Street fish over charcoal

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Came across these fish last night on a walk in Bangkok. I am not a big fan of fish, and definitely buying fish from a street vendor- but the fish did look good.

It was neat to see the fish on a rotisserie over real charcoal. I don't know the type of fish, how one eats this fish, and how you wash your hands after eating the fish. Kudos to the street vendor cooking/ selling these fish. I am sure it is not an easy way to may a living. From buying the fish at some market, coolers with ice, transporting the ice filled coolers without a vehicle. No way to properly wash up= tough gig.

PXL_20221021_143035424.jpg
PXL_20221021_143032276.jpg
PXL_20221021_143034003.jpg
PXL_20221021_143042850.jpg

Came across these fish last night on a walk in Bangkok. I am not a big fan of fish, and definitely buying fish from a street vendor- but the fish did look good.

It was neat to see the fish on a rotisserie over real charcoal. I don't know the type of fish, how one eats this fish, and how you wash your hands after eating the fish. Kudos to the street vendor cooking/ selling these fish. I am sure it is not an easy way to may a living. From buying the fish at some market, coolers with ice, transporting the ice filled coolers without a vehicle. No way to properly wash up= tough gig.

View attachment 122218View attachment 122219View attachment 122220View attachment 122221
I’d be all over that no doubt!! If it killed me or not that’s another question.

I’d be all over that no doubt!! If it killed me or not that’s another question.
18F,

Maybe I will grow some and give it a try today. I still have no clothes here in Bangkok, and no sense my luggage will show up. I don't want to have what very limited clothes I have to smell like fish. I priced clothes, a shirt, shoes, pants, belt, socks, shorts- over $1200 USD. Business is good for retailers in Bangkok. Most importantly- I am out of fiber pills. International travel causes sour stomachs- fiber pills help reduce the results. I am very leery of street food if I am going to be living in the bathroom.

Gon-

Today I saw an Expedition that looked like yours parked on the side of Hwy. 17 north of Georgetown, SC. Surely this was a coincidence. ;)

Last edited:
Does the air still smell like a mixture of diesel, wood smoke and sh!t? Haven't been to Bangkok since 2003 but the smell of the pollution back then was something special.

Gon-

I saw an Expedition that looked like yours parked on the side of Hwy. 17 north of Georgetown, SC, surely this was a coincidence. ;)
EH,

I hope you saw my SUV in South Carolina. The SUV has full insurance coverage- I would take the insurance money and the lessons learned from the past SUV purchase and buy another.

Does the air still smell like a mixture of diesel, wood smoke and sh!t? Haven't been to Bangkok since 2003 but the smell of the pollution back then was something special.
TCP.

I am staying in what I suspect is a better area of Bangkok. Pollution seems not bad, no noticeable bad smells. I have worked all over the world, and I would be in tune to the bad smells. The Bangkok canals look pretty disgusting though.

Economy looks really good here. Cement trucks running around like crazy in the dark on a Friday night. Constructions workers busy working on a Friday night also. And a huge amount of large gutted western middle-aged men walking around with real young, scantily dressed Thai females...... that is so disgusting.

I saw a Tesla dealership being opened up in a super high-end mall in Bangkok. Clothes here are considerably more expensive than clothes in the USA.

Counting the days to get back to the USA. 15 days left here in Bangkok. I used to enjoy working outside the USA...... not anymore (stay young my friend).

The busses labelled "sex tour" with a bunch of older white men and a mixture of thai women or boys still sits in my memory. Spent a month all over the country in March of 2003 with 4 or 5 days in Bangkok.

The busses labelled "sex tour" with a bunch of older white men and a mixture of thai women or boys still sits in my memory. Spent a month all over the country in March of 2003 with 4 or 5 days in Bangkok.
Reading this morning's Bangkok Post, just finished an article where a school director was just sentenced to 385 years in jail (not a typo), for serving shoddy school lunches. The charge the director was guilty of is malfeasance.

The reason for the high sentence was the defendent's offences werer serious and detrimental to the children's development.

I remember an outdoor cafe on Mindanao that had a long grill, 20 or 25 feet long. They had a rotisserie setup using a bicycle chain and electric motor. On the spur were dozens of whole chickens. There was a team of people busy swapping out cooked chickens and replacing with fresh ones. Charcoal was constantly added. Basting and preparation and afterwards the chopping.

They had a long trough type sink with multiple faucets to wash hands before and after. No hand towels, we just waved our hands.

That chicken was delicious along with rice and a San Mig.

Smells good but probably doesn't taste good unless you are a local. Reminds me of those vintage peanut roasting machines that filled out door flea markets with wonderful aromas until you bought a bag and had some nuts, usually disappointing lol.

Back