Great oil for hard working air cooled 4 stroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just like the title says.
What is a good air cooled engine oil sold common in the U.S. market?

I am sure the best oil is something not sold locally and costs over $20 a quart and starts with an A.
I have used mobile1 racing4T for a while now, which is usually around $10/qt.
But the other day I was digging around the VOA threads looking for Diesel engine oils and saw a Briggs and Stratton straight 30 weight lawn mower oil VOA. It had pretty much the same amount of anti wear additives as racing4T but had a good bit more detergent and is cheaper than racing4t.
Maybe somethingelse out there I have missed?

My air cooled engine applications:
A 207cc generac pressure washer I beat like a rented mule, it runs wide open on about 98% to 99% of each gallon of gas that goes through it.
A 30+ year old 5hp Briggs air compressor that cycles on and off, punishment level medium to high. High is if I am sand blasting.
10hp Briggs 7kw generator that gets ran pretty hard.
A boring old late 1990s lawn mower that gets stopped and started a lot and does not get ran a lot OR very hard.
And a soon a 22hp V-twin welding generator that I will likely run at idle to medium hard. With some bouts of serious fuel consumption and heat production.

Last edited:
Been using HDEO in my air-cooled stuff forever. My compressors get the stuffing beat out of them with the sandblasting as well, so I know where you are coming from. Currently doing Rotella T6.

My pressure washers get beat up from the wet sandblasting that we use to remove bottom paint from fiberglass hulls. Full load from moment one to moment done.

I do use spare VR1 in my largest and most expensive pressure washer, but that's only because I have plenty of spare VR1.

I use left over Red Line 0w-30 from my vehicles in my air cooled yard engines. My 16 year old Honda mower is doing just fine. It gets worked pretty hard mowing my half to 3 acres of grass depending in the time of year and the yard of the little old lady that lives next door. I go through 2 to 3 sets of blades a year because of the rough terrain. The engine sees a lot of work but still starts first pull every time.

I generally run Shell Rotella T5 10W30 in equipment that calls for 30 Grade.

I run Supertech Universal 15W40 in most of my motorcycles. It tends to shear less than Rotella T 15W40.

Ditto on the T6 5-40, especially for pressure washer, or generator use. I finally worked through the last of my German Castrol stash last year, and T6 seemed a solid replacement.

I run M1 5w40 TDT in all my air-cooled engines. Most people on here will run a HDEO on for these applications. It doesn't have to be synthetic, any 15w40 would be fine as well...but for a few dollars more for a gallon, you can get a better flowing synthetic HDEO.

Synthetic 10w40 is a great choice as well.

ANY 15/40 HDEO from Supertech, Rotella, Delvac, Delo etc and your good to go, all API rated engine oils. Will keep your engine running forever and piston/s clean.

You can buy almost a gallon of the above for what you pay for an unrated quart of Mobile 1 4t ... not that anything is wrong with the 4T, I guess.

Last edited:
I just started using this in my tractors and zero turns.
The price is great on it and the certs pretty impressive.

http://www.docs.citgo.com/msds_pi/C10166.pdf

Time will tell
smile.gif

I have used M1 10-30 for 20 years in all my OPE. Pressure washer, 5KW generator, and 21HP Craftsman riding mower. Have never had a problem with any engines.

I have used Rotella 15W-40 for years in all of my small engines. Never had a single problem with any of them, and I saved quite a bit of money over the more expensive synthetic oils.

I use T6 5W40 in everything but my current cars. If I lived in a warmer climate I'd use 15W40 for everything.
It seems to be good enough from what I can tell. My ATV cartridge filter is always clean and no metallic flakes in the oil, and the level sight glass stays clear and readable.
My old B&S tiller gets the hardest work out but still has almost too good compression and its pushing 40 years.

I run Rotella 15w-40 in most of my small engines. My kid's small displacement dirt bikes and quads,get a serious workout riding in the sand dunes.

Rotella T6 is the winner for me. I run it in the snowblower and mower. Tons of beautiful zinc.

Last edited:
Nope, you didn't miss a thing. I think you'll find HDEO to be the very best choice. It is near perfect chemically and priced right too. It just doesn't get much better.

I've been moving more and more of my OPE over to Rotella T6 since joining BITOG and have had nothing but good experiences thus far. You can buy T6 for under $5/qt when the gallon jug is on Rollback at Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back