Do you "flash" to warn of police patrol ahead? Speeding content and rant.

I don't. I wish there were more speed traps. I drive at least 5, if not 10 over, but invariably speeders ride my bumper. I live in a 40 MPH speed zone, never enforced, and really scary if you have children or pets when cars routinely zoom well over that. When I do go through a speed trap, even ten over it's like a joke as in not fast enough. Last time I got a speeding ticket (1996?) I was going 59 in a 40 zone and he wrote it down to 45 or so. I didn't argue with him of course, but were I a police officer you'd get written for actual speed.

A more recent example, my commuter route is on a 35 MPH road where I always go about 45 (it's a little used back road). an officer was approaching from the opposite direction and flashed his blues when he should have ticketed me.

Why are there not more speed traps? Let's pretend speeding is not unsafe, but think of the incredible amount of revenue that they could rake in. I'm not advocating for 1 MPH over, but certainly 10+.

I don't. I wish there were more speed traps. I drive at least 5, if not 10 over, but invariably speeders ride my bumper. I live in a 40 MPH speed zone, never enforced, and really scary if you have children or pets when cars routinely zoom well over that. When I do go through a speed trap, even ten over it's like a joke as in not fast enough. Last time I got a speeding ticket (1996?) I was going 59 in a 40 zone and he wrote it down to 45 or so. I didn't argue with him of course, but were I a police officer you'd get written for actual speed.

A more recent example, my commuter route is on a 35 MPH road where I always go about 45 (it's a little used back road). an officer was approaching from the opposite direction and flashed his blues when he should have ticketed me.

Why are there not more speed traps? Let's pretend speeding is not unsafe, but think of the incredible amount of revenue that they could rake in. I'm not advocating for 1 MPH over, but certainly 10+.
"Speeding" is subjective. The limits posted in some cases, especially highway., are set for the lowest common denominator (however you wish to define it). If someone want's to travel at 100 mph on an open highway in their new or well maintained vehicle so be it.

Perhaps it's not the speeding which bothers you but the reckless driving? That's also subjective to some degree, but the law is written to remove much of it.

I think courts have recently ruled it is free speech. No difference in flashing lights than being at a gas station and telling somebody that there is a s trap down the road.

I always flash my lights at truckers about this. I hate to see people making a living on the road get tagged for money. Just me.

I think courts have recently ruled it is free speech. No difference in flashing lights than being at a gas station and telling somebody that there is a s trap down the road.

I always flash my lights at truckers about this. I hate to see people making a living on the road get tagged for money. Just me.
A guy hauling 40,000lbs is the last person who should be speeding especially with the way CDL's are being handed out vending machine style now.

I find that discussion very interesting. Is it protected free speech or helping people break the law. I'm firmly in the free speech camp.

I'm looking for the video now, but pro-police will generally say it is a "threat to officer safety" in trying to alert someone to their presence, OR interpret it as an emergency situation inside the car and you were trying to flag down assistance/police assistance. I've seen both these logics used. I can illustrate it if I find the certain specific JSO Speed Trap video, where the guy expressly does this and records the interaction...

All I have to say, beyond that, is: 1. Haven't seen people do that that often, though if I see it a few times.. I'll slow up, as this used to be common practice to flash the brights to warn of a cop up ahead. (If the cops see you do it it is illegal in some places, tricky how they word it but Improper Use of Equipment or something. Same way you can be charged with Improper Use of a Horn.)

2. Waze.

Use Waze.

Found the video. His flashing to warn motorists got him pulled. About 30 seconds in he starts the flashing, there is minimal filler before the results of said flashing. (Florida/Duval County/JSO)

So, you’re saying you speed yourself, 5-10 over, but complain about “bumper riders” who want to go faster than you. So what makes your 5-10 over any better than those others that go faster? You’d give tickets for actual speed, but wouldn’t argue with the cop for the same treatment when you got a ticket. Sounds like hypocrisy at its finest here it seems.

It probably has to do with your area, the population, and the size of the police force. I pass about 2-3 cops per day doing radar, and my commute to work is 11 miles.

i flash every time i see a cop clocking, That being said i set my cruise for 8 over every where i go. the only exception is small towns, whatever the sign says is what the cruise is set too. i know how those towns operate, my wife does many of their audits.

I find that discussion very interesting. Is it protected free speech or helping people break the law. I'm firmly in the free speech camp.
Obviously a bit "apples/oranges" given I'm in Canada and not the US, but - here, it's not a question of the purpose for which the lights are being flashed, but rather an issue of non-compliance with traffic regulations. High beams may not be used if less than 300 metres from an oncoming vehicle, period. I suppose one could turn their low beams on and off during the day.

Typically not. While I push the limit on 2 lane roads a bit I'm not a fan of it in general, sometimes those limits actually make sense. I restrict flashing to "there's some accident ahead", "you forgot to turn on your lights", "you've got your brights on" or "your &%^$^&%$ Fwhatever has blinding headlights".

So, you’re saying you speed yourself, 5-10 over, but complain about “bumper riders” who want to go faster than you. So what makes your 5-10 over any better than those others that go faster? You’d give tickets for actual speed, but wouldn’t argue with the cop for the same treatment when you got a ticket. Sounds like hypocrisy at its finest here it seems.
It's an illustration. That is, 5 to 10 over is not enough for my fellow motorists and it does not attract the attention of law enforcement so I am "forced" to speed. But yes, on a road with no traffic, early in the AM and so on, I DO drive the speed limit because I find it to be relaxing.

Back