Got MPH and KPH Confused ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to take a trip today up to extreme northern NY today - was on the other side of the St. Lawrence from Canada.

On the way back, driving down a 2 lane highway with no passing zones I get behind a pickup going 35MPH. Speed limit is 55.

Took me a few minutes to realize what was happening, but after noticing the Quebec plates and the fact that 35MPH was about 55 KMH ... The 45 MPH zones were killer.

Of course, by the time I figured it out ... there was an officer behind me - so I couldn't pass.

VERY slow 40 minutes.

I didn't think people really got that confused ... Or maybe this was someone trying to play a joke?

Nope. I've seen the same thing - people see the number, and don't (for whatever reason) consider the units.

You found the small percentage of Quebec Drivers that obey the speed limit. Usually they are the ones leaving you in the Dust. Drive on the 401 in Ontario between Toronto and Montreal and you'll see what I mean.

Regards, JC.

Maybe they were geriatric snowbirds on their way home for the summer.
wink.gif

Of course you can pass if you stay under or at the speed limit. Why else would they paint passing lanes otherwise?

If the officer had the patience to not pass him, he sure needed to stay put. I would have done the same thing under the circumstances.

Originally Posted By: Maritime Storm
With photo radar in a lot of areas of Quebec a lot more Quebecois are following closer to the speed limit thn they use to.

Not in Vermont they're not...the Québécois tailgating folks who are already 15 over on country roads are legendary...I guess the tickets they might get in our country are meaningless to them...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
With photo radar in a lot of areas of Quebec a lot more Quebecois are following closer to the speed limit thn they use to.

Not in Vermont they're not...the Québécois tailgating folks who are already 15 over on country roads are legendary...I guess the tickets they might get in our country are meaningless to them...

I think one reason the Québécois don't worry about speeding is that their auto insurance is structured differently. The Government covers all bodily injury. The insurance company only covers the damage to the car. Therefore, their insurance is relatively cheap compared to the insurance rates in Ontario for instance. There is no incentive for some drivers to obey the laws since they aren't going to see their insurance go from $500 a year to $1500 a year.

Regards, JC.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Originally Posted By: Astro14

I think one reason the Québécois don't worry about speeding is that their auto insurance is structured differently. The Government covers all bodily injury. The insurance company only covers the damage to the car. Therefore, their insurance is relatively cheap compared to the insurance rates in Ontario for instance. There is no incentive for some drivers to obey the laws since they aren't going to see their insurance go from $500 a year to $1500 a year.

Regards, JC.

Wow, really? I'm moving to Montreal !!

Good call on not passing. Although it would have been legal in a passing zone, the officer just may have decided to liven up his day.

The Canadian cars I encounter around here seem to have no issues converting mph into kph...

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Good call on not passing. Although it would have been legal in a passing zone, the officer just may have decided to liven up his day.

The Canadian cars I encounter around here seem to have no issues converting mph into kph...

Unfortunately, whenever a passing zone would come, so would a long line of cars going the opposite direction.

Got good gas mileage
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back