Grub Hub discount offers worthless?

Almost every day I get an offer from them giving a discount on restaurant orders, but the prices are ridiculous. One example I picked randomly was a Reuben sandwich from a nearby place. $10.99 on the restaurant's online menu. $16.24 from Grub Hub less the 20% off offer I got today = $12.99. Why would anyone order through Grub Hub?

Because they're too lazy to assemble a sandwich for themselves?....because they haven't learned the same "value of money" lessons others have?.....because they don't consider the packaging waste involved?....because when people eat in private, they're more likely to eat (spend) more?....because they don't have a car to go fetch food? Lots of reasons.

Almost every day I get an offer from them giving a discount on restaurant orders, but the prices are ridiculous. One example I picked randomly was a Reuben sandwich from a nearby place. $10.99 on the restaurant's online menu. $16.24 from Grub Hub less the 20% off offer I got today = $12.99. Why would anyone order through Grub Hub?
Because they are too lazy to pick up their own order. Given how bad traffic and parking might be where you live, the convenience fee might be worth it.

I never use those food delivery services either. But they can't deliver for free so yes that sandwich is going to cost more. Actually 2.99 extra for delivery is cheap when even if you drove and used a gallon of gas it would cost you more.

Beats me. Surge pricing?

Reminds me of a prescription I wanted to refill. Pharmacy wanted to wait until they talked to me--as it was going to be over $200. I was glad as I think I paid $6 the last time... in the end, instead of going through insurance, I just got through that pharmacy's "discount" plan (which I didn't have to sign up for) and got it for $30 or so.

Never said was to be delivered. I always pickup. Don't see any price difference there.
I think you don't understand what GrubHub is. It is a food delivery service just like UberEats and DoorDash. They provide delivery as part of the increased menu pricing surcharge. No one would order off of the GrubHub/UberEats/DoorDash website unless they were seeking the food to be delivered, not pickup. You would order from the restaurant's own website or via phone call/restaurant's App for takeout/pickup.

I think you don't understand what GrubHub is. It is a food delivery service just like UberEats and DoorDash. They provide delivery as part of the increased menu pricing surcharge. No one would order off of the GrubHub/UberEats/DoorDash website unless they were seeking the food to be delivered, not pickup. You would order from the restaurant's own website or via phone/App for takeout/pickup.
Maybe I don't but it gives a choice of delivery or pickup.

rest.jpg

And the restaurant online menu doesn't have online orders, so even if you pick up, shouldn't Grub Hub get a cut for offering that service? At a rate below the delivery service of course.

As I understand it, the difference in increased menu pricing is split between the restaurant and GrubHub, regardless of whether it is delivered or picked-up by the customer. GrubHub also applies an additional fee (~$5) for the delivery service, part of which goes to the driver. If the restaurant doesn't take online orders directly, they are compensating GrubHub to manage that function for them.

Back