Some pics/vids of last years various shop projects

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some pictures that I have taken of some customer stuff- mostly to show them what I saw when I tore into it- to help them relate and I thought I'd share them with you.

This is a rocker arm set up off of a 2002 Neon. Put a re-manned head on it as the other one had a burnt exhaust valve. A week later it came back making an awful knocking racket... I found the rocker shaft hold down bolts had worked loose (their fault) and also the lobe of the cam was hitting the bottom of the rocker. WEIRD! The head was done by a national company. NEVER AGAIN will I use this company! Between their games with warranty (they wanted to make the owner wait while they sorted things out first) and prior experiences with them, I'm done.

Here is a custom transmission cooler line for a 2003 Focus. One was discontinued and both were damaged, so I made my own

Here is a tire that an old gal was driving around on! She wanted me to repair it... Wasn't gonna happen!

Needed to replace a motor mount on a Mitsubishi- all three bolts broke. Despite the appearance of room, there was none- I had to drill them from the bottom... Not too bad huh?

A rebuilt 4.0 SOHC going into an Explorer Sport Trac. The only problem I had was a leaky hose. Came back twice- finally solved it with a different brand hose and a Gates thermal band hose clamp. Didn't take an after shot, but I pressure washed the engine bay for him to pretty it up a bit.

This belonged to a smokin hot college girl- her AC didn't work. Car was in a front end accident (they bought like that as a salvage titled car) The hack that put it back together not only din't properly repair the wires, but also connected a green wire to a green/blk and vice versa. After that the clutch would engage but wouldn't cool- had TONS of high side pressure. Finally evac'ed it, and recharged it- worked fine. Only thing I can figure is they never vac'ed it out- just added refrigerant.

First motorcycle tank I've ever painted. Took a computer and some cash in trade for that work.

Here is a wounded 3.6 in a Caddy- owner was complaining of high oil consumption. Root cause was poorly sealed/seated air filter and housing. Quick lube strikes again!

3.0 Vulcan with a miss on cyl 5. Another shop didn't get the wires in their loom clamps and it fell against the EGR tube

Gunky Rochester 4 Jet off of a 1965 Old 98 with a 425. Run pretty darned good afterwards- heck of a sweet cruiser.

An old Ferguson tractor. Had to put an input shaft seal in it. Was still down about 2 gallons of oil and it was already dripping out of the seal! Took less than an hour to get that far. Also converted it to 12 volts- made a custom alternator mount for it, re-wired it, repaired the radiator, replaced the PTO seal, the axle seals, brakes, made a custom battery hold down and so on.

Here is a short video of a wounded GM 5.3 in a Suburban- they opted to replace the engine with a re-man. Only natural since the owner is an area rep for the company that did the engine. Yes, that's the engine making that noise, no it's not an accessory drive. It too got a pressure washer bath before the owner took it back.

After the swap:

A slightly loose left rear bearing in a 2002 Explorer

Man it looks like you get all the fun ones.
wink.gif

Also on the Ferguson tractor, I did a tune up on it because the cap and wires were so corroded that they were fused together! On a car or truck, when you put in new points, you check the timing... Usually not quite so critical on an old tractor, but since this one was still running rough and had an unstable idle, I wanted to double check that it was in the ball park. It wasn't! It was so far advanced that my advance adjustable light wouldn't read it! It goes to 50*. I'm guessing somewhere around 70 BTDC. Spec is 7*. Idles much nicer now.

On the Explorer- oddly the complaint was squirrelly handling, not noise. I test drive with the owner too and confirm!

Took it to an auction. Lol! It's an otherwise clean car- some poor slob will get conned into buying it at one of those buy here pay here lots....

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Where did the wires come from that were sticking out of the tire? Those can't be from the tire belts.

Yes in fact, they are! I know the second pic doesn't do it any justice, but it was cracked and bulging in various places too. No way was I going to touch that thing! Ended up selling her 1 single tire. The other ones were all junk (think as bald as Mr Clean and/or cracked really bad) too, but this one was the most dangerous and she had no money.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Where did the wires come from that were sticking out of the tire? Those can't be from the tire belts.

Yes in fact, they are! I know the second pic doesn't do it any justice, but it was cracked and bulging in various places too. No way was I going to touch that thing! Ended up selling her 1 single tire. The other ones were all junk (think as bald as Mr Clean and/or cracked really bad) too, but this one was the most dangerous and she had no money.
Wow, that's crazy! Glad that tire is not on the road anymore. Hopefully she can get the other 3 replaced as soon as she can. Some people don't realise just how important having good tires really is.

I'm not sure what she ever ended up doing- I haven't seen her since. One of my other customers who lived in the same apartment complex said that he saw her driving around with the same tires a couple months ago- which would have been several months after I put the tire on. It's sad really.

When I worked at a WM TLE, cabs were the worst - always nearly bald tires on them. Rarely wanted replacements, and would get mad if we commented on the tires.

The owner of the Sport Trac called me this morning- evidently he hit a sign post that was bent over and partially obscured...

Both the side curtain airbags went off, causing the usual body panel damage. Insurance company totaled it. He said "I don't think so" since the engine and transmission were both new (I replaced both, but only posted on the engine since that's all I had pics of- long story). So no he wants me to locate and install replacement parts. FUN!

What year Sport Trac? Pics look like an '05 or older model. Side air bags in one of those would be seat mounted, which would probably mean a seat back, which probably ain't happening except for a used seat. Yep, sounds like fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back