help pick new truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Technically they did market it as comparable to a full size truck.

Personally, if doing what the Ridgeline does was my priority I'd still buy an Avalanche.

I wouldn't buy a new truck for what you are planning on doing with it, unless you just have money to burn. Buying an early to mid 2000s model will get you a reliable truck that will probably last another decade or longer with good maintenance.

Originally Posted By: mozart
I have a hitch... just don't have room for a trailer

Also, I don't have wiring... is it required when pulling a trailer?

Yes, for the lights on the trailer. Keep in mind that any trailer/load of 600 lbs or more requires trailer brakes for the RAV V-6 with tow prep package. The light hookup is not as easy as tapping into a tail light. It's a bit more complex and a lead must be run to the battery. If you need a trailer brake controller in the cab then that wiring will also be required. Surge brakes on the trailer need only the standard light/brake/turn signal hook up. 3500 lbs is max towable with the V-6 providing it has the factory tow prep package.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: andrewg
The thing is....the Ridgeline is not intended to compete with a full size pickup.

To be fair, Honda DID market it that way. I remember them calling it the "Honda half-ton" in Super Bowl commercials years ago.

You may be right about that. I do happen to recall some 'over the top' adds when it first came out. But honestly, don't all pickup makers do that sort of thing? I think it comes down to having a brain that is capable of understanding marketing hype vs. reality. I knew when I got mine that it was not an F150 capable vehicle. I just read the specs on it....didn't take a huge intellect to do that. After test driving it...and others, I found it to be way ahead of other mid-size 6 cylinders.
Of the three mentioned I would go Ridgeline first, Toyota second, and Nissan third. Just my opinion.

I agree with you that its mission was not to compete with traditional full-size pickups. But that IS how Honda marketed it. So naturally, comparisons will be drawn.

For the person who wants a quiet and comfortable commuter, but who often goes to the nursery to get a bed full of mulch, the Ridgeline fits the bill nicely.

My vote is for Ford Ranger they are made in ST. Paul MN.

They are a tough little truck, I have a 1993 Ford Ranger.

They also make the Mazda pick up truck in the same factory and it is pretty much the same truck as the ranger.

One day they make the Mazda the next day the Ranger.

Andy

Last edited:
Buy a good quality (not the cheape$t one you can find) lightweight trailer that is rated for the biggest load you anticipate.

Rent anything else.

Might as well take advantage of all that V6 power in your RAV4: you won't even know it's back there if you get the right hitch set-up properly!

Cheers!

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Honda Ridgeline is exceptional. Drives very nicely, flawlessly smooth, refined 6 cylinder, ample power to easily tow most moderate loads, 4x4 system is PERFECT during snowy road conditions, great storage areas in many locations inside and an awesome trunk in the bed, durable interior materials, interior has little road or engine noise, oil changes very simple, original styling (nothing really like it...some do find it ugly though, but not me), pretty decent mpg, reliability is excellent, and the back seat is really roomy and comfortable with great visibility.
Honda will be most likely discontinuing this truck after next year due to lower than expected sales....so PERHAPS a deal could be made that gets you out the door well below MSRP?

I realize you like the Ridgeline and that is cool but I really find your post humorous. You expound on and on about how amazing the vehicle is first off. Then at the end you tell the guy to go buy one because he will get a great deal as Honda is no longer making it due to a lack of sales. If it was such a great vehicle it would sell would it not? There is a reason it is doing poorly. Other than for a few people where it fits the bill( you are apparantly one )it is a poor excuse for something called a truck.

+1 Our expedition is more of a truck than a ridgeline.

Without a doubt. The Ridgeline is a unibody vehicle!

I agree with you that its mission was not to compete with traditional full-size pickups. But that IS how Honda marketed it. So naturally, comparisons will be drawn.

For the person who wants a quiet and comfortable commuter, but who often goes to the nursery to get a bed full of mulch, the Ridgeline fits the bill nicely.

Yeah just dont get a flat or you will be shoveling the manure out of the bed to get to hatch to get to the spare tire, stupid design!

Originally Posted By: VNTS
Yeah just dont get a flat or you will be shoveling the manure out of the bed to get to hatch to get to the spare tire, stupid design!

I didn't know that; it does seem silly.

Originally Posted By: Geo_Prizm
Toyota Tundra or Tacoma. Honda is new in truck-making.
Never a Ford,never a GM, never a Chrysler vehicle.No more.

If you find a Toyota Hilux 1985 MY, it will be more reliable than a 2010 D3 truck. Sad, but true.

