Castrol Edge 0W40 new formula for Renault Twingo RS

Hello, sorry for my English.
I live in France and need to change the oil of my Renault Twingo RS (1.6L 133 NA), 94 000 miles.

I've been using Castrol Edge 0W40 (the ACEA C3 version) for 20,000km~ (2 oil changes).
When I received the latest can, I noticed a change.

0w40 diff.jpg

My engine claims the old Renault RN0710 specification or the new RN17 RSA.
As you can see, the first specification has disappeared from the back of the can.

It has also disappeared from the description on their website:

But it still appears in the .pdf on the Castrol website.

I contacted Castrol of course, but it was probably a trainee who tried to reassure me, awkwardly. "blabla, nothing change"
I still don't know if there's a mistake (.pdf versus can...)

According to the standards on the can:
ACEA C3
API SP
BMW Longlife-04
FIAT 9.55535-S2
MB-Approval 229.31/ 229.51

My question is, can this oil meet the RN0710 standard ? Does anyone have the specifications for RN0710 and others to compare (minimum ZDP, TBN, noack, etc) ?

I only found this : https://online.lubrizol.com/relperftool/pc.html

comparaison.png

(SA = 0.8)
TBN may be lower than recommended.
I change my oil at 6,500 miles~ or 1 year, it doesn't seem too serious if that's the case.

Thank you.

Last edited:
My question is, can this oil meet the RN0710 standard ?
The Renault spec does look a lot like A3/B4.
a3b4_rn0710.jpg

I think honestly most A3/B4 or C3 oils will be fine for you. See a couple of similar threads of mine from recently:

I wouldn't worry about it not having that Renault spec anymore, They likely didn't see enough value in renewing it. It's still good oil.

The Renault spec does look a lot like A3/B4.
View attachment 165802

I think honestly most A3/B4 or C3 oils will be fine for you. See a couple of similar threads of mine from recently:

It is crystal clear that you have not read the instructions which states that this tool is not for comparing different specifications!

It is crystal clear that you have not read the instructions which states that this tool is not for comparing different specifications!
Both specs require 3.5 or higher HTHS and very similar Sulphated Ash ranges. This tool makes it easier to spot similar requirements. Not from the graph, but from the text in the upper right corner. If that makes me a mis-user of this tool, then oh well.

Ok thanks to all of you. I will use this can.
I'll buy another oil next time. Probably Motul 8100 X-clean gen2 5W-40. 😉
Yep , Motul Specs are always spot on as a guide for what an oil should be according to OEM spec

MOTUL 8100 X-CLEAN GEN2 5W-40
Specially designed for last generation cars, powered by Gasoline or Diesel engines, naturally aspirated or turbocharged,indirect or direct injection, Euro 4, 5 or 6 emission regulation compliant, requiring an ACEA C3 engine oil i.e. high HTHS (>3.5 mPa.s) viscosity and "Mid SAPS" with reduced content of Sulfated Ash (≤ 0.8%), Phosphorus (0.07 ≤ x ≤ 0.09%) andSulfur (≤ 0.3%).Compatible with catalytic converters and Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF)
STANDARDS
ACEA C3
API SERVICE SP
APPROVALS BMW LL-04MERCEDES-BENZ MB-Approval 226.5MERCEDES-BENZ MB-Approval 229.52RENAULT RN0710 - RN0700 under n° RN0710-19-62 and n° RN0700-19-75
Density at 20°C (68°F) ASTM D1298 0.847
Viscosity at 40°C (104°F) ASTM D445 76.3 mm²/s
Viscosity at 100°C (212°F) ASTM D445 13.3 mm²/s
HTHS viscosity at 150°C (302°F) ASTM D4741 3.9 mPa.s
Viscosity Index ASTM D2270 180.0
Pour point ASTM D97 -45.0 °C / -49.0 °F
Sulfated Ash ASTM D874 % weight 0.77
TBN ASTM D2896 9.4 mg KOH/g
Flash point ASTM D92 232.0 °C / 450.0 °F

Both specs require 3.5 or higher HTHS and very similar Sulphated Ash ranges. This tool makes it easier to spot similar requirements. Not from the graph, but from the text in the upper right corner. If that makes me a mis-user of this tool, then oh well.
Bravo! Yeah, I got the same treatment a couple of days back. Guess what? I don’t give a rip about the little disclaimer that some folks get so upset about.

Bravo! Yeah, I got the same treatment a couple of days back. Guess what? I don’t give a rip about the little disclaimer that some folks get so upset about.
Perhaps you don’t, but it’s central to the purpose and meaning of those spider charts. Using them the way you did (and same here) is truly worthless, it just an imaginary comparison.

The charts represent areas of emphasis within the approval, not absolute numbers.

Back