Had to try the G-Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just changed the oil in my Buick with the G-Oil (and as a bonus picked up a NAPA Gold for $3.24).

We'll see how it goes and I'm planning a UOA.

I'll likely run it out to 5000+ mi and we'll see how it goes. And yes the rebate is what convinced me.

Edit:
My only real concern is that its biodegradeable. What is to prevent that degradation from starting in the crankcase. Its not like its a sealed system where micro-organisms etc can't find a way in.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: buickman50401
My only real concern is that its biodegradeable. What is to prevent that degradation from starting in the crankcase. Its not like its a sealed system where micro-organisms etc can't find a way in.

True, but every time you run the car, they will die.

My question is, how fast will it biodegrade in the presence of moisture? A slight head gasket leak with regular oil is manageable with frequent oci's. But if it starts to biodegrade what happens if you are unaware of a slight head gasket leak and it biodegrades in 60 days?

i hope it doesnt break down and turn to sludge in your engine. it may be an awesome oil but its not proven yet so il let you guys try it out. please post some uoas!!

Originally Posted By: electrolover
i hope it doesnt break down and turn to sludge in your engine. it may be an awesome oil but its not proven yet so il let you guys try it out. please post some uoas!!

It's a SM rated oil i'd like to think if it meets that spec it wouldnt

Green Earth Technologies’ products, including G-OIL, are made from American grown base oils, achieving an Ultimate Biodegradability ranking form the ASTM standard D5864 which defines 'Ultimate Biodegradable' as a product that is rapidly absorbed (eaten) by microorganisms by 60% in 28 days. G-Oil proudly exceeds those standards.

The biodegradability of motor oil depends on the feedstock. If the feedstock is crude oil, then the biodegradability that can be obtained is between 15% -35% and synthetics biodegradability value is between 5% - 30%. For G-OIL, where the feedstock is plant oil or animal fat, the biodegradability is significantly better with 65% to 95% achievable within 9 days and more over time.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
My question is, how fast will it biodegrade in the presence of moisture? A slight head gasket leak with regular oil is manageable with frequent oci's. But if it starts to biodegrade what happens if you are unaware of a slight head gasket leak and it biodegrades in 60 days?

Check your oil level often if you are concerned. I'm thinking that if it starts to biodegrade in your crankcase, it will turn to CO2 and much of the liquid volume will be lost.

Last edited:
And aren't there only certain micro-organisms that "eat" oil. I don't think this applies to all micro-organisms.
An internal combustion engine isn't a place thats conducive to the growth of micro-organisms anyway.

If you get the oil up to operating temps, no organism that can break it down is going to survive.

I would not, however, use this in a car that is going to sit for weeks at a time.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
If you get the oil up to operating temps, no organism that can break it down is going to survive.

I would not, however, use this in a car that is going to sit for weeks at a time.

That was kind of along the lines I was thinking as well. Fine for an everyday use vehicle but don't put in your trailer queen or 1973 Challenger you only take out on nice days in the summer.

Edit:
BTW, anyone notice anything peculiar about the smell. There is almost no smell to the oil until you really get a good sniff and you can get the hint of its bio content - that is it has a faint hint similar to some sort of cooking oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Koz1
Anyone know if there is G-oil at Wal-Marts in Syracuse or Rochester Im coming down from Canada through Watertown.
Any help would be appreciated.

Maybe it's too late for this, but I was just at the Henrietta Walmart off I-390 and they didn't even have a place for it.

I hate to post a "me too" reply, but I'm trying this stuff, too. In my car, it'll probably take me six months to get enough miles on it for a UOA. That ought to be a pretty good test.

My prediction? I say that it probably performs about as well as any other decent oil. Not better, but not worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back