Good deal, or should I keep what I have

Status
Not open for further replies.
I PROMISE this will be the last thread about this I will post.

I have a tentative deal for my 2011 Corolla + 15.7k for a 2013 Accord EX-L w/Nav (I-4).

Is this worth it?

Before I go for it, is there ANYTHING I can do to correct the steering/wandering problems of this car, or should I ditch the EPS [censored] before the Corolla drops further in value?

Not sure I get what you're proposing...trade in a 2011 Corolla for a new Accord...and pay 15,000+??

What trim levels? What models? How many miles on the Corolla? At first blush, looks like you're getting hosed but I don't know your whole story...

No not a good DEAL.

Have you tried (or I should say has the dealership) tried another set of tires on this vehicle to see if its a tire issue over a vehicle issue?

Plenty of Corollas with NO issues on steering/wandering. If the dealership is saying its "normal" then go over with the service manager in your car and show him the problem. Then go over to a used one or new one (since they are still the same gen) and see if it does it.

There are some tire combos and road surface that have less than optimum results. Normally changing the tires helps a lot. (and I think cheaper than $15,000+)

Buying a new car is not a good "deal" except for the dealership.

Bill

Originally Posted By: smc733

I have a tentative deal for my 2011 Corolla + 15.7k for a 2013 Accord EX-L w/Nav (I-4).

Is this worth it?

Umm... you gave us partial information, so how could we possibly answer this?

How much are they giving you for the corolla?

But other than that, ditching a 2-year-old car is typically never a "good deal". If one shop can't figure out your suspension issue, try a different shop.

I would agree with others. try to get your car fixed as the steering issue does not seem normal. also shelling out $15,000 plus your car for a 2013 Honda seems like you are getting the short end of the stick.

That's a Huge complaint (eps) on the current generation Corolla, especially at highway speeds. Feels like the steering shaft is made of rubber.

Personally I would keep the Corolla but if it drove me bonkers I would get rid of it .... maybe trade for a Civic of the same year.

Does anyone have recommendations on a good 15" tire for my car? Would getting the 16" alloys help the steering at all?

A different wheel / tire combo won't change a poor design.
Now that I think about it... I would trade it for a 2011 Civic.

Off Topic: I rented a Cruze with an EPS and was amazed at just how precise it gave the Cruze cat like reflexes and just a joy to steer... whether on bad / good road surfaces and at city/highway speeds. I think some BITOG member said it designed by ZF.

I PROMISE this will be the last thread about this I will post.

Is this worth it?

Before I go for it, is there ANYTHING I can do to correct the steering/wandering problems of this car, or should I ditch the EPS [censored] before the Corolla drops further in value?

I would need more info to know if the proposed deal is a fair one or not? How much do you owe on the Corolla and how much are they giving you towards it? How much does the Accord cost? On it's face just looking at it quickly, to me, it seems like you are getting scareeeweed BIG TIME. A 2011 Corolla PLUS $15,700 for a 2013 Honda Accord? That doesn't seem right unless your Corolla is a bare bones no options dud that has a ton of miles( and you owe a lot on it )and the Accord is a top of the line model with every single option offered.

That is just too much money to have to give towards the Accord seeing as you are also trading a 2011 vehicle. Again though, it depends on what you owe, how much they are giving you, and how much the Accord costs. More info will let us know if it is a good deal or not.

I will say this though that is in disagreement with others. I could care less if it is a 2 year old car. I don't care if it is 2 months old frankly. If you don't like it or feel unsafe in it then get rid of it even if you take a hit. Keeping a vehicle you hate is pointless. All it does is drive you buts. Get something you like and feel safe driving and move on. You WILL be happier in the end than keeping a vehicle you hate to save a few hundred or thousand bucks.

I actually did just that with a brand new vehicle I bought and owned for just 7 months. Ironically it was a Toyota( 2005 Tacoma ). Never had so many problems with a vehicle in my life and absolutely got to the point I hated it. Never was so happy as the day I gave the keys to the dealer and drove off in my new Silverado. Even at more $ a month. Well worth it.

Last edited:
What makes you think he would be happier in the Accord than in his Corolla? He bought the Corolla after test driving just like he is buying the Accord after test driving. What is the difference? Did the Corolla fall apart in two years he had owned it? Did the wandering start after two years or was it already there?

No logic is going to justify his decision. He should do what he wants to do. If he owns that Corolla outright, then it seems he is getting the raw end of the deal. If he is still making payment on it, then he could treat it as if he is going to make payments on the 15K that he is putting in to it and getting a brand new car for that money as long as he is willing to forget he ever had a Corolla.

He hates Corolla and he wants a new car.

End of discussion; he does not need to justify it to me or anybody else.

"Go for it!"

Originally Posted By: Vikas
End of discussion; he does not need to justify it to me or anybody else.

Yet, he's asking a public forum if it's a good deal or not.

