Safety-Kleen Expansion (East Chicago, Ind)

Status
Not open for further replies.
October 21, 2008

By Gitte Laasby Post-Tribune staff writer

EAST CHICAGO -- Safety-Kleen's East Chicago re-refinery is undergoing a $15 million expansion to increase production, the company announced Monday. The move comes in response to increasing demand and a growing need to recycle and extend the life of oil products.

"Every gallon we make is another gallon already sold. It's a good business," said refinery manager Scott Miller, as he led a tour of the facility Monday.

"Every gallon we make is another gallon already sold. It's a good business," said refinery manager Scott Miller, as he led a tour of the facility Monday.

Safety-Kleen is the world's largest recycler and re-refiner of used motor oil. The company collects more than 100 million gallons of oil a year. They are transported by barges, trucks and rail from 110,000 suppliers across the country as far away as California and Florida.

Scott Miller, refinery manager at Safety-Kleen Systems in East Chicago, points to the hydro treater towers on a tour of the business Monday. The company is installing new tanks that will hold waste oil.
(Leslie Adkins/Post-Tribune)

Safety-Kleen is the world's largest recycler and re-refiner of used motor oil. The company collects more than 100 million gallons of oil a year. They are transported by barges, trucks and rail from 110,000 suppliers across the country as far away as California and Florida.

"Recycling is at the heart of America's green movement, and Safety-Kleen is a national leader in this field, recycling 80 percent of the liquid and solid industrial wastes we collect each year for re-use or energy recovery," said Safety-Kleen Chief Executive Officer and President Frederick J. Florjancic Jr. in a statement. "Our process for re-refining used oil produces lubricants that meet the same quality standards as new oil, but it does so using 50 to 80 percent less energy."

Through a series of processes similar to regular refining, Safety-Kleen heats up the used oil, separating about 10 percent water from it and turning it into heavy and light oil. The gunk is used for asphalt.

The company started its expansion in late 2007 and early spring this year. It's putting the finishing touches on a $10 million tank farm consisting of 1 million-, 2 million- and 4 million-gallon tanks that store raw and finished materials. When the project is complete at the end of November, Safety-Kleen will no longer need to rent tanks off site.

As a result of the expansion, officials expect to increase annual production by 17 percent to 70 million gallons from 60 million in 2006. The company employs about 100 employees, but only another couple will be added as a result of the expansion.

Much of the recycled motor oil is used in state police vehicles, by military vehicles in Iraq, the Chicago Transit Authority, the U.S. Postal Service and NASCAR. The oil could be used in regular cars, but demand exceeds the company's supply as is.

The re-refined oil is equal to regular oil in quality, performance and cleanliness. It's sold at about the same price, Miller said.

"It's not as much a financial incentive as it is the right thing to do. It's less dependence on foreign oil," he said. "Anytime you can get a recycled product that is equal or better to something new, that's a good thing."

Florjancic said by re-refining the used oil it collects, Safety-Kleen prevents emissions of about 300,000 tons of greenhouse gasses that would be created if the waste oil was burned to get rid of it. That corresponds to taking 200,000 cars off the road every year.

As a sign of changing times in the world of energy, just six to eight years ago, industries, quick-lubes and municipalities would pay Safety-Kleen to take the used oil. Now it's the other way round.

"In the old days, they used to pay us to take it. Now we pay them," Miller said. "There's been a shift in marketplace."

Only a few companies across the United States recycle oil. Miller attributes the success of Safety-Kleen to two factors: The proprietary knowledge that sets the re-refinery apart from a standard refinery, and the extensive collection system.

He hopes the company will one day have another plant.

Safety-Kleen is celebrating the near-completion of the expansion at a ceremonial opening of the tank farm at 2 p.m. today.

won't be long before old used motor oil and lubes will be too valuable and too polluting to burn in industrial furnaces.

The above article failed to mention one important fact about this, all they produce is Group I base stocks. There are a lot of things Group I base stocks can be used for, but my engine is not one of them. Below is another article posted in Lube News.

