Great oil for hard working air cooled 4 stroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rotella/Delo - 5w40 ,15w40 or 10w30 - easy to find and always at a great price.

Last edited:
That works out really well.
I buy shell 15w-40 and 5w-40 T6 for the car and truck we have now, nothing wrong with standardizing everything on one oil.

We've found that M1 15W-50 is an excellent solution for oil related failures in South Florida air cooled generator engines. The 15W-50 M1 is a very robust oil, with a high HTHS rating of 4.5 (retains viscosity very well at air cooled engine oil temperatures) and has a high level of ZDDP. Furthermore, it's also a diesel engine oil.

Plus it's only $23.97 for 5 quarts at WalMart. Hard to beat the price/protection ratio on that one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet
We've found that M1 15W-50 is an excellent solution for oil related failures in South Florida air cooled generator engines. The 15W-50 M1 is a very robust oil, with a high HTHS rating of 4.5 (retains viscosity very well at air cooled engine oil temperatures) and has a high level of ZDDP. Furthermore, it's also a diesel engine oil.

Plus it's only $23.97 for 5 quarts at WalMart. Hard to beat the price/protection ratio on that one.

It only has a API CF rating, which is an obsolete rating. So best you can say is its an obsolete diesel engine oil.

I know I'm going to give some of you seizures but all my power equipment, lawn, snow, compressors etc run drip oil. It's what's left from the bottom of the container. Can be synthetic, dino, ATF, gear oil, mmo..... if it's oil based it goes in. I've never had an oil related failure either. Just how I do it and have for over 30 years now.

Even use it for a vehicle top up once in a while too when it's close enough to an oil change and I don't want to open up a new bottle...

I use Rural King brand full synthetic 10w30 in my mowers. I have a 1992 Craftsman II push mower with a 3.5hp Tecumseh on it and she still fires up on the first pull and doesn't smoke. I was thinking of trying Royal Purple, but I can get the Rural King oil for $2.79/qt.

L8R,
Matt

Originally Posted By: oil pan 4
I like the obsolete oils they are packed with all kinds of good stuff.

This is especially true with M1, 15W-50. It's loaded with more ZDDP than most oils, including modern diesel oils and it has superior oxidation resistance. In fact, it's so good, it's the superb choice for turbocharged race cars.

And, before you say "my lawnmower/generator/tractor does not need that level of protection, I'd counter with the fact that air cooled engines often have no way to control oil temperature. The best choice is to use an oil capable of handling the heat.

50231d1343237055-random-pictures-thread-only-rule-post-here-more-entertain-me-cx75_turbo.jpg

Last edited:
Dumped in the left over Pennzoil ultra 5w30 in my Briggs and Stratton 700 series mower, seems to like it. Works out nice i usually have just enough oil left over each oil change on my van for my mower

I've been using M1 15W-50 in my 2005 Troy-Bilt (B&S 6.5) mower ever since I dumped the original oil. Runs like a top today. This spring, I was out of M1, and so was my local WalMart, so I picked up a bottle of Valvoline VR1 20W-50. So far so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back