Has anyone been denied an airline flight

So…United assured you it wouldn’t be a problem.

AND THEN

You flew roundtrip without a problem.
That said, we have been warned to ensure that middle names and documents all match. And that’s from commercial travel agent/vendor.

I’m pretty sure some of mine still aren’t matched perfectly, and I havent had any issues. The only thing that doesn’t work is Amtrak gives rewards when I have my travel agent book tickets. SMH.

I was nearly denied boarding and caused a flight delay and a special announcement was made on the plane due my incompetence. You see, I was flying out of Munich in business class and ran into three problems. First, I miscalculated the time it would take to walk to the gate from the lounge. Then, I ran into a secondary passport control officer who would not let me pass because I hadn't signed my passport. I was literally the only one there so I guess he had nothing better to do than cause a situation. That turned into an absurd argument worthy of the Far Side. He would not let me sign it in front of him. But if I signed it before I arrived when he wasn't looking it would be valid. Eventually, he called a supervisor who told him to let me pass. Then I ran into a secondary baggage x-ray checkpoint. There were two of us passengers there. A lady in front of me who couldn't find her boarding pass and me. As we waited for her, they announced my name on the intercom. A FA from my flight was looking for me on the other side of baggage x-ray. The FA and I attempted to convince the security guy to allow me to go ahead of the lady that couldn't find her boarding pass, but the security guy wouldn't allow it. So, we waited. Eventually, I got on the plane and my supervisor was asking what took me so long. Then they made an announcement on the plane to ensure that everyone signed their passport. I just pointed to the intercom.

From my experience, the airlines don't care that much about middle names but passport/customs might care.

For reasons unknown to me, I was almost denied entry into China and spent almost an hour in a little office while they investigated me. As soon as they scanned my passport getting off the plane in China, it triggered something in their system and the passport lady was like, Oh, you're the one we're looking for.

When flying internationally, the usual recommendation is to include the full name on the passport. A passport will be acceptable for everything including customs and the security check, so that makes the most sense. Domestically in the US might not be that critical.

I used to read the elliott.org page where a lot of it was about travel woes. One was about a full name that were so long that it didn't fit within the name entry character limit.

One of the weird ones is hyphens. Those can be treated all sorts of ways, including not being allowed, substituting a space, or just dropping it.

Last edited:
I had the same problem. In my old job I had 2 different passports and my drivers license only agreed with one of the passports(middle initial). When the real ID came into play a few years ago I had to get it changed and now only have one passport that matches the license and had turn in the other.

Back