Early Oil Change on Brand New Vehicle a Good Idea?

Looking forward to your tests so we can be enlightened
I'd rather be enlightened by those that do opinions / reviews for free, versus those that get benefits for their videos

There are so many here at BITOG, that know the insides & outs of motor oils, over-that of Whats His Name.

See! I already forgot who he is. Thank goodness for that.

100 or 1000 or 5000 miles makes no difference at all. Seriously

Even some pretty junky chirononda OPE engines that make metal paste probably not huge difference if not changed right away but still those are scary as opposed to any modern automotive engine.

UOAs posted of factory fills seem high in particles so an early change seems harmless unless there is something special about the factory filled oil?

I just did this to 2 vehicles with new engines.
I recently purchased a new 2024 Lincoln Corsair. I just did the first oil change on it at 2990mi. It was do e a dealership.
My choosing to do the oil change.

Since it was done at the dealership I requested the Ford Motorcraft full synthetic oil. 5W-30.

The very next day at the Lincoln dealership I dropped my Ford EcoSport and had an oil change done on it early.
I recently experienced the oil pump failure with the 1.0 EcoBoost. I decided to put a new engine in it. Just had it changed early at about 3500 mi on it.

There was probably no reason anybody needs to do an early oil change.
Most people do it for peace of mind. Any metal shavings from productionshould have been drained out with the oil change. If there were any metal shavings they should have been filtered out by the oil filter.

I don't know of any car manufacturer anymore that has a specialty break-in oil or requires an early oil change.

It wasn’t that long ago that some of the new Corvettes called for a 500 mile oil change. For the 2014-2019 Corvettes with the dry sump oiling system GM specified a 500 mile change (and dealers were doing it for free)

I also know that BMW used to call for a 1200 mile oil change on their M cars, and may still call for them these days

Back