Castrol EDGE Euro Car 5W30 A3/B4 VOA

From what I can tell from the 5qt jug date code, this oil was produced in 2022. Picked it up from Walmart and it's going in our 2013 Volvo S80. I'm liking it. API rating is SL, but keep in mind it IS an ACEA A3/B4 oil. It is also in the VOA Database.

Castrol EDGE Euro 5W30 A3B4.png

FYI, highest 5W30 TBN in the database!

Volvo calls for an OCI of 10k miles (no lower intervals called out for severe duty). They also call out ACEA A5/B5, which is A3/B4 except for additional rating for fuel economy. I can see this oil easily lasting 10k miles.

Last edited:
This oil looks very strong & I see why you've chosen it. The Volvo S80 is one of the best darn cars on the planet IMO. Although I don't care for the rear appearance the XC90 has excellent safety rating too.

From what I can tell from the 5qt jug date code, this oil was produced in 2022. Picked it up from Walmart and it's going in our 2013 Volvo S80. I'm liking it. API rating is SL, but keep in mind it IS an ACEA A3/B4 oil. It is also in the VOA Database.

View attachment 161621

Volvo calls for an OCI of 10k miles (no lower intervals called out for severe duty). They also call out ACEA A5/B5, which is A3/B4 except for additional rating for fuel economy. I can see this oil easily lasting 10k miles.
You can buy the 5 quart jug at Walmart of the Castrol Euro A3/B4 5W-30 for about $26.
If I had a german car with average 230F temps by design, and was going to run it on a track at high RPM's for hours, my first choice would be the Castrol Euro A3/B4 5W-30. It's high phosphorous and Zinc levels combined with it's HTHS = 3.5 makes this one of the highest protection oils available in my opinion. I don't think API SP speced oils can compare.

Last edited:

View attachment 161621

Very nice. Thank You for sharing this 👍😍🇨🇦🇺🇸

One of my prefer also 0w40 except because price/quality here (Total/Elf destroy them).

I was looking at Castrol's Euro Car 0W30 A3/B4 specs and it looks to be the same as this oil except for a -60C pour point. I believe this one is -36C. Might make for a good winter oil, though this one should work fine too (we've never gotten below -20F where I live, but typically ~20F in the winter).

This oil looks very strong & I see why you've chosen it. The Volvo S80 is one of the best darn cars on the planet IMO. Although I don't care for the rear appearance the XC90 has excellent safety rating too.
far too often you can get caught up and only the rear or only the front. I've had a lot of cars that essentially grow on you and you learn to love them wow others maintain their ugliness that only a mother could love. I always liked the 9th gen Accord rear but the front even to this day has never really panned out for me. I could feel that way about probably every Dodge ever made while other people swear that it's the best thing since sliced bread.

More detergent additives than almost all locally available hdeos. I was expecting something like 1500 or so.

These don't look so bad . Hope I got everything in order .

Here's the SL A3/B4 from O.P.'s V.O.A..

IMG_1037.JPG

IMG_1038.JPG

IMG_1039.JPG

This SN/CF looks to be stout . HT/HS of 3.5 .

IMG_1042.JPG

IMG_1043.JPG
IMG_1045.JPG

IMG_1047.JPG

S.P. looks to be stout as well , but no HT/HS . Does anyone know if it's 3.5 or so ? I think this oil is in the '18 ACCENT . 1 bottle is dated '21 + 3 @ '22 .

IMG_1048.JPG

IMG_1049.JPG
IMG_1050.JPG

Last edited:
Continued from ^ above ^ .
IMG_1051.JPG

From CASTROL site .

IMG_1041.JPG
IMG_1040.JPG

The '23 CASTROL Edge S.P. , GF-6 starts at 10 for Visc @ 100 and no HT/HS . Is G.M. Dexos 1 , Gen 3 . Go to site for more info .

Last edited:
far too often you can get caught up and only the rear or only the front. I've had a lot of cars that essentially grow on you and you learn to love them wow others maintain their ugliness that only a mother could love. I always liked the 9th gen Accord rear but the front even to this day has never really panned out for me. I could feel that way about probably every Dodge ever made while other people swear that it's the best thing since sliced bread.
I agree with everything you said 100%. As an example I had a 1998 Eldorado for a daily driver once upon a time but got the Ford Festiva bug there for a while. I've owned a bit under 40 vehicles in my time so far. Although I've had to slow down tremendously on vehicles (maried w/children lol) I can learn to love darn near anything! I am an auto nut through & through! matter of fact I just took the neighbor girls to the fairs car show this morning. Even in a dodge it sure beats walking. Saw this Dodge today & shared it with 53'Stude earlier. He said he had a 92' just like it.

IMG_20230617_103905.jpg

IMG_20230617_105028.jpg

Fun Fact:
The only reason the 2013 year model Volvo S80 didn't meet "Top Safety Pick+" & only earned "Top Safety Pick" was simply not getting the vehicle tested in time. If Volvo would've gotten them a test car sooner it would have earned the + reward.
https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/Volvo/s80-4-door-sedan/2013

Sorry if I'm mucking up the thread.

One of my prefer also 0w40 except because price/quality here (Total/Elf destroy them).
I did mean 0w30 and 0w40, Castrol 5w30 is nothing special and expensive here.
I was looking at Castrol's Euro Car 0W30 A3/B4 specs and it looks to be the same as this oil except for a -60C pour point. I believe this one is -36C. Might make for a good winter oil, though this one should work fine too (we've never gotten below -20F where I live, but typically ~20F in the
20F -6ºC not problem with 5w30. Anyway 0w are partial or full PAO, 5w30 is III.
S.P. looks to be stout as well , but no HT/HS . Does anyone know if it's 3.5 or so ?
Yes because peformance claims.

Also, Castrol usually reports performance requirements, not typical lot values. So usually those sheets just show what the oil is supposed to meet.

Edge euro at least in India was updated quite a while back to be ACEA C3, in 5w30 and 5w40. Not sure why they’re still producing A3B4 and SL.

The CASTROL Edge 5w-30 K that I posted above looks to be similar to the EURO CAR ( Carbon Neutral ) 5w-30 K . Both are S.P. and the PRODUCT CODES are the same , 470031 . The P.D.S for 2021 EDGE is missing ( my post above ) , wonder if due to the pandemic . :unsure:

Back