chevelle. I miss that car. It was a 2 door,6 cyl and had a 3 on the tree manual transmission.

I put a 302 Chevy in it. That was a fun car then. To this day i'm mad at myself for getting rid of it.

BTW both of these cars were $600 cars back then.

View attachment 211337

View attachment 211338
My neighbor who just got back from Vietnam got a Duster 340...blue in color. He installed the 340 six pack and it all fit under the hood. He installed 3.90 rear end gears and that car was fast...He purchased it new in 1972...

Nah, he looks like Emilio Estevez and his buddy, Kevin Bacon.

On topic, everyone who's ever had a 340 seems to have loved how they ran.
I had a 1970 Duster 340 that ran 13.75 in the quarter mile. I raced and beat a lot of the big block cars at the strip.
The car was only a year old when I bought it and I beat it like a rented mule. I had a 4:56 posi rear end as well as headers, a holley carb, B&M shift kit and racing slicks. I bracket raced the car quite a bit and it was not a daily driver. My dad let me keep it in the
garage and I had a Ford pickup as a DD. The car was red with a 340 wedge flat black hood and a rear spoiler.

Here I was, at age 20, in my 1964 Corvette Sting Ray, in early 1967. I had sold everything I had to buy that car. /the girls would just jump in without me asking.

Corvette1964_0001.jpg

I had a 1970 Duster 340 that ran 13.75 in the quarter mile. I raced and beat a lot of the big block cars at the strip.
The car was only a year old when I bought it and I beat it like a rented mule. I had a 4:56 posi rear end as well as headers, a holley carb, B&M shift kit and racing slicks. I bracket raced the car quite a bit and it was not a daily driver. My dad let me keep it in the
garage and I had a Ford pickup as a DD. The car was red with a 340 wedge flat black hood and a rear spoiler.
I never got the chance to run the 340 at the track. The 360 I built could only do 14.77 :( it ran smooth just didnt run like the 340. The Chevelle ran a 14.47 with the high compression 302, $20 L48 cam, 3 on the tree,2 bbl rochester carb and 3.08 gears.

Back