Change jobs from a short commute to a long one?

I kinda need another car though--wife drives quite a bit, like 25k/yr, and I'm estimating I'm going to be doing 25k this year (looked at my fuel log and I did, Aug 2022 to Aug 2023, 21k--and this fall I will be driving more). 4 drivers with 3 cars, we're already having to figure out who gets to drive when. The day all 4 of us are going in 4 different directions... isn't far off.

Since this is the long commuter thread, my standard in-office day is 108 miles roundtrip. But my son starts community college, is sort on the way, and I'm thinking those days will be 130 miles round trip. His sister can take his car on those days, so I think we're ok... right until a car breaks down.
Yeah, sounds like you may. I was just trying to compare options for the best 100 mile choice out of what you have or could buy. The new refreshed Prius is really sharp looking and has a lot going for it too. Good luck figuring it all out.

I have done this. TWICE.

Well, what I did was move from where we lived 18 miles from my office to 48 miles away. I was going from driving across the top end of the Atlanta suburbs, most against the flow in the mornings (there is no "flow" after 1:30 pm in Atlanta, it's ALL FLOW), to driving 48 miles one-way straight up through Atlanta and back down again in the afternoon.

Then a year later, we moved another 14 miles farther away. So I was at 62 miles one-way. One hour and fifiteen minutes minimum in the morning, leaving at 5:45 am sharp. No wrecks, no weather, I was there about 6:58. Leaving at 4:00 pm most days, at 3:00 on Fridays, I was looking at 1:45-3:00 hours to get home. Closer to 3:00 on most Thursdays, some Fridays. Wreck? Rain? Forget it.

I took another job, closer to home, no Atlanta traffic. Stayed away for about 27 months. Took another job almost next door to my old office, with some former co-workers, different (new) company. My deal was I came in the office on Mon and Wed, possibly a 3rd day of the week, no Fridays. Ok, this worked for about a year. Then came the offer of a 30% raise, but I was wanted in the office M-Th in a more personnel management role, etc. Ok.

I stuck it out another 2-1/2 years. Now I'm back at the place I left before that, same pay, 20 minutes each way, no Atlanta traffic, no real traffic to speak of.

I say this:

1. Really think about what your health is worth. Your health WILL DEGRADE. Why? Because you're spending 2+ hours per day sitting in a car instead of exercising that you promise to do. Your legs will become weaker, you will lose muscle, agility, strength and even balance.

Your knees, hips, ankles and feet will hurt, ache and just degrade. Your stress will go up. You will be stuck in traffic patterns and you will begin to think about how you could be at another job, closer to home, less time in a car. It will eat you.

2. Traffic, drivers, etc. It's never been a more time than now with danger on the roads. Criminally acting people are flooding the roads, insane people, angry people, driving like animals. They put your life in danger. They are on the roads from 5:00 am until 5:00 am. I didn't mis-type that. They are a bigger threat than a "mass shooter" at a mall to you. They are endangering your household income.

Along with that is crime. Criminals running from the cops. If you're not aware of what goes on today, look on Youtube for police chases (pursuits). It's not big cities. It's not there or there. It's where you live. Where I live, where everyone lives. There's a segment of the population that won't pull over for the cops. They simply run, take their chances. Those pursuits will put your life in danger.

3. You're going to wear a car out. You say the pay is the same. Well do you currently make enough to buy a 2nd (3rd) car that has a lot of life left in it to destroy (i.e.: Toyota Rav-4, Highlander, Lexus RX350)? You will have much more maintenance costs, fuel costs, etc.

4. You're going to get stuck in traffic jams. One might last an hour this week, 4-6 hours next week.

I won't do it again.
Well said, thanks for taking the time to break that down 👍 Clarified it nicely 😉

More than ever over the last 3 years, I think a lot of folks are starting to understand quality of life over quantity. Life's too short to always be looking at the future instead of focusing more on the present.

They're thinking I'll be miserable for a while until I make things better.

The next thing you know, you're divorced, dying of cancer, or just on your deathbed from old age, wondering where the "until things get better" part went 🤔

Definitely plan for the future, but make sure you and the family are happy now 👍 Never put that off 😃

The most important thing about a job change is, what sort of people will you have to deal with?
If things are good at the existing job and everyone gets along I'd stay. It will take a bunch of extra $ to commute
and the extra time out of your life doing so. I'd rather be sitting at home than sitting in a car in traffic.
Keep the close job.

I knew a guy that got his boss to pay him gas, tolls and 5 hours of OT per week since he asked for company car and position did not allow for a company car.

About an extra $400 a week just for traveling to and from work, 55 miles each way.

Wanted to test drive the latest Corolla today, but the dealer didn't have any (I guess it's to the point where you get to preorder now, sheesh). Anyhow, our '2021 Camry is a nice highway cruiser, I haven't checked mpg's but it has to be mid 40's. But. When driving it last week I found myself not quite knowing where the front driver corner was. Not quite as small as my '99 Camry--but I think they both are same size footprint? so I wonder if a Corolla would feel more at home for me.

