What job for a young, intelligent woman with a communications degree?

I hear women with good communication skills can make a career on TicTok
One of the girls from church became a social media manager for a singer/celebrity

Doable with the right personality but I wouldn’t recommend it. Both are a step above slavery

$17/hr in radio is really about all you can expect, my friend wasn’t making much above minimum wage 10 years ago at a local radio graveyard show.
If it’s her interest just give it a try for a while.

Imho she should be open to anything.

My heart was set on being a financial analyst. Dating myself—I wanted to eventually work on pensions.

I worked in collections. Terrible job. Making matters worse was we had goals so we needed to collect even when we knew people didn’t owe or when there was some administrative error causing their debt.

An IT job opened. A then “older” woman in the office asked me if I were applying (40 yo or so). I said nah, 6 other people are, 5 supervisors and one manager. Chris decided to take the job description and tape it to my monitor. I applied, interviewed, and got the job. I remember thinking my boss is old (he was 36 😂).

My point is I was sure I was going to work in finance or on pensions, and wound up in IT. I’ve already had my job eliminated once (telecom) and learned something new just 8 years ago, and remained in IT.

I think people should remain open minded in their 20’s…

Technically, "communication" is not a high paying degree. You likely have to rely on your street smart to generate income with that degree. Maybe sales, admin, HR, and move up after you have some experience? I am not sure what is the high in demand field these days but you are kind of on your own with that degree.

One thing I would recommend against is to double down and get a master / PhD in that field, you will never make the investment of time and tuition back.

I was 25 when I started in my career field. Started at the bottom and have had several promotions since then and obtained certification since that has all drastically increased my compensation. If I were in her position I would put the focus on getting in the door and set longer term goals from there.

If she has a great speaking voice, can maintain that under pressure, and is confident at multitasking, she should consider municipal or state public safety dispatch.

Good candidates are recognized and rise quickly in terms of pay and responsibilities.

I started my law enforcement career as a dispatcher and supervised a communications center for a very large law enforcement agency at one point. She has to understand that there may be times when staffing and workload will have her speaking on the 911 line, looking up things on computers (plural), talking on the radio to units in the field, and keeping accurate notes about everything. All at once, all calmly. It’s not difficult for a smart person to do, but it’s extremely difficult to master the craft and do it well.

I have no idea what the pay is like for dispatchers these days.

I told her many people start low, traverse their way into bigger and better things and that radio might get you recognition.
Good advice. Getting a foot in the door and moving around/working her way up is what is important IMO. My wife was in a similar place starting out (history and anthropology degree) and had done relatively well for herself in customer service/account management.

Reactions: Pew
What would she like to do and is she willing to move? If she is into tech then a tech company might be an option. As mentioned earlier, government positions in local, state or federal. That would include law enforcement. Healthcare is another option. Sometimes the job is in a sector you never think about.

She needs to think about what she wants to do, but only in a growing field. If that degree does not lend itself to a relevant field, continue her education. Perhaps marketing?

I give you tons of credit for being in her corner. You are a good person.

Reactions: Pew
Supplemental update.

Have your niece established an account on usajobs.gov . She will find thousands of positions that she likely qualifies for. The hardest part of usajobs is getting the keywords proper. Once she cracks that nut, she likely will get dozens of offers weekly. These are good jobs with great benefits and often decent pay.

Have you niece watch youtube videos on how usajobs.gov website works.

I've known a couple over the years.
One didn't like it and became a doctor.
One (my now SIL, 30 year friend) is self employed doing promotional material (internal and external) including blurbs, and interviews in a regional area.

Hmmmm....if she's got a good radio voice, is smart, inquisitive, and intelligent...do the store thing, while building a podcast with great content. I pay $8/m for two podcasts that offer an hour of free content, or 2 hours of paid content...I'l pay that before I ever buy a newspaper.

I've known several people with that degree. One was a publicity person for a hospital, another started as an intern in the communications dept for a large utility and eventually wound up as a manager, another very senior person was the spokesperson for a nuclear plant. Corporate PR depts are more stable than media jobs I would think, although maybe harder to find an opening.

Back