Good foods to help low cholesterol

Good Afternoon folks. Asking for the real brother in Boiling Springs PA. He is on a low dose cholesterol med. I said I’d stay away from lunch meats, too many eggs and maybe try low fat milk or oat/almond milk (I use and love the oat milk).

Thank You all

Yes, cut out fried foods, fast food, processed meats, sugary stuff. Eggs are highly nutritious, so I wouldn't necessarily avoid them. Moderation...

Unfortunately, genetics drives a large percentage of one's cholesterol levels and risk of heart disease. And since there is no simple answer to most of these things, his other risk factors may also impact his risk for heart disease. Like his Triglycerides to HDL ratio, etc.

Anyway, going as plant based as possible is probably the best path. But still no guarantee that he won't have heart trouble, again, based on those genetics.

Dietary cholesterol doesn’t contribute all that much to your blood cholesterol unless you overeat on fried foods and carbs. Obesity tends to result in high cholesterol but not necessarily. The cholesterol level is more a function of your genetic disposition and level or lack of activity. Your liver makes cholesterol. Foods high in soluble fiber can help absorb dietary cholesterol. Oats, barley, beans, avocadoes, olive oil, ACV, and nuts help lower bad cholesterol. Also spirulina, lecithin, fish oil, garlic, and niacin/vitamin B3. Eat oily fish like mackerel and salmon regularly. Eggs are okay in moderation, meaning you can have an egg or two every day but don’t have a 5-egg omelet and a stack of pancakes. I have been trying to cut down red meat to once a week. Most important is physical exercise because exercise stimulates enzymes that help metabolize or excrete LDL. Cholesterol is essential for good health. When the proper ratio between the good and the bad cholesterol is off for years you put your cardiovascular health at risk. The buildup of plaque and the resulting inflammation are killers. If your good cholesterol gets too low you will get ill. Most people can get their cholesterol back into the normal range simply by increasing their level of physical activity and eating sensibly. Often you don’t have to change your total cholesterol but just adjust the ratio between LDL and HDL to be in the healthy range.

Exercise, exercise, exercise

Stop all sugars. No jam, honey, jelly, NO FRUIT JUICE.

No white bread, and only high protein bread one slice per day.

Very lean meat and lean chicken, Lots of fish.

Hemp oil, fish oil and flax seed oil in small supplement amounts (don't drink, these are fats after all)

Two, but better, FOUR servings of greens - any type with your lean meat.

A little brown rice, some quinoa, sweet potato can be your starches. Oats are fine, but no need to get fixated on oats. There are some cool grains out there, like farro and millet for example.

NO and I mean NO white flour of any type. NO NO NO NO WHITE FLOUR. IT is a KILLER.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention there is one sweet treat that can help lower cholesterol. At least a few studies have shown that dates can help lower cholesterol. They also help stabilize blood sugar levels. That's dates in moderation, like a few, not half a pound. I always put chopped dates in my pre-run morning mush made of oats, bran, nuts, powdered peanut butter, and berries in oat milk. My cholesterol levels are spot on but I'm sure it's mostly because of my strict exercise regimen. For best success, exercise and diet need to come together.

Oats are nasty.
Not if you're a 🐎 LOL

LOTS of options: Cheerios, oatmeal, Kix, RXBar, GFB, and this stuff:

Not if you're a 🐎 LOL

My Daughter owns 2 $100,000.00 valued Horses yeah I know,,,, but she won't feed the horses oats .

High LDL is more or less lifestyle issue. As long as he improves lifestyle (i.e. makes it active), including diet, it will take care of itself. It will take time but it also took a decade or more to reach to this point.

That said, I would not keep a goal of getting rid of Statins. In addition to using CoQ10 (Qunol at Costco is great), ask him to get a prescription for Lovaza (or generic). Statins have a lot of beneficial effects other than just controlling LDL.

Thank You sir
Not if you're a 🐎 LOL

i don’t listen to much wpod says anyways. Everyone has a opinion

Back