Change jobs from a short commute to a long one?

Twenty years ago you might have had a point. Today, not so much and I do speak from 90K miles of driving in an Accord Hybrid.

You have a point. My commuter vehicle was (still own it) a 2015 Lexus RX350. Those are available as a hybrid, same vehicle. It is "ok" for comfort for a full-size man. It's not like my Tundra....

I cannot and will not recommend any "car", sedan, compact, etc., for interstate commuting, especially through major metro areas. I harp on this, but crime and behavior of other drivers today make these vehicles very dangerous. I know this is action-movie-like, but I have been stuck/hampered by two separate interstate-blocking "peaceful protests". It's not a very comforting feeling, even if you have plenty of tools to assist you defending yourself. I assure you that a mid-size SUV is at least more comfortable, more confident, more capable of being able to handle a decent wreck or evading hoards of people, debris, etc., in a life-or-death situation. If you're commuting through a large city today and choose to bury your head in the sand regarding what really goes on in these areas, so be it.

Something to take a note about; an hour commute in normal traffic can easily turn into a 1h30min or 2 hour commute. It took me two hours yesterday to drive home when it would normally take me 1 hour with no traffic or 1.5 hours in normal rush hour traffic.

Or longer. A minor wreck on the interstate system around Atlanta can put a 2-6 hour delay in your lap.

Pay attention, folks. Most areas now have multiple emergency response agencies responding to a minor accident or a mid-level accident with $4-6M in VEHICLES plus 25+ personnel. A modern fire truck, which in most cases there seems to be a minimum of two ladder trucks or pumper engines, are showing up to 2-4 vehicle accidents on interstate highways. I know they are using them to block dangerous traffic from the cops, EMTs, etc., but these, along with the personnel, then 3-4 police cars, 1-2 highway "heroes", etc. and you've got flashing lights, large vehicles scattered in 5 different directions and LOTS and LOTS of personnel out there. Most of it - I have no idea what it's for.

Those two fire trucks cost $2-3M each. An ambulance or emergency transport truck is $450k+. Each police car today is $100k.

It is nothing but 100% distraction to drivers. It will even cause the opposite direction to slow down and cause a 45-60 minute delay in most cases. The other side, over an 8' tall wall!

Haven't commuted in an SUV yet. Ran my Tundra for a year or two, then went back to sedans. Saturn SL (base, no power steering!)-> Jetta wagon->Tundra->Camry. The Tundra had its moments, but it's also the only vehicle I've driven through an intersection sideways (oops, guessed the amount of snow wrong).

I think it's highly dependent on where you live.

Have gotten caught in a few snowstorms, that can tack on time for sure. One of the reasons why I like to buy snow tires, I don't have to crawl, I can usually make decent time, once out of the city.

You have a point. My commuter vehicle was (still own it) a 2015 Lexus RX350. Those are available as a hybrid, same vehicle. It is "ok" for comfort for a full-size man. It's not like my Tundra....

I cannot and will not recommend any "car", sedan, compact, etc., for interstate commuting, especially through major metro areas. I harp on this, but crime and behavior of other drivers today make these vehicles very dangerous. I know this is action-movie-like, but I have been stuck/hampered by two separate interstate-blocking "peaceful protests". It's not a very comforting feeling, even if you have plenty of tools to assist you defending yourself. I assure you that a mid-size SUV is at least more comfortable, more confident, more capable of being able to handle a decent wreck or evading hoards of people, debris, etc., in a life-or-death situation. If you're commuting through a large city today and choose to bury your head in the sand regarding what really goes on in these areas, so be it.
Most of the vehicles on the road colloquially refered to as SUVs are really CUVs and are built on sedan or minivan platforms, the RX350 being an example of this.
In terms of safety, the fatal injury rate statistics don't bear out your assertion that CUVs or SUVs are safer than sedans, rather the reverse of that. Real SUVs are especially prone to single vehicle loss of control accidents, as are pickups.
In a difficult situation, I'd personally prefer the strong acceleration, brakes and cornering ability of a good hybrid sedan over a CUV that excels in none of these things
Tastes and opinions vary, which is the reason that we have choice in the market.
You like your Tundra and I like my hybrid sedan. You wouldn't own mine nor would I own yours.

Haven't commuted in an SUV yet. Ran my Tundra for a year or two, then went back to sedans. Saturn SL (base, no power steering!)-> Jetta wagon->Tundra->Camry. The Tundra had its moments, but it's also the only vehicle I've driven through an intersection sideways (oops, guessed the amount of snow wrong).

It's not much different except I notice small cars cutting me off more vs the opposite in the focus. Although it's cheaper to find a more comfortable sedan than it is an suv; I wish I got something like a BMW 5 series instead of the CX5 (Fusion was really comfy but the hybrid battery left no trunk space.)

Toyota Corolla is best for long highway drives to work.

No need for gas guzzler especially with gas prices going up.

It really depends, do you like to drive? If not don’t do it.

For me I like to drive, I went from a 25 mile commute to a 40 mile commute (one way), and for only a slight bump in salary (with chance for advancement - and I did advance).

