Early Oil Change on Brand New Vehicle a Good Idea?

So I thought I was being really smart by changing my new vehicles' engine oil prematurely.

I used M1 in my wife's 2021 Jeep Wrangler 2.0L turbo engine at 1k miles and then again at 2.5k miles. (Used Wix for synthetic oil filter both times).

I used M1 in my Ford F-150 PowerBoost 3.5L turbo engine at 500 miles and 4,500 miles.

After the first oil change for each vehicle I saw particularly prominent specks of metal in the oil basin. I mean like there was plenty of particle debris in the bottom.

These particles diminished in size and quantity after the second change.

Then my neighborhood mechanic -- a very experienced Ford technician -- told me I shouldn't have. That those particles are good to circulate and embed and help seat components and help seal the pistons.

Seriously?

The only data point I have is my son's 2014 Jeep Wrangler with the 3.7. We changed its oil at 500 miles, then 3k miles, then 6,600 miles -- using only M1 and either Mopar or Wix filters. The engine is still humming along at 82k miles with no noticeable oil consumption.

Thoughts anyone?
That’s interesting advice. Machining is far better than years ago.. one would like to believe there will always be traces of wear metals etc especially the first 1,000 or so miles of an engines life. The biggest thing I heard of is keeping rpm’s within a range and driving with different loads minimizing red line until at least 1,000 miles or so. Doing so is good to seat the piston rings. Can I be wrong absolutely does this make sense also absolutely. Maybe just old advice from my friends father who built race engines for motion performance in Baldwin ny back in the 70s. Now leaving those wear metals to assist with break-in that sounds a bit wonky. Maybe speak to a metallurgist about this lol.

Now as for changing oil out early I don’t think there is harm in changing the initial factory fill within 1,000-2,000 miles especially since the vehicle could have been sitting for awhile or even test driven hard etc who knows. But yes I’ve always changed factory fill out at 1,000 miles with a new filter it’s good practice especially if you plan on long term ownership.

I had a 98 F-150 with a rebuilt 4.2 bored .30 over and that mechanic recommended coming back to him or doing so myself to change the oil and filter out at two, 500 mile intervals.

Last edited:
I've only bought new in the past 25 years, have changed the oil immediately after the drive home from the dealerships (following some "ring seating" acceleration/deceleration cycles), then again at 500 miles, then went to a regular change schedule. Never an engine issue and we still drive all 5 of them.
And I just do the first change at the normal interval and never had an engine issue....🤣🤣🤣

So I thought I was being really smart by changing my new vehicles' engine oil prematurely.

I used M1 in my wife's 2021 Jeep Wrangler 2.0L turbo engine at 1k miles and then again at 2.5k miles. (Used Wix for synthetic oil filter both times).

I used M1 in my Ford F-150 PowerBoost 3.5L turbo engine at 500 miles and 4,500 miles.

After the first oil change for each vehicle I saw particularly prominent specks of metal in the oil basin. I mean like there was plenty of particle debris in the bottom.

These particles diminished in size and quantity after the second change.

Then my neighborhood mechanic -- a very experienced Ford technician -- told me I shouldn't have. That those particles are good to circulate and embed and help seat components and help seal the pistons.

Seriously?

The only data point I have is my son's 2014 Jeep Wrangler with the 3.7. We changed its oil at 500 miles, then 3k miles, then 6,600 miles -- using only M1 and either Mopar or Wix filters. The engine is still humming along at 82k miles with no noticeable oil consumption.

Thoughts anyone?
I've never ever seen sparkleys or specks in any car engine oil. Yes in a couple chondas. But never car or truck engines. I am floored by this. I don't suppose you kept a sample?

I do change my oil fairly soon 500-1000 give or take. But that's a bit of a different discussion. Yeah, not a bad practice.

My last new car was my 2014 Mustang GT. I did the first change at about 4,600 miles when the car was a year old. The next change was done after about 7,200 miles and one year later. I started doing about 5,000 mile changes after that and the car now has 36,000 miles on it and uses no oil and runs fine.

I did do a couple of early changes on my 98 Chevy K1500 which I also bought new and it has always used a little bit of oil. It now has about 143,000 miles on it.

I've never ever seen sparkleys or specks in any car engine oil. Yes in a couple chondas. But never car or truck engines. I am floored by this. I don't suppose you kept a sample?

I do change my oil fairly soon 500-1000 give or take. But that's a bit of a different discussion. Yeah, not a bad practice.

I've done the first oil change on 11 cars now and every single one had some kind of metallic debris in the oil filter. Some worse than others.

I guess I'm lucky!!

Do you go looking for it though? My Wife's old Sandero came out like a copper factory...

But my own Duster, you really had to go looking to find it...

Do you go looking for it though? My Wife's old Sandero came out like a copper factory...

But my own Duster, you really had to go looking to find it...
Yes. My drain pans are clean to start and I have a nice filter cutter. And I've done some UOA's (Yeah I know). Looks like lightly used oil. Toyota. Honda. Subaru. Volvo.

These posts are the best...we have:

I bought car X new, did an early change, and now I have Y miles and it runs great!

or

I bought car X new, did the first change at the normal interval, and now I have Y miles and it runs great!

download.jpeg

Back