Ok,

So I should clarify, I don't HATE the Corolla, and while the Accord is a very nice car, I am very worried about being able to keep it nice in NE, since I won't have garage parking for at least a few more years.

I was thinking of spending $2k to get the car fixed up nice:
1. 16" OEM alloys with tires ~ $1,200
2. TRD Rear/Front sway bar, and TRD lowering springs

What do you all think about those modifications? Would they help?

After renting a few Corolla's recently and testing driving a 2013 Accord (ableit 6speed manual) I would jump off the that cliff in heartbeat into an Accord if my wallet could handle it.

The deal seems fair as far as dealers go.

Given that that car stickers at 30K and has an invoice of 27.5K, that doesn't sound like that horrible of a deal (given the fact that it is a new in-demand model.) Was that an OTD price or + TTL?

You have to decide what you can afford (and how much you really hate the Toyota.) I probably would not want to buy one in Boston and park it on the street. My advice would either be to keep the Corolla or look at an LX and save several K.

Corolla vs Accord is really a bad comparison as they are 2 different sizes...compact vs mid-size...with all the impact such differences would affect in terms of design and function...much like the difference between a Corolla and a Camry.

If OP does not dislike the Corolla, then I'd recommend finding a competent mechanic to fix what ails it...I don't think these...
1. 16" OEM alloys with tires ~ $1,200
2. TRD Rear/Front sway bar, and TRD lowering springs

would be a guaranteed fix...they may be only because one of these may repair/replace the offending part, but then again maybe not...

...and worse....

...even if they were the cure, they may not raise the level of the ride's quality to that of the Accord (or a Camry)...

If I liked the Corolla, finding out what is wrong with would be my 1st priority...if I was "tired" with it, I'd get the Accord and not bother trying to fix the Corolla.

I would report your steering problem to the NHTSA ASAP and from the looks of it there are others like you with the same steering/wandering problem. 2011 Corolla steering problems
Do I sense a recall in the near future? File an official complaint so your voice will be heard and recall escalated.

Either get the problem addressed by Toyota or swap it soon.

Originally Posted By: GenSan
I would report your steering problem to the NHTSA ASAP and from the looks of it there are others like you with the same steering/wandering problem. 2011 Corolla steering problems
Do I sense a recall in the near future? File an official complaint so your voice will be heard and recall escalated.

Either get the problem addressed by Toyota or swap it soon.

I am very troubled, perhaps I have adjusted to the problem so easily that I didn't realize how bad it is.

I let my fiancé drive the car (first time she's driven it), around town, and she noticed the steering felt odd (among how underpowered the car is).

When she took it on the highway, she asked me how I drove the thing, and remarked at just how unsafe she felt driving the car. She said that if you had to look away for a split second she felt she would be in another lane.

EDIT: I think I should swap it, but I don't know for what?

Accord I4/V6
Altima I4/V6
Chrysler 200 V6

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
I will say this though that is in disagreement with others. I could care less if it is a 2 year old car. I don't care if it is 2 months old frankly. If you don't like it or feel unsafe in it then get rid of it even if you take a hit. Keeping a vehicle you hate is pointless. All it does is drive you buts. Get something you like and feel safe driving and move on. You WILL be happier in the end than keeping a vehicle you hate to save a few hundred or thousand bucks.

I agree. Life doesn't have to always be about saving every red cent; it's too short in my opinion to drive something you don't like... I traded a 12-month-old 2011 Camry on a 2008 CR-V, and I like the CR-V more than any car I've owned. I'd do that deal again, every time.

The financial deal may not be horrible either, but as others have said, a lot of information has been left out. Do you owe more on the Corolla than its worth? If so, that's going to show up in the final numbers. Pretending you don't owe more than it's worth, if they are selling you the Accord for $26,700, and asking for $15,700 from you, that means they're giving you $11,000 as trade on your Corolla. Those may be "fair" numbers, but again, we don't know all the details of what you're trading and what you're buying.

When she took it on the highway, she asked me how I drove the thing, and remarked at just how unsafe she felt driving the car. She said that if you had to look away for a split second she felt she would be in another lane.

Have you ever had the alignment checked? And if so, do you KNOW what the front and rear toe values are? Not just that the alignment is "good", but do you know the actual numbers? It sounds as if you may have at least a toe problem. If your front toe is neutral or out just a little, the car will feel wandry...and moreso as speed increases. Steering feel is one thing, but it sounds like you have more going on than that. If you have to constantly correct it at speed, then something's up with the alignment. I had a 2007 Corolla and it drove like a dream. Very precise, very solid on the road, very nimble.

Accord I4/V6
Altima I4/V6
Chrysler 200 V6

Skip the V-6 option on the Accord and Altima, and if you're looking for good steering feel/precision, you can stike the Chrysler from your list right away. The Accord and Altima are both very good vehicles, and the I-4 is very good in both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back