I did this for 6-7 years in a Lexus LS460 - absolutely loved that car - and I piled the miles on it; didn’t care, I love to drive and I love car maintenance (why I come here so often). But it really does depend on the TYPE OF COMMUTE. I would NEVER do a long high traffic/city commute (unless I was getting a $50,000 dollar a year raise). If it’s an easy 50 mile freeway commute, I’d take that job in a second (plus you’re getting a four day schedule, that’s a HUGE deal).

I’ve never had any health issues because of my commute, I work out when I get home.

Weather can be a factor, I’ve driven through snow storms, i Plan ahead, and only get caught a couple times a year in those.

You could take the job, try it for a couple years. See if you advance, and if so, move a little closer to work. That’s exactly what I did. Tried it for a few years, advanced, made more money, moved, bought a better house, better town, easier commute. But I actually miss my longer commute some days (I found it relaxing 90% of the time). I still have a 27 mile commute now, and I like it, but I’d take a longer commute for more advancement again if given the opportunity. But I love driving.

Toyota Corolla is best for long highway drives to work.

No need for gas guzzler especially with gas prices going up.
I agree, that’s a great commuter car without actually feeling too much like you’re in a commuter car (Like a Yaris or something).

But there’s also something to be said about enjoy the drive/quality of life, type thing. I commuted 80 miles a day in a Lexus LS460, plus another 100 or so on the weekends. I loved that car...actually managed around 26 mpg in it most of the year (aside from very cold months where it would drop down to 24).

I now commute in a 2016 Avalon. But I would consider a Corolla if I was driving 100 plus miles a day - those things are the ultimate commuter car.

Surprised at the suggestion of a Corolla--figured Camry would get the nod, longer wheelbase, more stuff done to reduce NVH. TCO is probably better though, cheaper to buy, cheaper tires, and maybe a bump in mpg (things have changed lately with hybrid drivetrains).

There's 2 important things with a long commute IMO.

Traffic. If you spend an hour driving and it's bumper to bumper, lots of stop lights, navigating through town zig-zagging left and right at lights, that's hard compared to sitting on the highway cruising along for an hour.

Comfort of the vehicle. I'd die commuting in something like my '96 Jeep Cherokee. I did it today but I could never make a habit out of it. My commute is 25-30 min or so and the Genesis makes it so much more enjoyable. A couch on wheels. If I had to drive 100 miles a day I'd still drive the couch on wheels at 22 mpg. Depreciation is your friend ;).

Numbers? you don’t have to share, but, needs to run ‘em. Extra gas, plus perhaps extra payment? extra tire wear and oil usage, plus vehicle depreciation. Against pay increase.

Moving isn’t easy, and a bit expensive today…

Long commute is bad for the health. I like it, lots of time for sitting and being lost in thought. Would go nuts if I had to deal with traffic, but my 54 mile commute can be done in less than 55 minutes (ahem). Lets me live in a quiet town where I would be happy to retire to, and it is so nice to watch work and its city in the rearview mirror…

One upshot, I pass a number of stores on the way and can often get shopping done as part of my community.
Another thing to consider is company match of 40k1 and the time to become vested in the 401k.
I prefer staying at 1 company for a long time so all the perks become fully and permanently effective.

Off Topic:

When my brother was in the Navy stationed in San Diego his coworker rode a motorcycle 100 miles each way to work cause the wife wanted to stay in California and they bought a house.

Happy Wife…. Happy Life. :unsure:

Luckily he was riding 200 miles a day for only a year and finished his 20 year career.

Last edited:
If you think that you enjoy the job better, go for it.
I did 130 miles a day for 18 years.
I would leave the house at 4:45 in the morning, and had days that I didn't get home until after 10, or sometimes even 11.
There were times that 4 or 5 hours sleep was the norm.
I would recommend that you avoid the Corolla for a long commute.
I can say that because I had a Chevy Nova and Prism (both.)
For that purpose, they were true penalty boxes.
I had (in addition to the two Toyolets,) several Ford Rangers, a 2000 Taurus, and the Accord in my signature finished out my career until retirement.
If you are going to do it, find something that is comfortable to ride in and drive.
Even the Rangers (Supercabs) were a step up in comfort.

Another thing to consider is company match of 40k1 and the time to become vested in the 401k.
I prefer staying at 1 company for a long time so all the perks become fully and permanently effective.
Good point. I'm at 23 years now but got some perks that won't vest for 2 more years. This year has been touch and go at times but there's a good incentive to stay.

One needs to look at many factors when it comes to changing. One of my coworkers elected to stay after weighing them out; he has seen what we do to ride out storms. [He wasn't there for it but back in the Great Recession, when some of the semis were upwards of 40% layoffs, we were single digit.]

