Going To The Dark Side

It''s called the "Apple Tax". Been around for years.
iPhones expensive? Not anymore expensive than any other premium built phone, in fact in some/many cases less expensive.
I think some are influenced by the media and forums or maybe never bothered to actually check the price of an iPhone. I dont get it.

One of the best built, premium phones on the market can be bought direct on Apples website for $500.. and go super premium to the latest model for $800.

Im not sure what some are talking about in this thread but look up some premium offerings from Samsung ect ect ..
Im not knocking anyone but just pointing out reality, for me anyway.

I dont consider iPhone expensive at all in $500 to 800 price range.
They are built like tanks, they are supported for multiple generations of updates. top of the line displays and cameras, waterproof, incredible privacy controls including stopping companies and apps from tracking everything you do all day long for profit.

To each their own.

I have an iPhone 12 mini. I've had a few Android phones before it and prefer Android.

However, Android is a Mess. Security updates are dictated by the phone maker and lots of Android phones don't get timely updates or none at all. It isn't like owning a Windows computer that when Microsoft releases a security update, you can update your Acer/HP/Lenovo/Dell....

The cheapest iPhone BLOWS AWAY ANY ANDROID phone CPU and performance wise dollar for dollar.
If I was to replace my phone today, I would get a Google Pixel 6A.
This is why companies with lots of intellectual property at risk want Apple. 2/3 of my Apple devices are company owned - and they’ll cut off services if you don’t stay on top of Apple OS updates …

I currently own a Samsung Galaxy A02S smartphone (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_A02s).
It's not a bad phone, but it's nothing spectacular either.
The only problem is the memory. Currently it has 18.3 GB used out of 32. I'm always having to "clean it out" when it gets to/or over 20 GB. I know l can add an SD card to give it more memory but am not sure what size card to add. That and l'm a NOOB to doing this.
So, my son was telling me that l should buy an iPhone XR phone with 64 GB of storage.
(https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_XR)
I have never owned an iPhone. It's always been Android phones for me. I find Android phones very easy to use.
Has anyone here ever gone to an iPhone not ever using one before, from using an Android? Are iPhone easier/harder to use than an Android?
I have been looking around on the interweb and find that factory refurbished iPhone are about 60% cheaper than new. If l do decide to get an iPhone it would be this route. A few of my friends have factory refurbished iPhone and they really like them. They look brand new as well.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
I switched last October and still haven't got used to it. It just doesn't make sense to me which has helped me reduce dependence on a smart phone dramatically. It's impossible to switch to a dumb phone but it's liberating to not be tied to anything but essential apps.

iPhones expensive? Not anymore expensive than any other premium built phone
Because for dramatic reasons, people only focus on the price of the latest, just-released iPhone. An iPhone 12, iPhone SE (2020 version), even an 11 are absolutely fine, usable, fast, etc. Compare the price of the latest-greatest Samsung and people might be surprised....

"Why are Android phones so expensive ??"
Samsung S22 = $1399
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold = $1919

Because for dramatic reasons, people only focus on the price of the latest, just-released iPhone. An iPhone 12, iPhone SE (2020 version), even an 11 are absolutely fine, usable, fast, etc. Compare the price of the latest-greatest Samsung and people might be surprised....

"Why are Android phones so expensive ??"
Samsung S22 = $1399
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold = $1919
Because they're better than Apple?
WOOHOO! Flame suit on!

FS.jpg

…incredible privacy controls including stopping companies and apps from tracking everything you do all day long for profit.

To each their own.
You keep saying this, but…
Here is a snapshot from the privacy report, it’s good I guess the provide something like this, but so what, I cannot do anything about it.

Do you see who occupies the first three spots? And I use Safari.

C6AF1C42-6363-4751-B060-9DB2163F48BD.jpg

I currently own a Samsung Galaxy A02S smartphone (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_A02s).
The only problem is the memory. Currently it has 18.3 GB used out of 32. I'm always having to "clean it out" when it gets to/or over 20 GB. I know l can add an SD card to give it more memory but am not sure what size card to add. That and l'm a NOOB to doing this.
So, my son was telling me that l should buy an iPhone XR phone with 64 GB of storage.
I have never owned an iPhone. It's always been Android phones for me. I find Android phones very easy to use.
Has anyone here ever gone to an iPhone not ever using one before, from using an Android? Are iPhone easier/harder to use than an Android?
I have been looking around on the interweb and find that factory refurbished iPhone are about 60% cheaper than new. If l do decide to get an iPhone it would be this route. A few of my friends have factory refurbished iPhone and they really like them. They look brand new as well.
If my Mennonite grandmother who never used a computer before can figure out how to use an iPad and iPhone at the age of 90, I don’t think you’ll have any trouble. She was emailing great grandchildren and we all added her to our photo feeds; she figured out how to use emoticons to like, love, laugh at our photos. She would even text us.

P. S. I’d personally go with whatever your family/loved ones are using. You don’t want to be the green bubble in a sea of blue bubbles if you know what I mean.

The website addresses that are listed are trackers that most commercial website use. Even a site BITOG like uses them. As for google.com, Apple may put on a show or front about privacy but when Google writes a big enough check (last year, it was $15 BILLION), Apple lets 'em in the door ! Google is the default Safari search engine, for example. Yes, you can change it, but 99% of people do not.

