Change jobs from a short commute to a long one?

I don't want to get into the weeds / details too much; let me try to keep it brief.
My current commute to work is 2.5 miles one way, about six minutes. I am considering changing jobs to where my commute would be 50 miles and 50 minutes.
Insurance and benefits are comparable, perhaps just slightly better at my current job. Pay would be comparable starting out, long term would likely have more opportunity for advancement at the new job. My main issue is job satisfaction. While the jobs are somewhat similar at a base level, I believe I would enjoy the new job much more. I currently work five days a week, six days a week 50% of the time, or more. New job would be four-tens, Monday through Thursday.
With two hours of driving, Monday - Thursday would be 12-hour days.
Long term, if I commute, I will try to sell the Explorer and get maybe a Corolla. I would need to save up for that to happen (just bought the RAV4). I would likely be driving the Tacoma most days. (In signature) (Maybe could pull 23-25 MPG??)
Or, long term, sell our current house and buy something closer. (That's a big deal, of course).
Thoughts?

I have a 59 mile, 1:15 commute. If I'm on standard hours there's a paid van pool that I can take 2/3 of the way. But if I'm getting overtime I have to drive the whole nut. Since I sleep on the van, this means several more hours being awake and conscious for work- or work-related things.

You should be honest with yourself and count the commute time as work time, in which case you're taking an effective pay cut.

PS having worked 4-10s as shift work the first day off is a recovery day.

Numbers? you don’t have to share, but, needs to run ‘em. Extra gas, plus perhaps extra payment? extra tire wear and oil usage, plus vehicle depreciation. Against pay increase.

Moving isn’t easy, and a bit expensive today…

Long commute is bad for the health. I like it, lots of time for sitting and being lost in thought. Would go nuts if I had to deal with traffic, but my 54 mile commute can be done in less than 55 minutes (ahem). Lets me live in a quiet town where I would be happy to retire to, and it is so nice to watch work and its city in the rearview mirror…

One upshot, I pass a number of stores on the way and can often get shopping done as part of my community.

Too many vehicles and non drivers on the road today. Not using turn signals properly, running red lights is common, looking or texting on there cell phones, etc...... Nope --- simple is good. I have a 12.8 mile drive -- to and from all on the same road. Been down that road with a 40 mile drive one way and HATED IT!!!! Also, gas prices are not getting any cheaper.

Numbers? you don’t have to share, but, needs to run ‘em. Extra gas, plus perhaps extra payment? extra tire wear and oil usage, plus vehicle depreciation. Against pay increase.

Moving isn’t easy, and a bit expensive today…

Long commute is bad for the health. I like it, lots of time for sitting and being lost in thought. Would go nuts if I had to deal with traffic, but my 54 mile commute can be done in less than 55 minutes (ahem). Lets me live in a quiet town where I would be happy to retire to, and it is so nice to watch work and its city in the rearview mirror…

One upshot, I pass a number of stores on the way and can often get shopping done as part of my community.
I'm not sure I would purposely switch jobs to one with a much longer commute unless there was some immediate benefit involved. Possible job growth, unless it was a sure thing, I don't think I could factor that in especially going from 6 minutes to 50 minute commute. There's not just time involved but all the vehicle/fuel costs associated with it. I would recommend buying a disposable commuter car (older Corolla is a great idea) because vehicle depreciation on something nicer will be horrendous; I've made that mistake before.

My commute is exactly 35 miles, or 40-45 minutes depending on traffic. I don't mind it, in fact my thoughts on it mirror the above post. The commute allows me to live far enough outside the city (Louisville) where it feels like "country"- and I can afford some acreage and a nicer house than what I would get closer to work. When I leave work, the city is in the rearview and that's just how I like it. That said, there's plenty of times I'm jealous of people that tell me they get home in 5 or 10 minutes.

If I had to endure stop and go / heavy traffic, I wouldn't do it. I don't think my personality would allow that without me arriving at home/work miserable. It's mostly easy driving on high speed US highways, with a handful of stoplights here and there. The drive gives me personal time by myself I wouldn't get any other way (I have 4 kids and a job lol).

I commute 27 miles each way..... a very easy drive on the interstate. I think to me it's more important as to what type of commute, not just the time/distance. If it's a nightmare of traffic and congestion I would not want that.
I used to have a 3 mile commute to work. I moved 30 miles out to a nice rural area with better schools for my kids and I had a lot of anxiety about the commute but it turned out to be mentally therapeutic to decompress on the way home.

