Good oils for cleaning up a motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, thanks Terry.

I would go with AutoRx. Everyone on this board has had great success with it. Delvac would do very well too.
smile.gif

auto-rx.com

[ January 02, 2003, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

buster
I think you'll like the Auto-Rx results. IMO the 500 miles is a bit conservative if your engine is in reasonable state of cleanliness. I have been doing mucho testing as you are probably aware and luckily for me increased tappet noise indicates my filter change intervals. Don't know about your engine though. Good luck...s

I hope so. Did you mean by conservative that I should go longer then 500 miles or less? My engine should be really clean, but you never know. I'm running Amsoil currently and I want to have it analyzed at 7K miles. I was thinking of using it after this, with dino oil, then testing Mobil 1. Patman suggested I wait to use Rx after I run the M1 so it wont' effect the analysis. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks for your advice.
smile.gif

I tried to get back on topic with my question. The first post from bluedevils asks which oil would be best to clean the ring area in order to reduce oil consumption. The thread by that time had migrated to this A-rx stuff. If it ain't in walmart I'd like to know where to get it and what it does. I have no clue what rugerman1 is talking about. How about a link, or at least a hint.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyG:
I tried to get back on topic with my question. The first post from bluedevils asks which oil would be best to clean the ring area in order to reduce oil consumption. The thread by that time had migrated to this A-rx stuff. If it ain't in walmart I'd like to know where to get it and what it does. I have no clue what rugerman1 is talking about. How about a link, or at least a hint.

They are a site sponsor. Here's a direct link:
Auto-Rx

OK, I read the add. Sorry guys, it does not address my specific question. Nor does it answer the question of the original poster. Both of us are suffering from stuck rings or excessive carbon build up in the ring area. Caddy has gone to great lengths in the 2000 Northstar to reduce this area by moving the top ring dangerously close to the crown of the piston. Mostly because of MANY customer complaints of high oil consumption. This sounds like the same stuff a guy on another board I frequent was talking about. I think he called it Lucas. Now, is there one particular oil that might be better at cleaning up this area or not?

IMO 500 miles is a little conservative for a 'clean' engine as I'm on 3rd clean on my turbo engine and still crud in filter. Frank could elaborate on the 500 miles as he probably had to cover it's use in a very dirty engine, and the filter would go away pretty quickly.

JohnnyG,
Please re-read the posts by Terry & MolaKule on page 2 of this thread.A lot of info in those posts.

Mark

quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyG:
OK, I read the add. Sorry guys, it does not address my specific question. Nor does it answer the question of the original poster. Both of us are suffering from stuck rings or excessive carbon build up in the ring area. Caddy has gone to great lengths in the 2000 Northstar to reduce this area by moving the top ring dangerously close to the crown of the piston. Mostly because of MANY customer complaints of high oil consumption. This sounds like the same stuff a guy on another board I frequent was talking about. I think he called it Lucas. Now, is there one particular oil that might be better at cleaning up this area or not?

Johnny, In all due respect this thread has all kinds of suggested oil for cleaning if you go back and read. You asked for a link to Auto-rx and you got it. So I guess I don't understand your complaint. And yes, I believe the ad for auto-rx does suggest it will clean carbon deposits and others here have used it with success. Why do you think that oil is the right answer to your problem when it might be a cleaning product that's needed? There's another product called Lube Control (in the crankcase) and Fuel Power (in the gas tank) which if used together will clean up your rings, but you can't buy that at Walmart either.

You GOT THAT Bluedevils? You asked the wrong question and it took to weeks to not get an answer! From this last post, the answer is NONE, except for a LOT of "good" information.

The topic did veer off course for a while, but there was some good information flowing. I'm proud of starting a topic that generated so many replies, albeit many off-topic ones!

I'm disappointed that I didn't get to test the thicker Delvac 1300 experiment longer but it was cut short when the dealer did a goofy quick flush procedure with some B&G stuff and a couple back-to-back oil changes last week. Oh well. So far I'm not seeing much, if any, consumption after about 300 miles but only more time and miles will tell.

Disclaimer: Yes, I've spent time searching earlier posts...

What oils are good for cleaning up a motor? The 3.5L V6 in my Trooper has 75k miles and presumably lots of carbon buildup due to high oil consumption. I've always run 5W30 (went from dino to to synth blend to Mobil 1 Tri-Synth back to dino) which I'm sure hasn't helped the consumption.

I bought some Delvac 1300 15W40 tonight and plan to run it for 1,000 miles then change it out and possibly run it again.

Any suggestions?

OK, I'm new at this game and not getting any younger. As you can see, I don't even know how to quote a previous post yet. But anyway, I'm not quite done with this subject yet, so bare with me.
First of all, I must apologize for making some assumptions about this thread. When I first read Bluedevils post, I assumed that his excessive oil consumption was due to stuck ring packs and he wanted an oil to help clean that area of his engine. I also presumed that he wanted to do this to reduce his oil consumption. I must now assume that at 75k, his engine is just worn out and he needs an oil that will clean up the blowby etc. His engine is obviously going to use oil until it dies and no motor oil is going to reverse that trend. I did not mean to sound like I was flaming bludevils for his post in my last reply. This is a good thread from which I have learned quite a bit. Mostly I have learned to read more carefully. I have been guilty of applying my own circumstances to those of the original poster, and "hearing" the wrong information. My problem seems to be stuck rings on a '99 Cadillac STS, Northstar 4.6 w/ 42,000 mi. General consensus at the Cadillac forums, to which I recommend this site, seems to be that high oil consumption in this engine can be attributed to stuck rings. Cadillac has issued a TSB and devised a method of cleaning these ring packs up (with cleaners) without dissasembling the engine. If anyone on this forum would like to recommend a course of action which would duplicate this "cleanup" I would appreciate it greatly. Would anyone be willing to make a recommendation as to which oil to use in this engine to prevent this from happening to other Northstar owners? Further the moderator of those discussions is a Cadillac engineer (engine, I believe). He has stated many times that Mobil1 or other synthetics NOT be used in this engine. Could anyone tell me why that would be? Once again, I apologize for not listening and would like to thank all of you for the information on this board. John G

JohnnyG

Reread Terry's post on page 2 of this thread where he says, "...Motor Oils are designed to lubricate and safely disburse unfiltered contaminates for a design period of time. NOT clean microscopic layers of carbonacous deposits. If that oil chemically attempts to clean it will not lubricate and disburse properly resulting in poor lubrication function and increased wear...."

That Delvac 1300 15W-40 is probably too viscous for your engine in an Ohio winter, and it probably won't clean the way you want it to.

Try Auto-Rx, and clean your engine the way described for a Saturn http://www.auto-rx.com/

Ask that Caddie engineer why he does not recommend synthetic oils, and let us all know.

Ken

My recommendation for the NorthStar engine would be the two-step cylinder soak with Neutra and Lube Control, which involves pulling the plugs and soaking overnight.

I believe this was also discussed in the Toyota Sluding Thread.

What do you guys think GM is using to remove ring deposits in Northstars? The proceedure calls for a 2 hour soak on warm pistons.
I'll try to get the info on synthetics from the GM engineer, but I don't think he'll say much. It could be strictly economical. I think generally there is a tendency for the Northstar to start leaking at the engine case seal (it's a split case design) which is aggravated by sythetics. Or maybe it's just the "thinner" viscosity of M1. One thing is for SURE...nothing but 10w-30 dino is recommended by him for this engine. He also says they are "tested and validated to 300,000 miles" by GM using dino oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back