Guy goes a million miles on group lll synthetics doing 15,000 mile intervals.

and that was a pre recession honda, far from the vehicles they have today.............not just honda
I believe Honda went with the displacement on demand setup after that year (or whatever they call it) in which the cylinders deactivate. I owned a 1999 Honda Accord with the 2.3 four cylinder Vtec, purchased new, kept it to 289,000 miles. There was no way in hell that engine was going to make it much further than 300,000 miles - that thing was consuming so much oil by the time I got rid of it (around a quart every 700 miles). Always highway driven and oil changes every 3,000 miles using conventional.

I must have replaced everything on that car at least once in that time, everything but the transmission and engine. I replaced the engine cradle, the gas tank, 4-5 sets of engine mounts, countless control arms and mufflers. Brake lines, fuel lines, EGR valve, evap canister (x2), Vtec solenoids, transmission switches, radio, axles, countless sway bar links and bushings, a power steering rack, a half dozen tie rod ends, a radiator, and probably a dozen other things I’m forgetting.

I believe Honda went with the displacement on demand setup after that year (or whatever they call it) in which the cylinders deactivate. I owned a 1999 Honda Accord with the 2.3 four cylinder Vtec, purchased new, kept it to 289,000 miles. There was no way in hell that engine was going to make it much further than 300,000 miles - that thing was consuming so much oil by the time I got rid of it (around a quart every 700 miles). Always highway driven and oil changes every 3,000 miles using conventional.

I must have replaced everything on that car at least once in that time, everything but the transmission and engine. I replaced the engine cradle, the gas tank, 4-5 sets of engine mounts, countless control arms and mufflers. Brake lines, fuel lines, EGR valve, evap canister (x2), Vtec solenoids, transmission switches, radio, axles, countless sway bar links and bushings, a power steering rack, a half dozen tie rod ends, a radiator, and probably a dozen other things I’m forgetting.
Thanks doublebase for that interesting history.

In your opinion, what eventually caused the oil burning at a quart every 700 miles. Was it just a worn out engine, or was it dirty oil control/piston rings, or something else like a bad PCV valve?

seems you liked it a lot....

^^^To the pictures above

What oil? What fuel? Driven like a madman or grandma? Any fuel injector issues? Lots of variables!
Well it's my wife's car, she averages 23mpg and we bought it used with 60k on it. It was burning oil, like many K24's do. Dealer refused to repair it due to me changing my own oil and not having proof of oil changes.

FWIW, I reused the timing chain and all other components so it was obviously changed. Timing chain stretch is notorious on K24's with lack of OCI.

I used M1 5w-30, and occasionally PP 5w-30. Union Sangyo filters (bought a case when we purchased the car).

Thanks doublebase for that interesting history.

In your opinion, what eventually caused the oil burning at a quart every 700 miles. Was it just a worn out engine, or was it dirty oil control/piston rings, or something else like a bad PCV valve?
Not sure, I figured it was just age. Took the intake off, it was pretty carboned up with soot. The EGR port was pretty nasty too (if I remember). I used to run an intake cleaner through it every so often, I guess it didn’t help much. Car had a very rough idle when I got rid of it, would stall at stop lights.

I think it just depends on the vehicle. At 70mph my Tundra is humming along just below 2k rpm and the Kia is a tick over 3k rpm at the same speed.
That’s strange - the Jeep does 2k/70 with 4.10 gears …
Tahoe more like 1500 …

Basically all this thread is good for is saying a vehicle driven on the highway lots of miles a day will last a long time. A manual transmission, lack of DI, and other numb CAFE tricks will last a long time....

Many 4.6 Ford Crown Vics, vans go 1mil. Even some GM LS based engines get close. But not automatic transmissions.

Good grief guys.....

I'm the master of not remembering I already replied to a thread only to come across my post just before I was about to reply to the post.
A couple of times I've had an issue, googled it, and found an answer to my problem... in a thread... that I started on BITOG some time before.

I might be older than my parents now.

Ones that I have personally seen go high mileage on 5w20 mostly conventional. Expedition 5.4 threw a spark plug at 320k miles, Kia Forte 2.0 210k, Honda Accord 410k, and of course there was a BTOG named Steve that got over 200k in a Caravan. There are many Caravans around here all over the 200k that I don't know history of as well. I run 0w20 in mine but it should hopefully outlast me as it only gets around 6k a year.

IMG_1777.jpegI guess 6000-7500 oci on M1 EP and Amsoil XL. A few 10K runs on Amsoil SS with 127K is doing me no good. I laugh every time someone mentions that video. 2015 Toyota Tacoma 4.0L

You have a point there: most of use aren’t putting 200-300 miles a day on our cars going up and down the highway at 75 mph for hours on end. That is an advantage (one would think), and an easier life for an engine/and oil.

Although on the flip side, lately I seem to be reading a lot of posts about high speed highway driving and increased oil consumption. But still, it’s an easy way to accumulate a lot of miles very quickly.

yes, the engine is producing 30 hp or so while travelling along the highway, and it will be in the top gear (maybe not if you have 10 gears) so low rpm. There's plenty of air circulation aswell. I can't really think of an easier life for an engine or oil.

Back