Having trouble getting 5w30 oil

Oil in general is a bit tough at the moment. We sell Quaker state and 0w20 has been on and off backorder for the last year. 5w30 has been backorder a few times as well. We dont use near the oil you guys do so we buy the bay boxes. For bulk, our quaker state supplier has been out of bulk 0w20 for a year, closest they can get is drums.

what is the add on for those larger quantities?
They don't include delivery w/a 55 drum of 5W30 / 0W20 do they?
I have no dispensing tank for the larger quantities... currently
I have to charge near 10$ aQt for some of it, like to get that down a 1/4 - 1/3.

We generate like over 1,000 gallons every 2 weeks so we pay like $1.90 gallon for Safety Kleens oil.
Wow, that's only 48 cents a quart. Is it really that cheap? Wish I could buy oil at that price ... guess I'll have to wait for a Wamart on-line price snafu scramble, lol.

Last edited:
Wow, that's only 48 cents a quart. Is it really that cheap? Wish I could be oil at that price ... guess I'll have to wait for a Wamart on-line price snafu scramble, lol.

I’ll buy 3 million gallons at $1.90 a gallon. Assuming it’s SP licensed syn blend.

Actually I’ll buy every drop they’ll load on my tankers. I’ll find a home for it.

back ta post 62 - I wonder if a 30/35 jobs/wk (not OC exclusive) guy could geta drum or 2 of this stuff. Don't
know any co that deliver. @ 600$ I might beable to give customers a break but no way to know the possibility right now~
My bread'n butter is breaks, exhaust w/an engine or trans change, a near total fender bender thrown in for interest (o0OP,
multi-resto mods on the property as usual too).

back ta post 62 - I wonder if a 30/35 jobs/wk (not OC exclusive) guy could geta drum or 2 of this stuff. Don't
know any co that deliver. @ 600$ I might beable to give customers a break but no way to know the possibility right now~
My bread'n butter is breaks, exhaust w/an engine or trans change, a near total fender bender thrown in for interest (o0OP,
multi-resto mods on the property as usual too).
I could not make out anything from your post.

Anyways, we haven’t run out of oil yet which is good

So, to update this thread; boss’s and I had meeting with Safety Kleen guys. They raised our $/per gallon up to $2.88.

In the big scheme of things that’s cheap when you consider how much 0w20 Synthetic and synthetic blend 5w30 we use.

Boss told me afterwards that if we have delays/issues they would have reached out to big supplier out near me for oil delivery.

So, to update this thread; boss’s and I had meeting with Safety Kleen guys. They raised our $/per gallon up to $2.88.

In the big scheme of things that’s cheap when you consider how much 0w20 Synthetic and synthetic blend 5w30 we use.

Boss told me afterwards that if we have delays/issues they would have reached out to big supplier out near me for oil delivery.

I’d still buy every drop at $2.88. Because that’s below base oil pricing. Or bunker fuel pricing.

But I get the game they’re playing. I had to check.

I’d still buy every drop at $2.88. Because that’s below base oil pricing. Or bunker fuel pricing.

But I get the game they’re playing. I had to check.
I don’t get into who makes the price to be honest.

How much is bunker fuel price wise currently?

Also, what does the residual left from crude oil refining sell for these days? I know it’s thick, nasty stuff.
Thank You

I don’t get into who makes the price to be honest.

How much is bunker fuel price wise currently?

Also, what does the residual left from crude oil refining sell for these days? I know it’s thick, nasty stuff.
Thank You
About ~$500 a ton for 380cst product.

If it’s IMO2020 approved fuel about ~$1200 a ton.

Your local shop is probably getting charged the delivery fee. Not the actual price of oil. Your previous price was identical to my delivery fee for SK.

It’s a way to do national account, but without the solid fixed costs. We deliver a few KPP accounts this way.

So your company has a fixed price for oil, nation wide. Whatever it is per gallon. However, delivery fees vary from region to region. It costs more to deliver product in Montana, then it does Houston - for example.

Some national accounts are buy back models. So for example, when I buy Honda oil from P66. They buy it back from me at the cost that I paid them for it. Then, they pay me a delivery fee and freight costs.

On the flip side, another way is the Ford model. Where I have a fixed cost, but Ford gives the dealers incentives to drive their price down.

In KPP’s way, they credit our account, then we charge them a delivery fee. Which, I assume that is your “bill” and corporate gets the oil bill. This way they can do separate cost accounting per location.

Several ways to do the national account model. All depends on the company and the account. Some stuff is RFQ per load. Etc.

So far, touch wood, have not had problems getting oil for my shop. Prices have gone up, no problem as long as I can get product.
Retail shelves are much thinner in stock than they used to be - massive shortages of HDEO’s and all grease products.

Back