Has 5w40 Castrol formula changed recently?

Don’t force YOUR opinions onto anyone else here as fact. I’ve worked on plenty of vehicles at my work also.
The thing is mine wasn’t an opinion but a fact. I’ve seen multiple engines with extended changes have issues. Trav even posted a thread on it a few days ago.
EDIT: we sorted everything out via PM.

Last edited:
so..... now you all of a sudden are a VW expert and saw it all. I’ll believe rooflessVW and others that are knowledgeable thank you very much.
I’m knowledgeable too remember I do this as a career not saying there isn’t stuff I don’t know but this is one I’m trying to help with that is a fact. This isn’t just on VW it’s all brands I’ve seen it on multiple brands not just VW not just Toyota, all of them. You can believe who you want too but I can tell you not one person is always right.
EDIT. We sorted everything out via PM. Just giving me a hard time LOL.

Last edited:
In your opinion. I wish people would stop being mean to me on this forum that’s the second time you haven’t believed something I said that is 100% true.
We have a member who has done 10k OCI’s for 40 years …
Granted he runs engines and oils that can handle that … but too many blanket opinions that nothing can.
We also run 10k on our Ford Fusion … that’s not crazy long for M1 AP + Fram Ultra

The thing is mine wasn’t an opinion but a fact. I’ve seen multiple engines with extended changes have issues. Trav even posted a thread on it a few days ago.
EDIT: we sorted everything out via PM.

If you don't run an approved oil, sure. That was an issue early on when VW introduced extended drain intervals this side of the pond and the spec VW Castrol 5w-30 was more expensive and harder to obtain than Syntec 5w-30 (might have been API SL at the time) so the dealers would often sub that product in instead, or even other 5w-30's. Of course those oils were never designed for the intervals dictated by VW and the oils would break down long before the OLM chimed off that it was due to change. This resulted in sludge and all kinds of issues to the point where VW was forced to address this with the dealerships and techs. Techs that were ASE and VW Certified and didn't know a **** thing about oil.

The OEM's spend considerable time and money developing their specifications and approvals to ensure that the oils approved against those specifications will hold up for the change interval spec'd. There's no conspiracy about OEM's trying to JUST get the engine out of warranty and then it is going to sludge and varnish itself to death. Most of those examples will have been using a non-spec lubricant at the factory interval or had some other issue like a fault PCV or crankcase breather system. And then there's the end user that doesn't change the oil when it says to.

Then there are other ends of the spectrum like Honda who spec'd API whatever in engines that were devastatingly hard on oil. Clearly they don't implement a validation program like the Euro marques and the results speak for themselves. @Trav and @The Critic have both shown what that looks like (Honda VCM engines). Trav often recommends a Euro oil like M1 0w-40 for those applications because of its ability to hold up better and longer. Not surprisingly, this is an oil that has most of the extended drain approvals for Euro marques.

Granted he runs engines and oils that can handle that … but too many blanket opinions that nothing can.
We also run 10k on our Ford Fusion … that’s not crazy long for M1 AP + Fram Ultra
Wow haven’t seen that. We were joking with each other we sorted it out. I tell you you are definitely brave running 10K I’d cringe even going 1 mile over 5,000 with synthetic.

I’m knowledgeable too remember I do this as a career not saying there isn’t stuff I don’t know but this is one I’m trying to help with that is a fact. This isn’t just on VW it’s all brands I’ve seen it on multiple brands not just VW not just Toyota, all of them. You can believe who you want too but I can tell you not one person is always right.
EDIT. We sorted everything out via PM. Just giving me a hard time LOL.
You’re a good sport BTW … folks here do mess with you a bit … that’s part of life, right …

Well, I don’t know much on VW/Audis although our work we go 9,500 OCI’s with Castrol lubes for them. Everything else gets Safety Kleen synthetic blend 5w30 or Full SYnthetic 0w20 from Safety Kleen

If you don't run an approved oil, sure. That was an issue early on when VW introduced extended drain intervals this side of the pond and the spec VW Castrol 5w-30 was more expensive and harder to obtain than Syntec 5w-30 (might have been API SL at the time) so the dealers would often sub that product in instead, or even other 5w-30's. Of course those oils were never designed for the intervals dictated by VW and the oils would break down long before the OLM chimed off that it was due to change. This resulted in sludge and all kinds of issues to the point where VW was forced to address this with the dealerships and techs. Techs that were ASE and VW Certified and didn't know a **** thing about oil.

The OEM's spend considerable time and money developing their specifications and approvals to ensure that the oils approved against those specifications will hold up for the change interval spec'd. There's no conspiracy about OEM's trying to JUST get the engine out of warranty and then it is going to sludge and varnish itself to death. Most of those examples will have been using a non-spec lubricant at the factory interval or had some other issue like a fault PCV or crankcase breather system. And then there's the end user that doesn't change the oil when it says to.

Then there are other ends of the spectrum like Honda who spec'd API whatever in engines that were devastatingly hard on oil. Clearly they don't implement a validation program like the Euro marques and the results speak for themselves. @Trav and @The Critic have both shown what that looks like (Honda VCM engines). Trav often recommends a Euro oil like M1 0w-40 for those applications because of its ability to hold up better and longer. Not surprisingly, this is an oil that has most of the extended drain approvals for Euro marques.
Yeah I agree. Definitely is a good thing they improved the requirements and specs. I’ve seen a lot of their posts and yeah it’s good to know of an oil that can stand up to that.

True indeed 4wd.... Though those Ford Duratech motors are really easy on oil and those are very good motors.

Like that GM that went 400k miles plus you mentioned... The 3800 motor I believe. A strong great motor that was not super hard on oil either I think.

This thread has given me a right chuckle. Here in Europe we have had 10K+ oil changes for at least 30 years as standard. My current BMW 520d is on a variable service interval and can go 16k or 2 years between changes. Most people stick to these service intervals with little issue. Even GTDI engines get the same treatment. What the US's obsession with such freqent oil changes is I have no idea.

Last edited:
This thread has given me a right chuckle. Here in Europe we have had 10K+ oil changes for at least 30 years as standard. My current BMW 520d is on a variable service interval and can go 16k or 2 years between changes. Most people stick to these service intervals with little issue. Even GTDI engines get the same treatment. What the US's obsession with such freqent oil changes is I have no idea.

I think part of it is the relatively low cost for synthetic oil here as compared to UK and Europe.

No complaints from me about the cost, and I hope it stays that way.

Back