Many are trapped by the interest rate differential between the old and new mortgages.
If I read correctly the current job sounds like a dead end but potential room for advancement at the new job isn’t necessarily guaranteed.
My wife had a 100 mile round trip 45 minutes each way mostly interstate commute at her current job until Covid hit and she has worked from home ever since. It is very apparent how much she saves by not commuting and would rather change jobs than driving that far again.

Let me start here… You can’t put a price on mental health including job satisfaction. I took a new role at the same company about a year and half ago. It has revitalized my personal life and career. Often times you don’t realize how much a job you don’t like affects you.

I think you should evaluate all of this financially as well. You should also consider your time away from home on your family if applicable. Long term moving might be a better option.

I hope you find a solution to your situation.

Just my $0.02

I would recommend buying a disposable commuter car (older Corolla is a great idea) because vehicle depreciation on something nicer will be horrendous; I've made that mistake before.
I agree, although one time I bought the car I wanted, and kept it for over 10 years (and 300k). That was a commuter that I loved.

That said, there's plenty of times I'm jealous of people that tell me they get home in 5 or 10 minutes.
Ditto. In college I was carless and biked to/from school, and while it definitely had bad days, I was in way better shape for it, and my wallet thanked me too. But these days, I step onto my porch and... yeah it's nice.

I don't want to get into the weeds / details too much; let me try to keep it brief.
My current commute to work is 2.5 miles one way, about six minutes. I am considering changing jobs to where my commute would be 50 miles and 50 minutes.
Insurance and benefits are comparable, perhaps just slightly better at my current job. Pay would be comparable starting out, long term would likely have more opportunity for advancement at the new job. My main issue is job satisfaction. While the jobs are somewhat similar at a base level, I believe I would enjoy the new job much more. I currently work five days a week, six days a week 50% of the time, or more. New job would be four-tens, Monday through Thursday.
With two hours of driving, Monday - Thursday would be 12-hour days.
Long term, if I commute, I will try to sell the Explorer and get maybe a Corolla. I would need to save up for that to happen (just bought the RAV4). I would likely be driving the Tacoma most days. (In signature) (Maybe could pull 23-25 MPG??)
Or, long term, sell our current house and buy something closer. (That's a big deal, of course).
Thoughts?
As one who commuted 140 miles RT for many years my suggestion is:
1) and Foremost is COMFORT without that your whole day is shot and you performance at work & home is affected.
2) MPG this effect your take home pay
3) Reliability as this affects the above.

Look for a comfortable hybrid vehicle. The idea of doing shopping or errands along the way makes your commute more productive.

I would do it for a period of time before making any decision to move. A one hour commute is pretty common these days. During that commute you can unwind from the job before arriving home.

As for the long term, keep in mind that because of climate hysteria the rumors of 15 minute cities, climate lock downs and limited use of your ICE vehicle may become a reality in the not so distant future. Not trying to engage in a debate here, just trying to help you see the big picture.

Tough call. When I graduated from college in 2000, my first job was 64 miles one way. My commute was 1 hour and 20 minutes, sometimes longer with traffic. It was tiring. I like to drive though so it didn't always bother me. The traffic is what got to me.

Been working from home the last 3 years (April of 2020). I can't believe it's been 3 years since I was last in an office.

Tough call. When I graduated from college in 2000, my first job was 64 miles one way. My commute was 1 hour and 20 minutes, sometimes longer with traffic. It was tiring. I like to drive though so it didn't always bother me. The traffic is what got to me.

Been working from home the last 3 years (April of 2020). I can't believe it's been 3 years since I was last in an office.
Traffic everyday can turn you into Bruce Banister.

If it's a job you really want, myself I would look to relocate closer. That's just me. I no longer enjoy driving and sharing the road with the many idiots out and would make for a very unpleasant commute.

This is similar to what I had to choose. Here's how I went about it.

Long term upside is a big deal. I'm doing nearly the same thing now as my last employer making nearly double.
The four day (only) schedule is huge to me. You only have to drive there four days and even at a 12 hour commitment those days, it opens up a lot more time for you. I worked four tens for nine years and it sucked when they took it away.
I would change vehicles too. This is a good idea.
Housing? Try the new drive for six months or so and then decide. If you don't like any of the areas closer to the employer more than your current one, don't move. Just eat the time commitment for the four days and enjoy the rest.

Good luck. Follow up with what you decided and why.....

Back