Castrol 0w40 has disappeared, suitable replacement?

2006 VW Rabbit 2.5 5 cylinder. 10k OCI. 6.4 qts cartridge filter. Highway miles 140 each day.

I have been using Castrol 0w40 for 7 oil changes in a row and have been really happy with it, but it has disappeared from shelves. I have seen for order, but it’s $67 for a 5qt jug!

Is there a suitable replacement that has similar formula that I can pick up at a Walmart or a parts store? I have seen Mobil, Pennzoil and valvoline in 0w40 VW502, but are they similar in the additive packages?

Thank you.

Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40 has a similar add pack, Castrol 5w-40 should be available at most walmarts

I use this in my '06 Saab turbo and it works just fine;

pennzoil.jpg

Any on shelf brand with the "European Car Formula" labeling should make the engine happy and won't notice any difference. There was a real sweet deal on PZ Euro car formula recently, but I always keep an eye on the "Product Rebates, Sales, and Promotions" for the best deals.

It depends. Sometimes no. But one option is for in-store pickup, which is free shipping. I just checked at Walmart.com, and Castrol 0W-40 is not available for in-store pickup at my local Walmart. Also, they are asking a LOT for it. $67/5 qt. jug.

Perhaps M1 European Car Formula may be a better choice for you. It is approved by VW/Audi for VW 505 00 and 502 00. I have been using M1 0W-40 European in my Mercedes cars with great success.

The additive package is irrelevant but the approval matters. Each oil that gains the approval has to pass many tests that are essentially agnostic to however the blender gets there. The Mobil 1 product is a world-class oil with several demanding approvals.

Back