Like you, I've used nothing but Android phones. (Currently a Motorola Moto G Pure). I will never own an I-Phone. Not because I don't like them, or think Android is somehow, "better". I won't pay that kind of money for a phone. Even refurbished they're still far more than many brand new Android phones.

I look at Android as the "VHS" of cell phones. Widely available, with varying features and price ranges to match your needs. With many makes and models. All in competition with each other, which helps in keeping prices down.

I-Phones are the, "Betamax" of cell phones. They have an almost cult like following. And the people who own them really seem to like them. And many of them won't own anything else. My needs for a cell phone are minimal. It's a "last resort" for me to have to talk on one. So there is absolutely no way I'm going to spend big bucks on one.... That will most likely be obsolete by the time you read this.

Apple's biggest advantage is their custom silicon. And one can get pretty much their best processor in the 3rd gen iPhone SE. It's not the cheapest, but not so expensive that they're out of the reach of people of most incomes.

I thought you were going to use a Purolator oil filter when I read the title

Apple's biggest advantage is their custom silicon. And one can get pretty much their best processor in the 3rd gen iPhone SE. It's not the cheapest, but not so expensive that they're out of the reach of people of most incomes.
The question then becomes, do most people really need, or even want it? As I said, if they can make and receive calls, take and send photos, access the Internet, and text, that covers all the bases for most.

It seems like iPhones receive updates for much longer than Android devices.
This is true, particularly Android phones that aren't google-branded. The Nexus, then Pixel phones, that ran straight non-customized Android received updates for MUCH longer than my Samsung phones and were far more similar to an iPhone in terms of product release cycle support.

Here is a snapshot from the privacy report, it’s good I guess the provide something like this, but so what, I cannot do anything about it.

View attachment 114811
I think you are misunderstanding what it does and what it doesn’t do but I don’t have the time today however if you just open Safari on your iPhone and scroll down to privacy report and click on it you will see a screen like this;

469B3877-0D7F-4C21-AF7A-59D4667F3985.jpeg

View attachment 114811
I just cleared my cookies out today and browser history so this was just after a couple hours if you check it it will be in the hundreds and hundreds after 30 days, Safari prevented 53 trackers from Bob is the oil guy alone
7403E635-CCFB-4EDE-96D1-2DA3604BCA70.jpeg

You can then click on that little button you see trackers and you will end up with pages and pages of trackers is that were prevented from profiling you.
This doesn’t even approach the scale of what major apps like Facebook whom admits it is costing them billions of dollars this year in lost advertising revenue because of Apple‘s privacy controls. It’s all over the Internet and every single financial writeup on Facebook including the CEO of Facebook who told the investors the same thing. This isn’t me talking I’m just relaying information.
Here it is direct from the company itself =

Keep in mind that’s $10 billion just from one company alone out of the whole world. So yes these privacy controls are there more than Android (operating system) out there.

OK I guess I found the time that we better get something done around my house🤪

Last edited:
The question then becomes, do most people really need, or even want it? As I said, if they can make and receive calls, take and send photos, access the Internet, and text, that covers all the bases for most.

I think you would be surprised at the stats. From my personal observation of family and friends that have iPhones, they use them for a lot of things. If a person is just using it for the things you mentioned then they are underutilizing the device.

If a person is just using it for the things you mentioned then they are underutilizing the device.
It's the same with cars. I never use all of the features. I'm not in it long enough to bother. That stuff is is all "underutilized", because most don't have a need for it. Radio, A/C, and heat. That's about it.

I haven't turned on the windshield wipers in a car since I retired almost 8 years ago. Desktop computers are another thing. Most use it for E-Mail, and to access the Internet.... Just like I'm doing now.

It's the same with cars. I never use all of the features. I'm not in it long enough to bother. That stuff is is all "underutilized", because most don't have a need for it. Radio, A/C, and heat. That's about it.

I haven't turned on the windshield wipers in a car since I retired almost 8 years ago. Desktop computers are another thing. Most use it for E-Mail, and to access the Internet.... Just like I'm doing now.

This is what I used my iPhone for today so far;

Alarm wake-up.

Checked weather and news.

Surfed internet.

Took my usual morning walk. The iPhone tracked dozens of movements including steps, miles walked, walking stability, and so forth.

Entered my blood sugar.

Checked traffic on the way to the store.

Used the store app grocery list I made and bought it.

Checked email.

I also do all my banking, investing, track a bunch of other health parameters, message family and friends overseas, and so forth.

This is what I used my iPhone for today so far;

Alarm wake-up.

Checked weather and news.

Surfed internet.

Took my usual morning walk. The iPhone tracked dozens of movements including steps, miles walked, walking stability, and so forth.

Entered my blood sugar.

Checked traffic on the way to the store.

Used the store app grocery list I made and bought it.

Checked email.

I also do all my banking, investing, track a bunch of other health parameters, message family and friends overseas, and so forth.
I wake up when I'm not tired. I check the weather when I look out the window. I turn on the TV and get the news and financial report, while I have coffee and pet the dog.

My blood sugar is whatever it is. Just like the traffic when I go to the store. My wife makes "lists". I buy what I like when I see it. Which is why she never sends me.

But I am typing this on my phone because I just shut down my desktop. And it's a PITA to do it.

Back