help pick new truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a hitch... just don't have room for a trailer

Also, I don't have wiring... is it required when pulling a trailer?

If you only used the trailer during the day you can do hand signals. But somewhere behind a tail light on the RAV4 is a plugin for a trailer light module. The module will have the plug to the trailer wiring.
http://www.northtrailtrailers.com/UtilityAtvGeneralUseTrailers.html
I have the short one of the BX series trailer on this page. I've never tried but I'm pretty sure I could stand it on end by myself with some effort. Its about 10 or 11 feet tip to tip and just over 4 feet wide including tires. I use it as a yard trailer, woods trailer, and round bales fit into it too.

Originally Posted By: mozart
I'm considering a new pickup truck.
Needs four doors, 4x4, V6, excellent reliability and easy to change oil (I enjoy doing my own maintenance)

I'm considering the following (in no particular order)

Toyota Tacoma
Nissan Frontier (I'm liking the look of these this year)
Honda Ridgeline

I won't be hauling a trailer, but I will do occasional trips to the nursery for trees, rocks and various household items at Home Depot.

Thanks in advance

Of the 3 the Nissan. I had a current generation Tacoma and it was a piece of c r a p! You couldn't give me another one! The Ridgeline is not a truck. It is a yuppie truck look alike wannabe. It is nothing more than a mini van with the top cut off the back giving a tiny useless bed.

Check out the Chevy Colorado with the I5. Good gas mileage and as reliable as any of the ones listed above. My Brother in law has one and it has been great. 20+ MPG all the time for him( his is a 2WD Crew Cab ). Unfortunately, if you need 4WD there is no midsize pickup that will get decent MPG. The MPG will be about the same as most full size pickups. If you can get away with 2WD a midsize p-up is worth it. Otherwise it is not. JMHO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Geo_Prizm
Toyota Tundra or Tacoma. Honda is new in truck-making.
Never a Ford,never a GM, never a Chrysler vehicle.No more.

If you find a Toyota Hilux 1985 MY, it will be more reliable than a 2010 D3 truck. Sad, but true.

Which truck can survive what Toyota Hilux did?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5179975685121295378#

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVkedyQZfwQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uc4Ksz3nHM

Any of them. If you take off your Toyota blinders you'd be able to see that.

We blew up a Tacoma last year at the mud bogs. Should I instantly assume all Toyota products are junk because of that? The Ford didn't blow up, so it must be a million times better quality.... The Dodge didn't blow up, so hey, it must be a million times better too. In fact the ONLY vehicle that blew up was the Tacoma.

Submerging an engine won't kill it. I've pulled boats off the bottom of the lake that have been there for a WEEK, dumped the crankcase, and away they went. The Hilux was not RUNNING when that happened. If it was, do you honestly think it would have survived?

But screw the real world. Let's base our reliability and durability off an episode of Top Gear. That's wise..... Maybe you should watch the Bolivia Special episode where they took three SUV's through the jungle.

Spoiler for you: The Toyota didn't make it.

Quote:
Oh, Ridgeline as mentioned is a useless gutless truck.

Not to mention very ugly. Buy a car if you really don't need a truck for every day use.

Honda Ridgeline is exceptional. Drives very nicely, flawlessly smooth, refined 6 cylinder, ample power to easily tow most moderate loads, 4x4 system is PERFECT during snowy road conditions, great storage areas in many locations inside and an awesome trunk in the bed, durable interior materials, interior has little road or engine noise, oil changes very simple, original styling (nothing really like it...some do find it ugly though, but not me), pretty decent mpg, reliability is excellent, and the back seat is really roomy and comfortable with great visibility.
Honda will be most likely discontinuing this truck after next year due to lower than expected sales....so PERHAPS a deal could be made that gets you out the door well below MSRP?

Originally Posted By: VNTS
I would buy a full size, gas mileage is the same as these.

Oh, ridgeline as mentioned is a useless gutless truck.

Completely false statement. Generally spoken by those that only believe in full size pickups. For it's intended purpose, the Ridgeline excels and is very FAR from gutless. I should know my friend, I owned one (and an F150 before that).

I'm an import guy my self but honestly if I wanted a truck it's gotta be from one of the big (or should I say small? lol) three. One thing they can put out are trucks.

I like the F150 my self. However I'd never own a truck, hate the unsettled ride.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andrewg
Honda Ridgeline is exceptional. Drives very nicely, flawlessly smooth, refined 6 cylinder, ample power to easily tow most moderate loads, 4x4 system is PERFECT during snowy road conditions, great storage areas in many locations inside and an awesome trunk in the bed, durable interior materials, interior has little road or engine noise, oil changes very simple, original styling (nothing really like it...some do find it ugly though, but not me), pretty decent mpg, reliability is excellent, and the back seat is really roomy and comfortable with great visibility.
Honda will be most likely discontinuing this truck after next year due to lower than expected sales....so PERHAPS a deal could be made that gets you out the door well below MSRP?

I realize you like the Ridgeline and that is cool but I really find your post humorous. You expound on and on about how amazing the vehicle is first off. Then at the end you tell the guy to go buy one because he will get a great deal as Honda is no longer making it due to a lack of sales. If it was such a great vehicle it would sell would it not? There is a reason it is doing poorly. Other than for a few people where it fits the bill( you are apparantly one )it is a poor excuse for something called a truck.