If you think that you enjoy the job better, go for it.
I did 130 miles a day for 18 years.
I would leave the house at 4:45 in the morning, and had days that I didn't get home until after 10, or sometimes even 11.
There were times that 4 or 5 hours sleep was the norm.
I would recommend that you avoid the Corolla for a long commute.
I can say that because I had a Chevy Nova and Prism (both.)
For that purpose, they were true penalty boxes.
I had (in addition to the two Toyolets,) several Ford Rangers, a 2000 Taurus, and the Accord in my signature finished out my career until retirement.
If you are going to do it, find something that is comfortable to ride in and drive.
Even the Rangers (Supercabs) were a step up in comfort.
Had a fried that did a similar commute (150 a day), and he was doing it in a Ford Edge. Those were his bread and butter commuters for reliability, good driving position and weather traction. The first one he destroyed (front differential I believe), lack of maintenance overall; he‘d let the oil go to 10,000 miles without checking it, never changed the coolant, and transmission fluid. The second one he totaled...fell asleep at the wheel three miles from work. Luckily he was ok, car not so much. He knows drives a Hyundai Santa Fe - he hates the thing - but his commute is much shorter now.

Surprised at the suggestion of a Corolla--figured Camry would get the nod, longer wheelbase, more stuff done to reduce NVH. TCO is probably better though, cheaper to buy, cheaper tires, and maybe a bump in mpg (things have changed lately with hybrid drivetrains).
You bring up a good point...didn’t realize the Camry gets great fuel economy too (a 2020 Camry with the 2.5L is getting supposedly 41 mpg highway and a combined city/highway of 33). That’s remarkable for a car that size. Yeah I guess I would decide on the Camry over the Corolla. Plus the Camry looks better. IMO.

You bring up a good point...didn’t realize the Camry gets great fuel economy too (a 2020 Camry with the 2.5L is getting supposedly 41 mpg highway and a combined city/highway of 33). That’s remarkable for a car that size. Yeah I guess I would decide on the Camry over the Corolla. Plus the Camry looks better. IMO.
Wanted to test drive the latest Corolla today, but the dealer didn't have any (I guess it's to the point where you get to preorder now, sheesh). Anyhow, our '2021 Camry is a nice highway cruiser, I haven't checked mpg's but it has to be mid 40's. But. When driving it last week I found myself not quite knowing where the front driver corner was. Not quite as small as my '99 Camry--but I think they both are same size footprint? so I wonder if a Corolla would feel more at home for me.

All I know is that I try not to drive our '21 as much as I can. End of the day, I still have to go back to a much older car. [But the luddite/BITOG in me wonders which will still be on the road in 10 years.]

Wanted to test drive the latest Corolla today, but the dealer didn't have any (I guess it's to the point where you get to preorder now, sheesh). Anyhow, our '2021 Camry is a nice highway cruiser, I haven't checked mpg's but it has to be mid 40's. But. When driving it last week I found myself not quite knowing where the front driver corner was. Not quite as small as my '99 Camry--but I think they both are same size footprint? so I wonder if a Corolla would feel more at home for me.

All I know is that I try not to drive our '21 as much as I can. End of the day, I still have to go back to a much older car. [But the luddite/BITOG in me wonders which will still be on the road in 10 years.]
'99 Camry/ '21Camry/ '23 Corolla
Length 188.5/192.1/182.5
Wheelbase 105.2/111.2/106.3
Headroom 38.6/38.3/38.3
Leg Room 43.5/42.1/42
Shoulder Room 56.2/57.7/54.0
MPG Hwy/Combined 28/23 53/52 41/35

So the '21 Camry is a few inches longer and has an extra half foot of wheelbase to make for a more comfortable ride. Add to the mix the '23 Corolla Hybrid with 46/50 hwy/combined and only $1300 higher MSRP and it may tilt the balance. Really though, the '21 Camry Hybrid doesn't require buying another car and has the best hwy MPG by a large margin.

Really though, the '21 Camry Hybrid doesn't require buying another car and has the best hwy MPG by a large margin.
I kinda need another car though--wife drives quite a bit, like 25k/yr, and I'm estimating I'm going to be doing 25k this year (looked at my fuel log and I did, Aug 2022 to Aug 2023, 21k--and this fall I will be driving more). 4 drivers with 3 cars, we're already having to figure out who gets to drive when. The day all 4 of us are going in 4 different directions... isn't far off.

Since this is the long commuter thread, my standard in-office day is 108 miles roundtrip. But my son starts community college, is sort on the way, and I'm thinking those days will be 130 miles round trip. His sister can take his car on those days, so I think we're ok... right until a car breaks down.

I kinda need another car though--wife drives quite a bit, like 25k/yr, and I'm estimating I'm going to be doing 25k this year (looked at my fuel log and I did, Aug 2022 to Aug 2023, 21k--and this fall I will be driving more). 4 drivers with 3 cars, we're already having to figure out who gets to drive when. The day all 4 of us are going in 4 different directions... isn't far off.

Since this is the long commuter thread, my standard in-office day is 108 miles roundtrip. But my son starts community college, is sort on the way, and I'm thinking those days will be 130 miles round trip. His sister can take his car on those days, so I think we're ok... right until a car breaks down.
Having carpooled various times with my wife when we worked "in the same area" and added between 5 - 30 miles to the daily round trip dependant on where we were, I can tell you it gets old fast, but I am guessing I'm telling you something you are already anticipating.

Then again, I would still probably do it rather than pile an unnecessary 100 miles on a separate car.

Back