Do airlines even want to sell flights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Retired CEO from American airlines made a statement about 15 years ago. " Never ever buy an airline stock for long-term '

The only airline charter I trust or will fly since delivering aircraft fuel is Million Air. Never delayed except for weather, no drunk pilots, idiot passengers and an overall top notch flying experience. The fleet (at least in March ARB) are always polished and clean, the pilots go over every square inch of the craft inside and out, and do flight checks beyond what is required by FAA. I have never once seen a pilot of the budget airlines (United/Southwest/Delta/American) on the ground at boarding point so much as inspect a wheel let alone the rest of the structure.

I have no idea of the guidelines and rules but I was always nervous boarding any major airline. The aircraft land, go right to the gate, fuel, luggage, get boarded and take off again. I have watch with my binoculars after fuel delivery at both JWA and LAX. It's spooky to watch these planes land/board/takeoff with no one inspecting at least the tires.

Roger Woolsey runs a tight company. I'm sure he still has his share of challenges. I do know speaking with the pilots that the "A" check is done way before 500hrs and the "C" checks annually. I was also told they sell the aircraft before a "D" check comes due. I'm not in the flight industry but that sounds pretty darn thorough and safe. I'm sure it's a money thing in regards to turning over aircraft rather than the expense of a full disassemble "D" service.

As of late Million Air is getting expensive and the popular destination charters are always booked. Of course personalized charters are readily available at your local airports but those can be cost prohibitive for the average domestic flight.

The only airline charter I trust or will fly since delivering aircraft fuel is Million Air. Never delayed except for weather, no drunk pilots, idiot passengers and an overall top notch flying experience. The fleet (at least in March ARB) are always polished and clean, the pilots go over every square inch of the craft inside and out, and do flight checks beyond what is required by FAA. I have never once seen a pilot of the budget airlines (United/Southwest/Delta/American) on the ground at boarding point so much as inspect a wheel let alone the rest of the structure.

I have no idea of the guidelines and rules but I was always nervous boarding any major airline. The aircraft land, go right to the gate, fuel, luggage, get boarded and take off again. I have watch with my binoculars after fuel delivery at both JWA and LAX. It's spooky to watch these planes land/board/takeoff with no one inspecting at least the tires.

Roger Woolsey runs a tight company. I'm sure he still has his share of challenges. I do know speaking with the pilots that the "A" check is done way before 500hrs and the "C" checks annually. I was also told they sell the aircraft before a "D" check comes due. I'm not in the flight industry but that sounds pretty darn thorough and safe. I'm sure it's a money thing in regards to turning over aircraft rather than the expense of a full disassemble "D" service.

As of late Million Air is getting expensive and the popular destination charters are always booked. Of course personalized charters are readily available at your local airports but those can be cost prohibitive for the average domestic flight.
What a bunch of completely ridiculous, outright false, and misleading claims.

Detailed, careful, preflight inspections are done on every flight.

The airlines you list are not budget airlines, they are the majors.

The majors do maintenance carefully and rigorously, it's part of why their safety record is so good.

I looked up Million Air - Glitzy charter company that runs FBOs. You're not getting anything special for pilots there.

You're getting the pilots that are working their way up to the majors, or have some performance/personal issue that keeps them from getting hired by the majors.

FAR Part 91, under which Million Air operates, has less stringent rules for pilot qualification, fatigue management, and safety than Part 121, under which the majors operate.

You've been taken in by glitzy lounges and marketing.

I'm not in the flight industry

That is painfully obvious...

Last edited:
Astro, I get that you are a pilot and know way more than I can comprehend on pre flight and actually flying. I’m looking at it a passenger point of view. The experience I have had with flying with Million Air was at a whole different level than any of the “major” airlines albeit smaller aircraft.

Sitting in a quite comfortable lounge, boarding inside a covered hanger and a clean and spotless craft is a whole other level of experience. Not to mention having a rental car waiting for you just a few steps from lounge without the fuss. Million Air does everything for you.

