ATF SP-IV was replaced with Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage. Will it damage my Transaxle? Help!

Pennzoil Platinum LV is the only Pennzoil ATF compatible with SP-IV transmissions. They screwed up, but I'm not surprised, at the chain shop I work at many times the computer tells me to put Dex III in transmissions that should not be filled with Dex III, including Kia/Hyundai transmissions. If the tech is competent they may have actually put the right stuff in vs what the work order says, I know I always do research before changing trans fluid and make sure the right stuff is put in, maybe ask to speak to the tech that worked on your car.

And the Pennzoil Platinum ATF can be bought at Hone Depot for $5.98 a quart...

Cheap and way less aggervation vs going to Firestone.

From their website

When you get your transmission serviced at your local Firestone Complete Auto Care, you have a few options to fit your needs. All fluid exchanges are made according to the fluid specifications recommended by your vehicle manufacturer.
Oh My God, that's a joke. The personnel at the particular Harrisburg Firestone are completely incompetent!

They put fluids in my vehicle that are clearly marked as not compatible by the aftermarket manufacturer!

I'm just wondering how much gear damage has occurred to the transfer case when it requires 75w90 and Firestone put a thin CVT fluid in it? Luckily it only engages at 25 mph or below when it senses slippage from the front wheels.

Anyone ever watch the YouTube channel "Rainman Ray"? He's a mechanic that works at a NAPA service center in Florida.

I would totally trust him to work on my vehicle. He's intelligent and has the skills and knowledge to know when a wrong spec is being called for on a vehicle, and possesses the brainpower to process and make the necessary corrections.

Anyone ever watch the YouTube channel "Rainman Ray"? He's a mechanic that works at a NAPA service center in Florida.

I would totally trust him to work on my vehicle. He's intelligent and has the skills and knowledge to know when a wrong spec is being called for on a vehicle, and possesses the brainpower to process and make the necessary corrections.

Do love Rainman Ray. However, when it comes to engine oil he seems to pick what he fills with by viscosity only and not specification.

I’m still struggling to understand two things:

1. Why you walked out of the shop without reading the invoice.
2. How fluid selection creates torque steer*.

*Torque steer what you said you noticed - and then read the invoice and figured out that something was wrong. Torque steer is a function of driveline geometry. Axle length. That sort of thing. It’s a mechanical property.

I’m still struggling to understand two things:

1. Why you walked out of the shop without reading the invoice.
2. How fluid selection creates torque steer*.

*Torque steer what you said you noticed - and then read the invoice and figured out that something was wrong. Torque steer is a function of driveline geometry. Axle length. That sort of thing. It’s a mechanical property.
I walked out of the shop trusting that they performed said maintenance correctly.

I am noticing torque steer that was non-existent on straight line acceleration before the Transaxle fluid was changed.

My theory is that the clutch slippage is not as much as it used to be before the fluid change because of the more viscous fluid.

I am also noticing that placing my foot on and off the gas is super responsive now. Let off the gas and the vehicle slows much more readily than before the fluid change. Hit the gas and there is instant acceleration.

I believe it is due to much more viscous fluid in the Transaxle causing less clutch slippage.

Just don’t have him do any welding.

Just don’t have him do any welding.
Or sunroof leak repairs! He thought the seal around a sunroof with a gutter system was supposed to keep water out.

It's actually designed to keep wind noise down and allow some water through to allow the gutters to empty the water through the drain system.

He was trying to seal it.

I walked out of the shop trusting that they performed said maintenance correctly.

I am noticing torque steer that was non-existent on straight line acceleration before the Transaxle fluid was changed.

My theory is that the clutch slippage is not as much as it used to be before the fluid change because of the more viscous fluid.

I am also noticing that placing my foot on and off the gas is super responsive now. Let off the gas and the vehicle slows much more readily than before the fluid change. Hit the gas and there is instant acceleration.

I believe it is due to much more viscous fluid in the Transaxle causing less clutch slippage.
Sounds like they also reset the PCM, which causes the transmission logic to reset to the default, and the trans is back to firm engagements rather than easing into it with dirty fluid.

It’s also why after I reset my PCM, I make sure to drive fairly aggressively on acceleration for the first 50 miles or so, so that the fuzzy logic learns I want firm shifts & holding the lower gears, rather than instantly seeking the highest gear for fuel economy.

Makes no sense that a bit higher viscosity fluid would cause torque steer. If this was the case, then any cold weather, these cars would really suck, even with the correct fluid.

I also agree, not the correct fluid. Amsoil calls for the lower vis ATL or OTL

2011? I recommend the OTL

Amsoil OE OTL ATF
I used ATL in my ‘11 Fusion 2.5 with the 6F35 and after the logic reset it shifted like new. Still does, and has about 55k on the fluid at this point since the new owner doesn’t believe in preventive maintenance. 😔

@The_Chemist Firestone put a thin CVT fluid in it.

And the Service Ticket actually showed that?

I am also having trouble with the torque steer theory.

I really can't see how a 1.3 cSt difference in an ATF can create torque steer.

Maybe it is shifting harder/firmer now with the different fluid...making it seem like torque steer.
The shifts fo not appear to be harder.

It's definitely torque steer though. You can feel the steering wheel trying to go left and right. You have to keep it in the lane like it's a Jeep Wrangler!

The shifts fo not appear to be harder.

It's definitely torque steer though. You can feel the steering wheel trying to go left and right. You have to keep it in the lane like it's a Jeep Wrangler!
Did you have a tire rotation or alignment performed during this same visit?

Makes no sense that a bit higher viscosity fluid would cause torque steer. If this was the case, then any cold weather, these cars would really suck, even with the correct fluid.

I also agree, not the correct fluid. Amsoil calls for the lower vis ATL or OTL

2011? I recommend the OTL

Amsoil OE OTL ATF
Agreed, makes no sense. None-the-less, there is torque steer under hard straight line acceleration.

I only noticed torque steer when the vehicle was brand new if I was pulling out aggressively and cornering at the same time. Straight line nothing...

Usually torque steer is caused by u equal length drive shafts from the Transaxle to the wheels. Not sure how the Santa Fe is set up.

Whatever, I need to get the correct fluids in these two compartments.

Did you have a tire rotation or alignment performed during this same visit?
No, the tire rotation and alignment was done at the next visit when I had the oil changed.

I did have new struts and control arms installed at the same time I had spark plugs and all fluids changed. Well, improperly changed. Thank You Firestone!

No, the tire rotation and alignment was done at the next visit when I had the oil changed.

I did have new struts and control arms installed at the same time I had spark plugs and all fluids changed. Well, improperly changed. Thank You Firestone!
Most likely an alignment issue. They probably did an alignment when the struts and control arms were installed. Aftermarket parts tend to cause these issues; perhaps your caster and/or camber are now incorrect (and not adjustable).

Back