What job for a young, intelligent woman with a communications degree?

to many young people want to start at the top of the ladder, it usually doesn't work that way., i see it happen within my own family. some had decent job offers that started at say 15-20 an hour and they turned it down only to end up working at fast food place's part time or wherever for far less

Homeschooler? Please.
It's either that or kids are taught that boys can be girls and vice versa. My children were homeschooled thru high school and today are VERY successful grown and responsible adults; my son is six figures a year, owns 3 homes, (rents two) and he is barely 30, dual degree with honors in computer science and mathematics. (STEM). Generally speaking, in my experience, those who criticize homeschooling know very little of it. Please.

Take a look at the larger corporations. I understand corporate is not always popular, but there are good opportunities for a career in organizations that recognize the critical role of Communications. This may be in PR, Marketing, Customer Relations, HR, Media Relations and more. I know it's a competitive area, but what isn't.

Wishing her all the very best.

It's either that or kids are taught that boys can be girls and vice versa. My children were homeschooled thru high school and today are VERY successful grown and responsible adults; my son is six figures a year, owns 3 homes, (rents two) and he is barely 30, dual degree with honors in computer science and mathematics. (STEM). Generally speaking, in my experience, those who criticize homeschooling know very little of it. Please.
I know about about the theories of Evolution and The Big Bang.

to many young people want to start at the top of the ladder, it usually doesn't work that way., i see it happen within my own family. some had decent job offers that started at say 15-20 an hour and they turned it down only to end up working at fast food place's part time or wherever for far less
No such thing as bad experience if you are in the learning mode. My brother (CPA) and I (engineer) still quote and apply the wisdom learned from our supervisor on our summer job at a lumberyard. He may have possibly finished 8th grade, but the advice and wisdom passed along to a couple of green as grass kids has been as relevant and useful as the things learned in college.

That’s not a degree you can really use to find a decent middle class job.

If she doesn’t want to do radio or media, PR spokesperson or agent for a government utility would probably be her best opportunity. Another may be as a teacher for the local school district.
School Districts have PR people now. Paid more than most teachers too.

My 26 year old niece broke up with her boyfriend and I'm renting her my walkout basement apartment. She moved here hoping there might be more opportunities with her BA in communications. She is smart, well spoken and can carry on a conversation with anyone. Right now she's an order picker at a grocery store. She has a talk radio voice and has done a few voice overs for ads but said those only paid $250 each.

She was just offered a part-time job at a radio station for $17 an hour and was told she could make more if sponsors wanted her for ad work. She turned it down. I told her many people start low, traverse their way into bigger and better things and that radio might get you recognition.

What jobs should she look into?

Well she's proving that she's part of the "next generation" for sure.

One thing I've found with younger people today is they want zero part of taking a job with some supposed, lower-paying salary where they might LEARN something.... And everyone expects $75k to start.

I’d quit the grocery picker job and go for the $17/hr job at the radio station until either she can move up there, or find a better job.

In 1991, I quit a grocery store job I had been working at for 3-1/2 years to take a job at an engineering firm to begin my career in what I went to school for. I also took a pay cut of $0.75/hr.

I there's less than 1% of the younger population that would do that today.....Well, many won't even work at a grocery store while going to school.

In 1991, I quit a grocery store job I had been working at for 3-1/2 years to take a job at an engineering firm to begin my career in what I went to school for. I also took a pay cut of $0.75/hr.

I there's less than 1% of the younger population that would do that today.....Well, many won't even work at a grocery store while going to school.

What career field of engineering ?

Well she's proving that she's part of the "next generation" for sure.

One thing I've found with younger people today is they want zero part of taking a job with some supposed, lower-paying salary where they might LEARN something.... And everyone expects $75k to start.
Thing is, if someone is in a state where they can be asked their current salary, are they "stuck" until they find a company that decides to make them a "generous" offer compared to where they are? If they take the job and are underpaid (to the extent they can do a market check and get a more competitive offer) should they stay still because they can learn, if so how long? All dynamics that need to be taken into consideration IMHO.

Last edited:
Thing is, if someone is in a state where they can be asked their current salary, are they "stuck" until they find a company that decides to make them a "generous" offer compared to where they are? If they take the job and are underpaid (to the extent they can do a market check and get a more competitive offer) should they stay still because they can learn, if so how long? All dynamics that need to be taken into consideration IMHO.

What? None of that makes sense....

Did you read and understand the OP? This is a fresh-out-of-college young woman who chose a degree that doesn't have many options, the degree doesn't support a career in which basic human functions are required to live (i.e.: industrial, medical, etc.) and chose NOT to take a job where she could start using the degree, instead kept a retail job.

Experience, effort and hard work get you advancements in positions, salary, etc., not playing games with employment laws, wondering what this state allows, what that megacorp will offer, etc.

My 26 year old niece broke up with her boyfriend and I'm renting her my walkout basement apartment. She moved here hoping there might be more opportunities with her BA in communications. She is smart, well spoken and can carry on a conversation with anyone. Right now she's an order picker at a grocery store. She has a talk radio voice and has done a few voice overs for ads but said those only paid $250 each.

She was just offered a part-time job at a radio station for $17 an hour and was told she could make more if sponsors wanted her for ad work. She turned it down. I told her many people start low, traverse their way into bigger and better things and that radio might get you recognition.

What jobs should she look into?
Most larger cities and counties have a “communications” position that serves as a spokesperson for local government and law enforcement agencies. They communicate as needed with the public, media, and internally with staff, commissioners, council members, and front line employees.

My oldest sister has a communication degree, worked for the Yellow Pages and when to law school afterwards, now has a law firm.

A communication degree is similar to a business degree, lots of avenues to pursue.

What? None of that makes sense....

Did you read and understand the OP? This is a fresh-out-of-college young woman who chose a degree that doesn't have many options, the degree doesn't support a career in which basic human functions are required to live (i.e.: industrial, medical, etc.) and chose NOT to take a job where she could start using the degree, instead kept a retail job.

Experience, effort and hard work get you advancements in positions, salary, etc., not playing games with employment laws, wondering what this state allows, what that megacorp will offer, etc.

Self made billionaire Ray Dalio once said…….. “When you know nothing, you learn everything.”

This is 100% true for a young person entering any industry / career field.

I tell the youngins at my job what Dalio says. (y)
People right out of college have to take entry level jobs and learn as much as they can, then move on to a better job, a few years later another better job, etc….

Last edited:
Back