Are hot/sweet peppers good for you?

I don't know about the hot and cold things. I mean - some Chinese friends/visitors still ask for hot water on a hot day. I keep on hearing claims that hot water helps with digestion, even though the body self-regulates internal temperatures unless there's hypothermia or hyperthermia. The talk about ice water congealing fats is just silly because that doesn't happen in the body. Also - I don't think that's really a Chinese tradition per se but more of a tradition of boiling water to make it safe to drink. They don't have any such tradition in Taiwan, even before they had sanitary municipal water. Most homes would have boiled water that was then cooled or even used to make ice.

There have been studies that suggest that the heavy consumption of hot water has led to various cancers of the mouth and esophagus.

The big thing was that it made bland foods more interesting, and at a much cheaper price than traditional spices.

It is a Mainland thing, this video has the answer.

And stomach cancer.

I think that and soju are the reason Korean has a very high stomach cancer rate.

I can tell you this much for a fact. Those little chinese peppers they use in General Tso's Chicken CURED me from sinus issues I was having in my working years in the oil industry.
I don't know about the hot and cold things. I mean - some Chinese friends/visitors still ask for hot water on a hot day. I keep on hearing claims that hot water helps with digestion, even though the body self-regulates internal temperatures unless there's hypothermia or hyperthermia. The talk about ice water congealing fats is just silly because that doesn't happen in the body.
I "think" based on what I read, and an acupuncturist friend of mine, that this is the "warm and cold" effect instead of the body heat. Yes you can feel cold when your body should be regulating your body temperature and blood flow, but as we know it doesn't always reach the optimal right away and sometimes you want to manipulate it.

The drinking warm water thing is probably more like "adding active heat" to your internal organs rather than letting your body regulate it to the 36C we want, slowly. There are athletes who warm up by stretching, there are also athletes who warm up their muscle with a heating pad right before the competition begin, and there are athletes who "dope" their body with substance to increase blood flow or metabolism. I guess the chili pepper, ginger, cinnamon-based winter diet is actually doing the doping rather than the actual body temperature regulation.

Absolutely, even in the grocery store I see this.

This was my understanding from what I was told by a local nursery. When I bought them they had those little markers that said yellow bell pepper. I may try from seed next year and see what happens vs buying an established plant.

@y_p_w I was told the same that all sweet peppers start out green when I purchased the yellow pepper plants.

If you find out more info it would be greatly appreciate. Yellow bells are my fav, I eat at least 3 a week.

I haven’t searched this; thought I’d ask the knowledgeable folks here about the subject. I recall my grandfather eating hot and spicy stuff a lot while I was growing up. He never, ever ate junk food or sweets either. His cholesterol was real good grandma told me. So, are hot peppers, sweet peppers good for us? Think a uncle of mine said they may help with dissolving the plaque in arteries? Thank You all folks.
"He never, ever ate junk food or sweets either"

Back