grand canyon to yellowstone in one day possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's only 700 miles I don't see why not. I did Harrisurg, PA to Orlando, FL (~900 miles) in 1 day. Took a cooler with soda/water and lunch. Left at 7am, stopped for breakfast, then hit the road . Stopped for gas/pee when the tank was empty. Lunch was at a rest area and back on the road. A good dinner and we were there just before midnight.

The reverse was about the same except we left later in the day and got in at 2am.

I'd imagine in the West it would be easier than on the East Coast.

Last edited:
To answer the OP, I would say it is doable, but not pleasant. A lot of hard driving time. But doable. I've driven from my home (which is on the shortest route between Grand Canyon and Yellowstone.) to Grand Canyon. We left my home about 8:00 AM and arrived at the rim of Havasupai at about dark. Granted, we stopped to visit family in Southern Utah, and stopped for a nice dinner in Arizona. Plus, we accidentally took a small detour. But it was a long drive. I've also went from my home to Yellowstone. It is short of 6 hours. So for me, I would not try to drive that entire route in one day.

As mentioned by others, interstate in rural Utah is posted at 80 mph. It isn't accurate to claim that traffic flows at 90, however. More like 82 - 83 mph. It is safe to do 5 over without getting pulled over. You can do up to 10 over in other speed zones on Utah interstate.

You didn't say if you are shooting for the West gate, or the South gate. West gate is an easier drive, if you want more interstate drive time. South gate is more two lane, but a much prettier of a drive.

As others have mentioned, if it were me I'd plan more time. I know vacation time is limited. But it would be very nice to see Zions, or Arches. If you've already been to the Grand Canyon, Bryce is somewhat more of the same. But it is very nice.

But if that is not an option, I'd still split it up. Perhaps from Grand Canyon to SLC. If you like American history, SLC offers a lot of things to see. Plus, it is pretty city anyway. Tucked right up against the Wasatch mountains. The second day take I-15 North to Brigham City, Utah. Get off the interstate in Brigham City and take Hwy 89 through Sardine Canyon to Logan, Utah. From Logan stay on Hwy 89 through Logan Canyon, which is one of the prettiest drives anywhere. (And I've been in more states than I haven't.) You will come out of Logan Canyon into Bear Lake. Also absolutely beautiful scenery. From there you follow 89 North all the way into the West gate at Yellowstone. Another mandatory stop will be in Jackson Hole, WY. Get your picture under the antler arch. It's one of a kind. In my opinion, this should absolutely be your preferred route.

You won't be disappointed if you take the route through Idaho, up to West Yellowstone, because it is also a pretty drive. And since you will have never seen the other route, you won't know what you missed.

Good luck with your vacation plans. Hope it is everything you are looking forward to.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: widman
The question would be: Why?

There are half a dozen routes that are the most beautiful in the country. You could easily enjoy a few weeks on that route.

Unlike other countries, vacation time in the US is not seemingly unlimited.
smile.gif

But I agree... sometimes it's about the trip, not about destination.

Back when I was young, we did the whole US (from east to west and back to east) in 4 weeks. Would I do it again? Yes, but not in 4 weeks.
smile.gif

There's also not a lot to see in Utah.

Perhaps you can convince all the tourists that come from all over Europe and Asia to visit Arches, Zions, Bryce, Monument Valley, etc., that there is nothing to see in Utah. Tell them all to spend all of their time in your home state, at the Grand Canyon instead. Then it will be easier for Utah locals to visit these most spectacular parts of Utah.

Last edited:
It is possible but a person who does this is sort of nuts. I know a retired colonel who will routinely drive from Helena, MT to Hollywood, CA where he lives in less than 24 hours.

But why?

Usually, I insist on starting between 4-5 AM if I want to cover 500+ miles. Obviously, the traffic situation is completely different on east coast and unless you time it well to avoid the commuting rush, your total driving time will add up quite a lot if you delay your start.

I did the Utah and Grand Canyon part in the late 50's, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana to Seattle in the early 60's, Then several return trips do different parts of Colorado in the mid 60's and 70's, plus a 12,000 mile (9 week) trip with my wife and kids in 1985 in a 27 ft Winnebago, Chicago to the arctic circle, Alaska, Seattle, etc.

Then back to the Grand Canyon a few years ago.

All, thanks for the input. We are going to go from Page Az to shorten the distance a bit.

Whatever way you go, be sure to arrange lodging near Yellowstone in advance. You don't want to drag in after a day's drive and find all of the campgrounds and rooms full. If you're camping, that is grizzly country.

I might also second what BHopkins said about going in from the south, on US 89. Google gives almost the exact same travel time for Page to Jackson, WY, and Page to West Yellowstone, MT.

I assume you're going to tour Yellowstone the next day anyway, and this lets you start with the Tetons. Stay at any of the lodges or campgrounds in the park, like Signal Mountain or Jackson Lake, and you'll wake up to some of the most dramatic scenery in the country.

Be safe and have a fun trip!

Originally Posted By: raaizin
All, thanks for the input. We are going to go from Page Az to shorten the distance a bit.
Make sure 100% that the route through Page is open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back