October 22, 2008
Safety-Kleen Spreads Wings
By George Gill

Safety-Kleen Inc. on Monday announced a $15 million expansion of its East Chicago, Ind., rerefinery, which is expected to increase its API Group I base oil capacity by 10 million gallons annually, about 650 barrels per day.

The plant had about 3,500 b/d of Group I capacity before the expansion, according to the Lubes’n’Greases 2008 Guide to Global Base Oil Refining.

John Kyte, Safety-Kleen’s director of corporate communications, said the expansion, which he called “fundamentally complete,” involved some new construction, changes in technical equipment and expansion of storage tank capacity. “It added seven storage tanks and about 16 acres of land,” Kyte told Lube Report.

Plano, Texas-based Safety-Kleen had looked at expanding the plant for some time because the rerefinery business had proven successful, according to Kyte. “We were at capacity, saw the opportunity to continue to collect more used oil and to increase capacity, so it made good business sense,” he explained. “We began the actual upgrade back in 2006, and our timing has proven pretty good given the rising prices of oil. Although it is a margin business, we’re in good shape.”

While the company has begun some marketing of its recycled motor oil to consumers, Kyte emphasized that large fleets are the main market for the product. “Predominantly it is government agencies, both state and federal, and other organizations with large fleets,” he added. Examples include the U.S. military, the U.S. Postal Service, the Chicago Transit Authority, and official State of Indiana vehicles.

Michael Ebert, vice president of Safety-Kleen’s U.S. rerefinery operations, said the East Chicago facility has recycled 1.6 billion gallons of used motor oil since April 1991.

In addition to Safety-Kleen, other North American rerefiners include Evergreen, which operates an 800 b/d Group I rerefinery in Newark, Calif.; and Newalta Corp. in North Vancouver, B.C., with a capacity of 500 b/d of Group I. Evergreen is adding 550 b/d of new Group II capacity at the Newark plant, via an expansion scheduled to go on-line in the first quarter of 2009. Also, Heartland Petroleum LLC expects to begin production some time in December at its new rerefinery in Columbus, Ohio, with an estimated 1,500 b/d of Group II capacity.

Not to doubt you, Johnny, but in order to produce 5W-20, 5W-30, and 10W-30 oils that meet current API specs, wouldn't they HAVE to be using group II?

If you go to the website for 'America's Choice' re-refined oils, they give the specs, and with specs like a PP of -39, a ccs of 6200@-30, these oils would have to be group II...

It's not me saying it, but John Kyte, Safety-Kleen's director of corporate communications.

"Safety-Kleen Inc. on Monday announced a $15 million expansion of its East Chicago, Ind., rerefinery, which is expected to increase its API Group I base oil capacity by 10 million gallons annually, about 650 barrels per day.

The plant had about 3,500 b/d of Group I capacity before the expansion, according to the Lubes’n’Greases 2008 Guide to Global Base Oil Refining."

There are still mechanics that uses GRP I oil (SL) when I bought my car in about a year ago.

Sometimes as long as the customer doesn't care (i.e. fleet or government), they can sell older spec oil that is good enough (SJ, SL, etc).

That, and I also think about the cheap hydraulic oil that is sold in 5 gallon buckets and used almost everywhere. Seems like a good place for Group 1 oil.

At least the 5W-20/5W-30 API SM/GF-4 oils being produced would use any group II/II+ they make. They also further process some waste oil into group III 'synthetic', and sell it as W-M synthetic 0W-30, 5W-30, and 10W-30.

I'm sure their group I capacity expansion is order to produce a lot more 15W-40 for fleet diesels in city bus operations, the US Army, and construction equipment.

First they do produce alot of grp I base oils. They also produce Grp II base oils.
The final products meet new car requirements.

http://www.safety-kleen.com/products/OilProducts/Documents/americas choice pdfs/MotorOil.pdf

The Base oil chart is here.
http://www.safety-kleen.com/products/OilProducts/Documents/americas choice pdfs/BaseOil.pdf

Compare these specs to the API chart defining Base oil groups.

