Hard drive oil filters by peak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Treat the base gasket with some 100% silicone before using the filter.

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
I put one of those on a Pontiac V-8 in the mid-to-late nineties. I think it was from Summit Racing. The gasket is an O-ring instead of the normal flat-faced gasket, right?

The selling point for me back then was wire-backed media to go with a high-pressure oil pump.

The ad states the media is unsupported.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
I put one of those on a Pontiac V-8 in the mid-to-late nineties. I think it was from Summit Racing. The gasket is an O-ring instead of the normal flat-faced gasket, right?

The selling point for me back then was wire-backed media to go with a high-pressure oil pump.

Says in the ad: "100% Synthetic Microfibers - Backed with Epoxy Coated Steel".

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Hmmm... Now that I think about it, is there a reason not to do that anyway? Use silicon grease on the base gasket of the filter instead of smearing it with oil. I have some dielectric grease that's good up to 400F. AGS/Napa Sil-Glyde is good up to 600F. Surely the base gasket doesn't get that hot!

Originally Posted By: Arved

Hmmm... Now that I think about it, is there a reason not to do that anyway? Use silicon grease on the base gasket of the filter instead of smearing it with oil. I have some dielectric grease that's good up to 400F. AGS/Napa Sil-Glyde is good up to 600F. Surely the base gasket doesn't get that hot!

And I've seen some instructions printed on some oil filter boxes that say NOT to use grease on the gasket, but oil only.
Either way, you won't have a warranty using these filters.

Originally Posted By: Kruse

And I've seen some instructions printed on some oil filter boxes that say NOT to use grease on the gasket, but oil only.

I could see the warning with conventional grease and a rubber gasket, but silicone grease on a silicone gasket shouldn't be a problem, should it?

OTOH, I haven't had any problem with oil, and it's hard not to get some oil on the gasket when pre-filling the filter. I'm obviously over thinking this.

Says in the ad: "100% Synthetic Microfibers - Backed with Epoxy Coated Steel".

You're right. I read it wrong.

I am gonna put one on today so we will see if my engine magically stops wearing and I gain more power.

Last edited:
The glass fibers used in the filter won't degrade over time for this old filter, so OK there. Anybody know whether the epoxy coating on the wire backing might have cracked up a bit over that much time sitting around (probably 20 years)? And the nitrile rubber ADBV might be suspect after that much time. Might cut one and see if the nitrile rubber is still flexible, and check that the epoxy coating on the metal backing looks good under a magnifying glass.

.........from the old website http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/reference.html#hd01 :
HD01

This filter was one of the first to use a fully-synthetic, depth-gradient filter element media. The idea is that the media's density increases as the oil passes through, trapping smaller and smaller particles deeper in the filter. Thus the media can hold far more particles per square inch than a conventional media (making a surface area comparison with other filters rather meaningless). The filters were manufactured by Donaldson Filtration Solutions for Old World Industries through the "Peak" brand name. Unfortunately, the filter is no longer being made. The Fram X2 filter cartridge looked similar in design to the Hard Driver, except for the cardboard end caps on the Fram. The X2 also seems to have been taken off the market. The AMSOIL EaO series of filters use this same type of media and are specifically designed for long-duration use. The only problem noted when using this filter was that the gasket had a tendency to fall out of its channel during filter installation. A little grease to hold it on solved that issue, though.

Exploded view:

Average Retail Price $8.50 + $4 shipping
Overall Length 5.25 inches
Overall Diameter 3.67 inches
Cartridge Length 4.13 inches
Cartridge Outside Diameter 3.21 inches
Cartridge Inside Diameter 1.69 inches
Cartridge Pleats 36
Cartridge End Cap Type Stamped steel, with bypass valve in back
Anti-Drainback Valve Type Nitrile rubber diaphragm
Bypass Valve Type Spring-loaded steel, nitrile seal
Element Type Synthetic media
Element Length 52 inches
Element Width 3.75 inches
Element Surface Area 195 square inches
Shell Thickness 0.016 inches
Backplate Thickness 0.10 inches
Gasket Type Nitrile rubber o-ring type

Too late. Already installed with pu 0w-40. Still waiting for the engine to stop turning from all the reduced friction.
crazy.gif

Used to read the boards a while back and returned.

I might recommend NOT using silicone grease on silicone gaskets - everyone in the adult play industry knows not to use silicone lube on silicone toys, the oil degrades the solid silicone over time and makes it basically disintegrate. I suppose the same could happen to the gasket with the grease and result in leaks or a blowout. The gasket is designed to contact oil so that should be sufficient. On rubber YMMV.

Originally Posted By: Gary

Used to read the boards a while back and returned.

I might recommend NOT using silicone grease on silicone gaskets - everyone in the adult play industry knows not to use silicone lube on silicone toys, the oil degrades the solid silicone over time and makes it basically disintegrate. I suppose the same could happen to the gasket with the grease and result in leaks or a blowout. The gasket is designed to contact oil so that should be sufficient. On rubber YMMV.

The base gasket is not silicone ... it's nitrile rubber. I've used 100% silicone spray on rubber parts (works great on auto rubber weather stripping) for decades and it keeps the rubber soft and free from cracks.

https://www.amazon.com/Kelloggs-57500-Pure-Silicon-oz/dp/B000BXOFJI

Well 400 miles and my vehicle hasn't exploded or leaked so the must be just fine.

No surprises there! Please follow up with a cut and post when you remove it from service!

I didn't need to quote ZeeOSix above, as I was specifically referring to 'silicone' gaskets. Now those are denser / harder than jelly toys, so the effect of silicone grease may be different. But lets see.

Originally Posted By: Gary
I didn't need to quote ZeeOSix above, as I was specifically referring to 'silicone' gaskets. Now those are denser / harder than jelly toys, so the effect of silicone grease may be different. But lets see.

There's no real need to use anything but oil on the base gasket upon installation on new filters. My suggestion of treating the base gasket on these very old filters with some 100% silicone was to help get them back into shape some if they are old and getting hard. I've rejuvenated old rubber parts on my older vehicles using the 100% silicon, and it does help them come back quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back