As far as preflight inspection, I just know what I have seen with my own 2 eyes. It spooks me when I see a plane land, go to the gate, fuel, baggage and not see anyone inspecting the outside at all. Then just take off.

I have walked off planes before when I suspected the pilot was not fit or the aircraft looked off. As with any industry, complacency kills. Regardless of track record claiming the pyramid is not good. Better to stay at the bottom with zero incidents.

I just booked YVR-JNB through LHR in September on BA for $1035 per person Canadian... I have no idea why it is so cheap, every other airline was 50-70% more. So there are deals to be had if you look around.

Astro, I get that you are a pilot and know way more than I can comprehend on pre flight and actually flying. I’m looking at it a passenger point of view. The experience I have had with flying with Million Air was at a whole different level than any of the “major” airlines albeit smaller aircraft.

Sitting in a quite comfortable lounge, boarding inside a covered hanger and a clean and spotless craft is a whole other level of experience. Not to mention having a rental car waiting for you just a few steps from lounge without the fuss. Million Air does everything for you.

As far as preflight inspection, I just know what I have seen with my own 2 eyes. It spooks me when I see a plane land, go to the gate, fuel, baggage and not see anyone inspecting the outside at all. Then just take off.

I have walked off planes before when I suspected the pilot was not fit or the aircraft looked off. As with any industry, complacency kills. Regardless of track record claiming the pyramid is not good. Better to stay at the bottom with zero incidents.
No matter how good Astro's explanation is, you refuse to believe it? You expect us to believe commercial pilots just jump in and go without a preflight breifing or aircraft inspection? What does an "off" airplane look like? How do you determine a pilot is "unfit"?

Maybe you should stop trolling.

No matter how good Astro's explanation is, you refuse to believe it? You expect us to believe commercial pilots just jump in and go without a preflight breifing or aircraft inspection? What does an "off" airplane look like? How do you determine a pilot is "unfit"?

You can believe what you want. I have seen pilots (on more than a few occasions) board that were obviously under the influence of alcohol. Just in the last few weeks another pilot was caught and removed. It's more common than you think. As far as preflights I have watched these commercial aircraft land and take right back off again. No matter what Astro or any pilot says there are shortcuts being taken that are being withheld from the passengers.

The seats and interiors are thrashed, recycled air almost unbreathable, and I have had my luggage lost over and over dozens of times. The commercial airline industry is crap compared to what it was in the 70's and 80's. From the 90's on it's been a joke. I have been strictly doing charter flights the last 10 years and it's a much better experience.

This is in no way trolling. How about you look outside the box instead of taking just a pilots point of view. BTW, My father in law was a pilot with an IFR since about 1967 and I learned a lot of about which airlines to avoid and the shortcuts taken to maximize profit. Let's just say it's not in the interest of the passenger.

The biggest differences I am noticing in booking right now is that airlines are not offering anywhere near as many flights as they did pre-pandemic, but that demand is starting to exceed the capacity they are offering. In short, the response to demand is not keeping pace with the increase in demand. Airlines themselves report offering around 15% less flights than they did pre-pandemic at this point.

They can't staff the flights they have scheduled now. There's no current way to meet the increased demand.

This is the 110% truth and facts.

I have seen pilots (on more than a few occasions) board that were obviously under the influence of alcohol.
Of course you reported all these drunk pilots you saw right?

The seats and interiors are thrashed, recycled air almost unbreathable, and I have had my luggage lost over and over dozens of times. The commercial airline industry is crap compared to what it was in the 70's and 80's. From the 90's on it's been a joke
When I fly the majors all I see is well maintained aircraft flown and crewed by professionals. I trust my life and my family's lives to them. They have given me a safe ride every single time and I thank them for that every time I walk past the cockpit on my egress.

BTW, My father in law was a pilot with an IFR since about 1967 and I learned a lot of about which airlines to avoid and the shortcuts taken to maximize profit.
So what? I'm a flight instructor with a fair amount of experience teaching under part 91 and I know less than zero about airline operations. Holding an instrument rating doesn't mean you know anything about any airline.

Troll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back