Got me Some Whiskey, how to sip it? Over rocks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, Enjoy your beverage however you like. Ice cubes with flies in them? It's your drink.
Try different combinations/concentrations.
When it comes to mixing (anything) I make smaller drinks at first. I can catch up if need be.

FYI: There is a chain of liquor store near me which bottles their own brand of wines and liquors.
If such a store is near you I'd recommend trying their brand at some point.
You might be surprised and save some money. Kira

Originally Posted By: linkbelt
In Tn., we just "sip" right from the Mason jar.

I heard that the first spirits that come from the still are actually not ethanol and are 'deadly'. Is this true and if so, when / how does one tell that the ethanol has arrived after this first comdensates?

Two fingers high, with two cubes please. And certainly try other ways, and other whiskies and or bourbons. You'll be pleasantly surprised at some, maybe gag on a few, but the fun is in the hunt and the taste testing.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
I read that Old Fitzgerald is actually a pretty good lower shelf whiskey and is a good sipper.

How DOi sip it? Ice? Some water and ice? No ice ?

http://www.heavenhill.co.nz/prod01_copy%283%29.htm

Old Fitz' is owned by Heaven Hill. I've never had this particular brand, so I cannot comment on it's flavor profile. I prefer the Beam brands (there are many sub-brands under the Beam name), but that does not take away from many other good products from other companies. I've done the "Bourbon Tour" a few times; fun to do if you can get the time.

Just a few notes that will help you.

1) how to consume alcohol is personal preference; there generally isn't a "wrong" way (except, perhaps, irresponibly ...) Whether on the rocks, slashed with branch water (not chlorine-impregnated tap water), or "neat" (straight).
2) Drinking anything much above 90 proof (45% ABV) it considered too "hot" for many folks. This is why they put in ice or water; it thins the ABV down to a tolerable level.

There are two Old Fitz' products; one at 40 and one at 50 proof. You'll have to experiment and see what makes it enjoyable for you. Just remember that it's "best" when it makes you happy, so there really isn't any wrong way to drink it. There are times some folks "waste" good bourbon in my opinon; if you're mixing it with Coke, you don't need a top shelf product when you're heavily diluting it with flavored corn syrup ...

Heaven Hill all tastes the same, try some Willett offerings like Johnny Drum Private Stock, Pure Kentucky or above..

I like to freeze the glass & bottle then add a couple large cubes finish a glass in sub 10 min...nothing like it.

Last edited:
At first I read this as how do you "ship" it.
laugh.gif

Not legal to my knowledge, but I have known it to be done before..

Never been able to drink Whiskey strait with the exception of Evan Williams Cherry over ice. Now blackberry brandy on the other hand...

I would recommend...all the above. One at a time, of course, but each in turn to see how you like it.

Start with 3/8" in the bottom of a glass and sip lightly. Enjoy the full flavor in your mouth.

Next time try the same amount except this time pour in a little bit of water. Just a little. Sip lightly.

Next time maybe a little more water.

Then try varying amounts of ice chips/cracked ice.

Stop when you run out of variations. Go back and revisit and re-enjoy.

Sadly my unrefined palette used to love wild turkey. Right from the freezer. Many a forgotten evening at the expense of my body with that stuff.
I acquired a taste for it,then my local motorcycle enthusiast club had it,and only it for a few years in the bar which means you drank it whether you liked it or not.
I still have a bottle in my freezer. It reminds me every day that I'm the boss and booze no longer controls my life or any choice I make.

I think the general consensus for whisky aficionados is to only add water to open up the taste of the whisky with no ice, no mixers, juices, etc.

My take is that it's always better to do what YOU like and not what the protocol is for how it supposedly SHOULD be done. They'll hate you in Edinburgh or Dublin but at least you'll enjoy it on your terms.

One weekend a year, I drink to catharsis with my brothers up in the Adirondacks. I used to drink spirits neat. Lately, I have been been pouring it over ice. Whiskey, no favorites. They all taste good. Except for an occasional black coffee with a dollop of Black Seal rum. I don't drink much hard liquor. I don't have the time.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Sadly my unrefined palette used to love wild turkey. Right from the freezer. Many a forgotten evening at the expense of my body with that stuff.
I acquired a taste for it,then my local motorcycle enthusiast club had it,and only it for a few years in the bar which means you drank it whether you liked it or not.
I still have a bottle in my freezer. It reminds me every day that I'm the boss and booze no longer controls my life or any choice I make.

LOL I have a bottle of Fireball in the freezer. [censored] is it good.

It's all a matter of personal taste.
Almost any Scotch or Irish is good enough to sip neat.
Canadian is typically very mild in flavor and made to mix, while most Bourbons don't seem all that good to me neat.
There is no reason to adulterate good whiskey with ice, water or (heaven forbid) cola or ginger ale.
When we go out, I'll often order a Manhattan.
It distresses me to be asked whether I want it made with Canadian or Scotch.
A Manhattan is made with rye whiskey, of course.
Shame to have to explain that to a cocktail waitress or a bartender.
One decent sized Manhattan is usually enough and two is the absolute limit for anyone planning on driving home after dinner.
Of course, one could just skip the drinks before dinner and share a bottle of wine with one's wife or date.
Anyway, try sipping this whiskey neat and see what you think of it.

If you want to smell and taste the nuances.... see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frRonhQdRdQ

I'm not wasting whiskey like him though.

Ralfystuff Youtube channel is a good channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/ralfystuff

Note, the glass he uses. It's a Glencairn.
http://www.glencairnwhiskyglass.com/

that glass isn't that expensive either.

After that.... you if you want it iced, if you want it mixed with other stuff, it's entirely up to you.

I just started on Scotch, so, new additions to my liquor cabinet include
Glenlivet 12 year (my starter Scotch)
Glenmorangie 10 year (very tasty)
Talisker 10 year (my starter Peaty scotch)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back