Has Anyone Landed A Better Job Because Of Covid ?

I keep hearing employers are having a hard time finding people to fill jobs and are overpaying new hires and even offering sign on bonuses. Has anyone landed a better job because of Covid ?

I do feel I got a better job. I had to leave the dealer originally because of a reason of covid a customer complained about something that we weren’t following plus business was so slow at that time I didn’t see how we weren’t bankrupt. Then I ended up doing road service and that really sucked during the winter time. Gave that up and now I work for an independent shop it’s great. Today I trained the new 16 year old. Overall the pay is better now that the work has picked up. I didn’t get to train anyone before so this will be fun and a learning experience for me and him. I was supposed to go to work somewhere else but my friend who was going to be the boss went to finalize the sale of the building from the original owner of the building and the dude hadn’t paid taxes on it in years and they caught it when he went to finalize the sale so the city will auction off the building in a tax auction. They told him he could have it if he paid the taxes owed plus fees and it was thousands and thousands of dollars so he couldn’t afford it. Luckily I was able to keep my job at the other shop full time. I’m keeping this job as long as possible until a better opportunity comes along.

I have been unemployed for 21 years. Some times I think of getting a job but naaa the stress will mess me up. Ya know show up to work on time , no 2 hour lunches, then having return to work after lunch and don't steal from the company ,, just too stressful.

Unfortunately no, I was making $1,500-$2,000/WK after tax. Everyone got laid off, and there's not a lot of good paying jobs around here.
I got to spend time with my little one that I never got before, so it's not all bad.

Were you in the oil & gas industry ?

Enjoy your time with your kid(s).

Wife got laid off (they were expecting site shut down for a couple years), next job was crap and the job after was slightly better (but not better than her original job).

I don't think it has anything to do with COVID but having kids at home really limits us on what we can pick. Imagine if you are working in McDonalds and you need to either pay childcare to watch your kids (because daycare is limited in capacity due to social distance or your kids need a babysitter to school from home) so you can work in McDonalds, or you just stay home to watch your kid, I'd just stay home to watch kid too.

Same job, never stopped working (essential), however, things have been MUCH easier since covid started

Everyone keeps their distance and we rarely ever see our supervisors

No one breathing down our necks and we decide how and when we want to work

We just come in, knock out our assignments within the first hour of our shift, then disappear for the rest of the night

Those who live nearby pretty much go home and come back when it's time to punch out

The rest of us go chill in our cars which makes me so glad I have a comfy van with a Blue Ray player and recliners

never really stopped working...well just a month when this virus stuff started up...wife job got shut done basically the whole year , she worked maybe 3 weeks ..this year she's tired of all of it and is retiring. She worked at at resort so business just wasn't there ..myself i work home remodeling and plan on working at least a few more years

I changed jobs last summer. I went from staff at a state R1 University to faculty at a community college.

I actually took a small cut to base pay, but there were a few key things:

1. Guaranteed(by collective bargaining) COL pay raises every year. My previously employer had given us 2 in the 5 years I was there, and both were smaller than our guaranteed ones for here.

2. Opportunities for salary/title/position growth with clearly defined criteria and timelines. I know that as long as I do my job, a pay raise of at least 10%, possibly more(as two things will be happening simulatenously) will happen two years from now, and additional ones of the same magnitude on the table in 6 and 12 years.

3. Along the same lines as #2, this is a tenured position, and 3 years is the tenure eligibility timeline(really, really short). The expectations to get tenure are very clear, and I appreciate the job security that comes with that.

4. There are a lot of opportunities for extra pay("overload") that I can have more or less for the asking. Between this spring, summer, and fall that will amount to almost 50% over my base salary.

5. Since there are fewer institutional fees I have to pay back(no parking fee or other things that get skimmed off), lower health insurance premiums for equivalent coverage, and a few other odds and ends even with the base pay cut I end up with about $30/month less in my pocket. I can live with that.

It's not all about the money. This new position is a big change in primary job duties. I'm not really doing DIFFERENT things than I did before, but the relative importance of my duties was reordered dramatically .

There are things I miss, but the atmosphere here is great and I love being able to reach directly out to administrators with a question rather than having to follow a chain of command to get an answer.

Yes I was on the pipeline. I got about 6 months with my daughter, and I loved it. Got a job now. Way less money but it's got good benefits, and every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday off, so more time with the family.
Wait … they said you would be re trained as a high paid solar technician ?

Just as covid19 started, I started a new mainframe computer job with a major hotel chain. Then came furloughs. But I was the only one doing mainframe security do I was cut to 4 days. At the end of my 1 year contract I was hired as a FTE. I should be retired at almost 68.

I fall into the same situation as those whose current jobs are better.
I work in tech.
I was able to work from home for well over a year and the new policy starting this summer is to work from home 3 days a week. I suspect those other two days will be relinquished somewhat soon as the work from home has improved individual productivity massively. This is a mixed bag as people are now working longer days not having a commute. So, work-life balance is at an interesting crossroads.

My job got better with working from home, until the kids started school from home... Now I'm a teachers assistant as well! We have good recesses though, so that's a bonus.

Back