Originally Posted By: 07_Tundra
webfors said:
Ridgeline is a great truck.. it only sucks if you haven't driven one before
grin2.gif

Ridgeline isn't even really a truck! (and yes, I've driven one)I have the Honda Odyssey, which is what the Ridgeline is based on. Also, I've heard that as of 2012 model year, Honda will quit making them. (don't know if this is true, haven't asked my dealer yet)

Between all of them I would get the Tacoma. Higher resale, and quality. The only one I don't have any personal experience with is the Nissan. I've just never liked the way they look. If you really do buy a truck, you may as well look at the full size as well. They will get about the same mileage as the mid-size.

Saying the Ridgeline is BASED on the Odyssey is an exaggeration to say the least. The two vehicles are very different and designed to serve completely different purposes. Call it a truck....or not....makes no difference. It performed the tasks I had it for very well (towing 5,000 pounds, bad weather, camping, light duty off-road, landscape material hauling, and road trips). Had an F150....and yes, it was a TRUCK for sure. But didn't suit my needs at all really. If all I did was haul stuff then it would have been great. But I needed a more all-purpose vehicle. The Ridgeline was fantastic at that.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

I realize you like the Ridgeline and that is cool but I really find your post humorous. You expound on and on about how amazing the vehicle is first off. Then at the end you tell the guy to go buy one because he will get a great deal as Honda is no longer making it due to a lack of sales. If it was such a great vehicle it would sell would it not? There is a reason it is doing poorly. Other than for a few people where it fits the bill( you are apparantly one )it is a poor excuse for something called a truck.

So you only purchase vehicles based on sales figures? That's an odd way to validate anything. About all it says is that Honda didn't find the market it envisioned. To break into the pickup market is a difficult thing....especially if you've never built one before and face the American tradition of a pickup being a V-8, full size, gas guzzler with a solid rear axle. The Ridgeline has actually won many awards...including a stock coveted Baja race. But no, it won't matter to people like you or others that insist it's not a REAL truck (whatever that group-think opinion is all about).
That's cool though.....Honda did a great job in it's creation. Just screwed up in it's marketing department and forecasts.

It is not just Honda that underestimated their intended market so did Nissan with the Titan.

However they are not stopping sales...yet.

They have replaced a lot of diffs under warranty though, too small for the required load.

The thing is....the Ridgeline is not intended to compete with a full size pickup. It can't do that nor was it ever intended to. It does however compare very favorably with other V-6 pickups on the market. In my opinion, after having owned one, it is the very best for my needs in this category. I loved that truck (yes, it can be called a truck...especially since folks seem to have no issue calling my little 4 cyl. Ford Ranger a truck). As stated, I did own a newer, full size F150 previously. I liked the Ford....always have liked them. But for my needs....and all the other great attributes the Ridgeline has, that Honda was far better in ride, quality, comfort, and in it's refined nature. If I was in construction or hauled loads of firewood....of course I would need a full size pickup. But I didn't do that.
Sales may have been poor, but this was not due to the vehicle being inferior. Buyer satisfaction is better than most, Ridgeline clubs abound, and it truly is a quality ride. A 250HP V-6 with ample torque to tow 5000lbs......plus a ride like no other....equals a great truck to me. It's looks are a matter of opinion though. I would agree it may need to grow on some...while others think it ugly. But hey....look at that stupid plastic looking Chevy Avalanche thing!

For the record, I felt the Ridgeline drove the best and had the best features when I tried one two years ago (compared to Toyota and Nissan)

The thing is....the Ridgeline is not intended to compete with a full size pickup.

To be fair, Honda DID market it that way. I remember them calling it the "Honda half-ton" in Super Bowl commercials years ago.

Originally Posted By: Geo_Prizm
Toyota Tundra or Tacoma. Honda is new in truck-making.
Never a Ford,never a GM, never a Chrysler vehicle.No more.

If you find a Toyota Hilux 1985 MY, it will be more reliable than a 2010 D3 truck. Sad, but true.

Which truck can survive what Toyota Hilux did?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5179975685121295378#

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVkedyQZfwQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uc4Ksz3nHM

toyota fanboi alert. Oh shove it, haven't we been through this time and time again? All manufacturers are essentially equals when it comes to reliability. Ford, GM Chrysler make a good, naym great truck. There is a reason the F-150 has been the best selling vehicle in the US for the last what, 40 years? The GM pickups not far behind. Notice the toyota tundra is waayyy further down on that list.

I love top gear, but basing a true opinion of a car off it is dumb. They tested a prius against a BMW on a track. The BWW got better gas mileage. So would you say that the Prius is useless, a gimmick, and that a Beemer gets better mileage? No. Any one of the current trucks would survive that.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

+1 Our expedition is more of a truck than a ridgeline.

The Ridgeline seems to be a compromise between a refined full size vehicle and a midsize truck and for those who desire these qualities a Ridge is ok, but the work truck (4x8 bed) it is not nor ever pretended to be.It's a question of dollars and 'sense'.The question was asked (roughly) 'of these three pickups who likes what and why',thats it, were off on a tangent here.
edit :My vote stands with Nissan.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back