All I know is that I try not to drive our '21 as much as I can. End of the day, I still have to go back to a much older car. [But the luddite/BITOG in me wonders which will still be on the road in 10 years.]
Tell you what, a brand new Corolla parked next to me today, I was surprised at just how small the thing looked. I’m in Puerto Rico right now, and we rented a car (Hyundai Elantra), and the Corolla seemed tiny compared to it. The Corolla does have electric parking brakes - heard them engage - it’s a nice looking little car, but it is little. Your 2021 Camry is going to feel like a limousine compared to the Corolla. I still like the Corolla as a commuter, but if a Camry is getting similar gas mileage for those long daily commutes, I’d go with the Camry. 100%

I commuted thru countryside for 15 years. One hour each way. Was the best time of each day. No children to take care of, wife worked long hours, too.

Drive to the worksite for the next few weekends, and see if you can handle it. Get a small commuter car that is also quiet and comfy. I drove an Impreza, needed the AWD for 1+ foot of snow several times a year. Highest tank calculated mileage was 38.something, but usually 32ish MPG.

Tell you what, a brand new Corolla parked next to me today, I was surprised at just how small the thing looked. I’m in Puerto Rico right now, and we rented a car (Hyundai Elantra), and the Corolla seemed tiny compared to it. The Corolla does have electric parking brakes - heard them engage - it’s a nice looking little car, but it is little. Your 2021 Camry is going to feel like a limousine compared to the Corolla. I still like the Corolla as a commuter, but if a Camry is getting similar gas mileage for those long daily commutes, I’d go with the Camry. 100%
It's like a $5k difference--assuming either can be found (I'm only after base model, zero desire for low profile tires on 17"+ rims).

I'm sure it's a nicer car, which is why I want the Camry. But. For just commuting?

Will say I don't want anything longer, otherwise I'd have to rearrange my garage to make it fit.

It's like a $5k difference--assuming either can be found (I'm only after base model, zero desire for low profile tires on 17"+ rims).

I'm sure it's a nicer car, which is why I want the Camry. But. For just commuting?

Will say I don't want anything longer, otherwise I'd have to rearrange my garage to make it fit.
Yeah, for $5,000, if you’re just bombing up and down the highways commuting everyday, putting 25,000-30,000 miles a year on it...I see your point. Save the five grand and burn through the Corolla. They are nice looking little cars.

Yeah, right. In a "comfortable, hybrid vehicle". LOL
I’d argue my accord hybrid is very comfortable. I love it. I’d buy another.

Spending hours per day commuting, especially if it’s in traffic, however, is a horrendous scenario.

If it were one time per week, OK. I do that most weeks to dc. Not the end of the world.

Good old Joe Biden commuted 1.5 hours or so on Amtrak daily. I used to ride with him and a number of other Congresspeople before Covid. Public transit of it’s reasonable, can be ok.

But it will be bad for the health and well being unless it can be controlled in one’s favor.

I did a 100 mile round trip commute for like 8 months. I hated life at that time. Leaving 90-100 minutes before work started. Having that drive after work. My time, my gas, it wasn’t worth it. But your situation may be different. I could be told to come in on weekends too. Sometimes shorter work days, sometimes not. I felt like I was never home unless I was sleeping or showering. Also if weather is a factor that doesn’t help. Currently all these years later I work 2-3 miles from home. Man I love the short ride. A friend of mine was in your situation and took the new job 60 miles away. Slightly better pay and possible management position to be held. He’s still there and did get into management but is never home. Bought a 4 cylinder used car for the commute too. But really if he’d stayed at his other job he probably would be doing about the same and driving 500+ miles less a week. I guess it’s just up to you.

Last edited:
Interesting to see this pop up. I wound up with a Corolla in the end. ;) Cheapskate. Although I’m car shopping (again) so who knows what I’ll wind up commuting in, in the future.

Will say, I spent a week after the daughter totaled a car doing 3 hours a day of driving, and that was quite frankly exhausting (20min to take her to school, 20 home, then take the son to school and me to work, another 1:15 each way there). I don‘t get it, I did 15 years of 2 hours a day of commuting (before the 2yr covid break), now it’s a drag for sure. But moving closer to work would be… better? I’d have to give up the ranch style house that we need (single story living) and live in the ‘burbs, battle with an HOA, and deal with traffic.

Downside of moving to where I’d like to retire to, I guess.

I contracted with FedEx for several years. I went basically anywhere in the U.S. or Canada that had a road. Load Friday morning in Alvin, TX. (~30 mi. south of Houston) deliver Monday morning in Syracuse, NY unload half then deliver the other half to Baltimore by end of day. ~2000 miles. That one was in 2011. Now going to my doctor 7 miles away seems like a long trip.

I’ve been doing a 75-mile per day rt commute for the last 3.25 years. It’s all country highways, takes 45 mins with no stop and go. Bad weather longest it has taken is an hour and 10 minutes.
It was a promotion that started me doing it, and I just got another promotion, so it has worked out well for me.
My 2009 G5 is surprisingly comfortable, and gets about 34-36 mpg on the highway. I’m going to wring every last mile I can out of it!

Back