Grocery shopping: where do you folks go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning BITOG faithful
smile.gif
. Where do you folks shop for groceries? The girlfriend and I garden and compost a lot but we go to a IGA grocer and SPARKLE grocery store nearby. Wal Mart once in a great while. I get my tea from a family run coffee and tea shop also as I have a iced tea maker. Thanks in advance. Oh, we do use a ton of coupons too:)

HEB, Sams, Costco. Walmart when I want to combine sight seeing with my food purchases.

Winn dixie. 3 mins up the road, drive right past it for work. They have everything I need, and also using your card gets you money off gas at shell.

For everything except groceries, amazon prime.

Use to be just Winn-Dixie, but all those closed in my area years ago. Now I go to Fresh Air Galaxy, Food Lion, and Walmart. Lately been going to Walmart most of the time now simply because of the Savings Catcher program. Savings Catcher compares prices with lots of stores in the area, and then matches that price, and I get the money back on an e-gift card. It adds up over a period of time.

I live alone and have given up shopping around.

I just grab what I need at Costco, and because it is fresher at the time of purchase, it lasts me a bit longer in the fridge.

So 60-80$ worth of stuff lasts me almost 2 weeks sometimes.

When I go to cheap grocery chains the stuff is almost rotten when I buy it, and it needs to be thrown away at the end of a week so you don't really save anything.

I have 1 Kroger 7 mi N and another 8 mi E + one small independent that I use mainly for their good meats. Everything else is 15 mi or more and not worth the trip. The Kroger fuel points add up and I usually get at least 1 tank a month at .70 off.

Kroger and Meijer mainly. But for speciality stuff (like raw nuts or grass fed yogurt), a health food grocer or Whole foods.

Publix

BOGO free deals, they price match all retail competitors, regular $10 off all $50 gas card promos really add up.

I've used about 70 gas card promotions in the last 3 years. Over $700 in gas savings .

Shoprite, Price Chopper and sometimes Trader Joes and Aldi's if I'm in their area (they are a bit far from me but I'll stop there if in the area for something). I sometimes pick foodstuffs up at Walmart if I'm there for something else but the 'sales' are better at Shoprite and PC.

PS: One thing that annoys me about Walmart is that I occasionally buy beer there and when I try to put the cans or bottles into their (deposit) recycle machines they reject them...I end up throwing them in the recycle at home rather than waiting at Customer Service for $1.20 or $1.50 refund.....I've pretty much stopped buying beer at WM because of this game....

Something making this relevant to geography would be illustrative. Food outlets are frequently regional.

I, for one, would love to see a map of remaining IGA stores.

Here in No. New Jersey we have Shop-Rite (likely the best re prices/consistency/# of locations).

There is a small chain of Foot Town stores which are independently owned. They're good and some what specialized.

We have trader Joe's here but they're still in the "learning curve" (TRANSLATION: They are still new to me).

Whole Foods' largest (or second largest) store is 1.5 miles away in Paramus. Maybe I'll learn to chart the sales there someday.

Stop & Shop (out of Massachusetts) is here too but you gotta watch for sale items there more than other places...can be too fancy.

ACME bought out many of the closed Pathmark locations and are real good too. Gotta love the competition. We got it good here. Kira

Meijer and Costco 90+% of the time. Every so often we'll stop into a Jewel or Aldi.

Hy-Vee based in Des Moines. Employee owned and very well managed. Store is always clean and shelves are stocked. No check-out waiting like at Walmart. The manager sacked our groceries the last time we were there. Mighty glad Hy-Vee is in Columbus,Nebraska.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back