Good ADBV filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently moved into an apartment just a couple miles from work and have been bicycling to almost everyday. I went from 250 miles a week to maybe 40. I am planning on switching to synthetic oil and changing annually. The problem is that while I was driving 50 miles a day, the Maxima was quite as could be starting at any temp. Now after sitting for three or four days my chain tensioners are are all bled off and the rattling is horrendous for 2-3 seconds. What filter would you recommend for an annual OC with a silicone ADBV?

Is there a motorcraft which cross references? How about the Fram top of the line filter?

Better yet, keep riding that bike. I miss those days!

Is there really a filter that can prevent 2-3 seconds of chatter after sitting for a few days?

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Is there really a filter that can prevent 2-3 seconds of chatter after sitting for a few days?

I'd say yes if the ADBV seals 100%. Use a filter with a silicone ADBV for best longevity and function.

Sell your car and buy one with the filter beneath the engine.
grin.gif

If your car can take Motorcraft FL400s or 910s, then the Fram 8316 / Wix 1315 parts for Zetec engines will fit. These have an additional "Anti siphon valve" that may help.

Royal Purple 20-400 for a Motorcraft FL 400 will last a year easy and will not go dry.

Try a Fram Ultra. Trial and error is about the only way. The bypass valve is just as important as the adbv for drain down. If yours has the long standpipe the filter goes over, then you probably have no bypass valve so it is the adbv leaking. The other issue is at 310K your oil pump is possibly worn out of spec. I believe these oil pumps are external to the engine, so can be checked easier, but maybe yours is newer. Or maybe I am thinking of the water pump, as it is from memory but I seem to remember the oil pump was outside on the block. I had very bad start up noise on the Maxima using an older filter, probably due to the media just hardens up and goes bad. New filter, no more noise.

What prevents oil in a filter from draining back through the filter inlet and pump clearances to sump? I think any oil filter will drain until oil level reaches the lower edge of the nipple.Probably why Toyota made the filter nipple three times as long as it needs to be.That assures that more oil will stay in the filter.

Originally Posted By: mooferz
If your car can take Motorcraft FL400s or 910s, then the Fram 8316 / Wix 1315 parts for Zetec engines will fit. These have an additional "Anti siphon valve" that may help.

Unfortunately, these are not options - They don't fit. While there is a Motorcraft filter that fits that engine (FL822) it does not have a silicone ADBV, so I'd pass on it since the ADBV is the key factor here.

Based on needing a Silicone ADBV, I'd stick with either a Fram Ultra, or possibly a Bosch. Both of these use steel baseplates, which IMHO provide a tighter seal against the silicone ADBV vs a fiber(cardboard) endcap.

Its hit and miss on oil filters these days i would use the Ultra but i would inspect it very carefully like any oil filter before you install it.
Forget Motorcraft oil filters they are not good these days...

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

I'd say yes if the ADBV seals 100%. Use a filter with a silicone ADBV for best longevity and function.

The start up when cold noise on Nissan V-6 engines is not because of the ADBV in the oil filter leaking, it is because Nissan uses a oil pressure activated cam chain tensioner. It takes a few seconds to build up pressure for the cam chain tensioner.

Originally Posted By: cookieman214
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

The start up when cold noise on Nissan V-6 engines is not because of the ADBV in the oil filter leaking, it is because Nissan uses a oil pressure activated cam chain tensioner. It takes a few seconds to build up pressure for the cam chain tensioner.

True, but if the whole oiling system that feeds those tensioners drains down, then the start-up rattle will be more and longer than if the oil didn't drain down. I had a 2004 Altima with the V6, and it hardly made any startup rattle at all ... maybe 1/2 to 1 second worth.

Quote:
.... I had a 2004 Altima with the V6, and it hardly made any startup rattle at all ... maybe 1/2 to 1 second worth.

Must have gotten rid of that one before the Nissan superior(NOT) designed precats destroyed the engine. Not as prevalent as the 2.5L, but still an issue even with the V6 as noted HERE and elsewhere on the net.

2.5Ls also notorious for start up noise/rattle, had it with mine before precats took out the engine. Many attributed it to cam chain tensioner noise, and it was much worse in winter, colder temps. Lasted far longer than couple/few second, generally had to wait for oil to warm/thin before it went away. Imo, not oil filter/adbv related.
Ghosn Renault alliance brought down Nissan name along with reliability. Watch out Mitsu, next up for the Ghosn/Renault effect.
thumbsdown.gif

As noted for topic, just have to try several different filters preferably with a silicone adbv and see if that helps. In my observation, some engines are just more sensitive to drain back.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Quote:
.... I had a 2004 Altima with the V6, and it hardly made any startup rattle at all ... maybe 1/2 to 1 second worth.

Must have gotten rid of that one before the Nissan superior(NOT) designed precats destroyed the engine. Not as prevalent as the 2.5L, but still an issue even with the V6 as noted HERE and elsewhere on the net.

I did get rid of the 2004 Altima about 1-1/2 years ago, and I did know the "pre-catalytic converter engine destroying issue" could also happen on the V6, but was less likely than with the 4-cyl engines like yours. Mine only had ~63K miles when I got rid of it, so it's probably still alive today. It was a decent car and only gave me a couple of minor problems while I owned it.

Originally Posted By: asand1
I recently moved into an apartment just a couple miles from work and have been bicycling to almost everyday. I went from 250 miles a week to maybe 40. I am planning on switching to synthetic oil and changing annually. The problem is that while I was driving 50 miles a day, the Maxima was quite as could be starting at any temp. Now after sitting for three or four days my chain tensioners are are all bled off and the rattling is horrendous for 2-3 seconds. What filter would you recommend for an annual OC with a silicone ADBV?

An OEM one from your dealer!

If you can't afford the real McCoy, then a Bosch or Mann filter that is made in Germany, or a Mobil 1 filter if it's cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back