Has 5w40 Castrol formula changed recently?

I think part of it is the relatively low cost for synthetic oil here as compared to UK and Europe.

No complaints from me about the cost, and I hope it stays that way.
I'm not sure it's that much different. Certainly we don't have the range of oils you do in the US, but costs are generally much the same. I pick up 5 litres of Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 for ~£22 regularly and 4 litres Castrol Edge LL or M 5w30 for £20.

I'm not sure it's that much different. Certainly we don't have the range of oils you do in the US, but costs are generally much the same. I pick up 5 litres of Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 for ~£22 regularly and 4 litres Castrol Edge LL or M 5w30 for £20.
Wow, so thats pretty good!

I have no idea then, other than it gives a good excuse to do something in the garage.

I’m knowledgeable too remember I do this as a career not saying there isn’t stuff I don’t know but this is one I’m trying to help with that is a fact. This isn’t just on VW it’s all brands I’ve seen it on multiple brands not just VW not just Toyota, all of them. You can believe who you want too but I can tell you not one person is always right.
EDIT. We sorted everything out via PM. Just giving me a hard time LOL.

Don't take this the wrong way but... You have approx 1000 posts/month since joining the forum, roughly 30 per day, at all hours of the day. Are you really posting while working on all these vehicles?

Wow, so thats pretty good!

I have no idea then, other than it gives a good excuse to do something in the garage.

Most people here don't work on their own cars, a lot of people can't understand why I do. Also, to maintain your manafacturers warranty over here you must get your car serviced by a registered garage which doesn't help.

What dissapoints me is the lack of variety over here. If I could find a fully synthetic 10w30 or 15w40 oil that was dual rated and carried ACEA E9 then I would just use it in everything. Unfortunatley, apart from Redline 15w40 diesel whcih is very expensive over here there is nothing.

Don't take this the wrong way but... You have approx 1000 posts/month since joining the forum, roughly 30 per day, at all hours of the day. Are you really posting while working on all these vehicles?
Yes work has been pretty slow around here. The parts have been hard to get on some things too so most of the day me and the rest of the coworkers set around. Next month I’m starting at a new shop Monday thru Friday and then this one only on Saturday hoping that it will pick up my revenue. According to my other mechanic friends from different shops they are seeing the same things. Most of our customers here are older and won’t come on days like today that’s it’s pouring down rain and cold and windy. Today I done an oil change and that’s it for customers then I rebuilt the suspension on my boss truck. That’s how it’s been since this mess started last year.

That’s not always best. I would never go over 5,000 I’m just trying to save your engine. I worked for Toyota and 10k oil changes are because they don’t care about it after warranty.
My son drives a 2009 328i. The car has been run on BMW 5W-30 or BMW 0W-30 since new- with a minimum OCI of 15,000 miles/12 months; here's what it looked like at 108,000 miles:
4434A840-9AA3-4106-B393-DD49C3F4753E.jpeg

Back