Which truck can survive what Toyota Hilux did?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5179975685121295378#

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVkedyQZfwQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uc4Ksz3nHM

Thanks a lot buddy you just made me spit my drink all over my monitor and out my nose with that comment. I would take any of the big 3 over a TOYota wannabe truck any day of the week and I dont even like ford or chrysler. Now what does that tell you?

Originally Posted By: Geo_Prizm
Toyota Tundra or Tacoma. Honda is new in truck-making.
Never a Ford,never a GM, never a Chrysler vehicle.No more.

If you find a Toyota Hilux 1985 MY, it will be more reliable than a 2010 D3 truck. Sad, but true.

Which truck can survive what Toyota Hilux did?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5179975685121295378#

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVkedyQZfwQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uc4Ksz3nHM

I would say just about anything would. The salt water would wreak havoc with modern truck's electronics (from Detroit or not), as for the rest..yea, just about anything. Those oil Toyota p/u chassis were flimsy tin cans.

There's something about the old toyota's that makes people pay 2 or 3 times as much for them as a comparable D3 pickup though...

I'm not saying which is actually better but the toyota's will bring alot more money, especially for high mileage trucks around here.

Possible scenario, but certainly not common. Besides, with any truck it would be foolish and dangerous to change a flat WHILE the truck is fully loaded. The strain on the jack and the obvious danger of instability would make it highly advisable to lighten any load before changing a tire. On the plus side with the spare being in a high and dry location like that it is easy to get to and suffers no rust or corrosion that many truck spares can get. Ever have to lay on a muddy or soaking wet road in the cold to get to a spare? Not fun.

No

I would just uncrank and lower the spare like most trucks. No chance of getting caught like that.

Putting the spare in the cubby hole is just a poor design and would give me pause to carrying any material in the back.
Of course Ridgelines are life style trucks anyways and have been surpased in the market by full size which get as good of gas mileage, lower cost and as good or better ride and nicer interiors. The big 3 have steped up their game and left Honda in the dust in their recent redesigns. That is why Honda will abadon the Ridgeline. My BIL has one and I get sick of listening to him endlessly complain about its [censored] transmission and gas mileage. I hope he trades it in purchases another truck.

Possible scenario, but certainly not common. Besides, with any truck it would be foolish and dangerous to change a flat WHILE the truck is fully loaded. The strain on the jack and the obvious danger of instability would make it highly advisable to lighten any load before changing a tire. On the plus side with the spare being in a high and dry location like that it is easy to get to and suffers no rust or corrosion that many truck spares can get. Ever have to lay on a muddy or soaking wet road in the cold to get to a spare? Not fun.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
There's something about the old toyota's that makes people pay 2 or 3 times as much for them as a comparable D3 pickup though...

I would pay more for a 80's Nissan or Toyota pickup than I would for an 80's Ranger.
21.gif
But OTOH I would take an 80's I6 F150 over an 80's Toyota pickup.

Quote:
I'm not saying which is actually better but the toyota's will bring alot more money, especially for high mileage trucks around here.

That depends entirely on what truck you're talking about.

It does depend on the truck of course, but my buddy got something like $4k for a mid 80's toyota 4x4, uncertified with 200,000 miles... It had rust in all the usual places and it needed a CV joint up front, exhaust leak at the manifold, 50% tires, etc...
A 4x4 D3 truck in that condition here would be $1000-$1500?
I'm not saying it makes sense but that's what I see here.

No

I would just uncrank and lower the spare like most trucks. No chance of getting caught like that.

Putting the spare in the cubby hole is just a poor design and would give me pause to carrying any material in the back.
Of course Ridgelines are life style trucks anyways and have been surpased in the market by full size which get as good of gas mileage, lower cost and as good or better ride and nicer interiors. The big 3 have steped up their game and left Honda in the dust in their recent redesigns. That is why Honda will abadon the Ridgeline. My BIL has one and I get sick of listening to him endlessly complain about its [censored] transmission and gas mileage. I hope he trades it in purchases another truck.

Not meant to compete with a full size truck. As stated before, the Ridgeline compares very favorably with other V-6 pickups. I had one....no issues at all with the tranny. Shifted very smoothly and if you aren't a lead foot it does very well on MPG's. With the independent rear suspension I honestly don't know how a solid rear axle truck rides or handles better than the Ridgeline. Test drove many and did not find that to be the case.
By the way.....what the heck is a 'lifestyle' truck? Don't all vehicles revolve around what needs our life requires? I don't know about in your neck of the woods, but where I live most pickups (especially the full size 4x4's) never see a heavy load or serious pickup use as the vehicle is intended. Plenty of pickups at the mall parking lot all shined up without a speck of dirt on them (must be a 'lifestyle').

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back