API - Classification of Base Oils

Group Saturate wt % Sulphur wt % Viscosity Index
I < 90 and/or > 0.03 > 80 to < 120
II ³ 90 and £ 0.03 ³ 80 to £ 120
III ³ 90 £ 0.03 ³ 120
IV All poly alpha olefins (PAOs)
V All base stocks not included in Groups I-IV

You can see by the saturate counts in the Base oil PDF that they do produce and market as a commodity Grp II base oils.

Last edited:
When we were looking into getting an oil supplier at my dealership we had to get a name brand oil but that was all. The distributer had SafetyKleen 5W-30 SM GF-4 rated oil (also on GM latest 6094M in America's Choice or Performance Plus ZR). So looks like they have upgraded output quality.

I looked at "America's Choice" motor oil. On the America's Choice website. It was about re-refining used oil that was supposed to equal the current specifications required by automobile manufacturers. I was surprised to note that there was a letter from Mercedes Benz which, sometimes, uses re-refined oil as factory fill. Ford's letter was not as enthusiastic about re-refined oil. To Ford there appears to be a wide variance in quality, and may affect the warranty.

I called "America's Choice" sales representative in Waco, Texas, and he said that they concentrate on government sales like local governments, county, state, and federal. They, also, concentrate on military sales. I talked to him about 4 months ago, and he said he would get back with me about offering the re-refined oil to the general public through retailers. As of this date, I have not heard back from him.

I know re-refined motor oil, as long as it meets specs of all automobile manaufacturers would go a long way to slow our dependency on middle east oil. According to a July,2006 EPA report, re-refined oil is not economically feasible as of that date, and would require subsidies because of the huge costs associated with the equipment to do the re-refining. EPA did state that as time goes on, that the basestocks for re-refiners will improve and thus the re-refined oil will be better than in 2006. Most of the old oil is being burned in oil burners for heat and other things, then being recycled for reuse. The report was done very quickly for Congress and could not be involved in a long-term study, which might be better. The europeans subsidize the re-refinery business to keep it going. Could we do the same here in the U.S.? I don't know.....

Here is a comment from John Cutshall from Safety-Kleen as to why re-refined oil is not available in retail stores. He sent this to me yesterday 1.2.2009:

The real problem with retail marketing of our products is that there is little demand.

With low demand, it is impossible to get any retail outlets to stock the products.

Any time somebody goes into a parts store for oil, they are either looking for a name brand or the cheapest quart there. We do not offer either product.

"If you talked with Safety-Kleen in Waco, they do not distribute the America's Choice lubricants.

We have distributors in Ft. Worth, Fredericksburg and Gonzales.

These distributors do supply our government customers or sell our products as housebrand.

I'm sorry that I can not offer much hope of retail availability, but over the last 10 years, the State of California has spent tens of millions of dollars trying to generate retail demand for rerefined lubricants with little success.

With the economy down and State budgets being in the red, there will not be any support from those areas.

Thanks for your interest in our products."

Straight from Mr. Cutshall/Safety-Klean Regional Manager for Texas and the Western half of the U.S.

Here is a comment from John Cutshall from Safety-Kleen as to why re-refined oil is not available in retail stores. He sent this to me yesterday 1.2.2009:

The real problem with retail marketing of our products is that there is little demand.

With low demand, it is impossible to get any retail outlets to stock the products.

Any time somebody goes into a parts store for oil, they are either looking for a name brand or the cheapest quart there. We do not offer either product.

"If you talked with Safety-Kleen in Waco, they do not distribute the America's Choice lubricants.

We have distributors in Ft. Worth, Fredericksburg and Gonzales.

These distributors do supply our government customers or sell our products as housebrand.

I'm sorry that I can not offer much hope of retail availability, but over the last 10 years, the State of California has spent tens of millions of dollars trying to generate retail demand for rerefined lubricants with little success.

With the economy down and State budgets being in the red, there will not be any support from those areas.

Thanks for your interest in our products."

Straight from Mr. Cutshall/Safety-Klean Regional Manager for Texas and the Western half of the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back