Going To The Dark Side

The question then becomes, do most people really need, or even want it? As I said, if they can make and receive calls, take and send photos, access the Internet, and text, that covers all the bases for most.

It's remarkable how complex some web pages are - even if it's just the "mobile" version. Photos require far more processing/GPU power than they used to.

But the really important thing that many people use their mobile devices for is financial transactions, and many require certain amounts of processing power and/or security. I can do most stuff like phone calls, texts, and photos on an older 4G phone, but the support for a banking app may be discontinued based on how old the phone and its operating system is.

It's remarkable how complex some web pages are - even if it's just the "mobile" version. Photos require far more processing/GPU power than they used to.

But the really important thing that many people use their mobile devices for is financial transactions, and many require certain amounts of processing power and/or security. I can do most stuff like phone calls, texts, and photos on an older 4G phone, but the support for a banking app may be discontinued based on how old the phone and its operating system is.

The newer phones utilize better security as well like FaceID or TouchID. You don’t want to keep your finances with a 4 digit passcode or one of those pattern passcodes.

My Android just received an update on August 23rd. I have had this phone for over a year, and it has received 3-4 updates.
Apple maintains iOS feature updates (aka, cool new software features as well as security patches) for a minimum of 5 years post release of the hardware. As of late, they are pushing that our even further. I just checked and the iPhone 6S which was released in September 2015 (7 years ago!) is still eligible for the latest iOS 15.6.1 patch.

So if you only keep you phone for 1-2 years, newly released Androids will serve you well. But if you want to save money over the long run, go with a modern IPhone.

To each his own then. You asked the question and I replied but then you are the one getting curmudgeon about it.
All I'm trying to tell you is there are a very large majority of people out there, who have zero need for phones that require that much processing ability, information storage, security updates, and everything else.

They don't do anything involving financial transactions with a phone to need it. Or a phone that is packed with expensive high speed chips and processing power, along with 24,000 apps to require it. Because it's simply a waste of money for them.

Again, all they do, or want to do, is to be able to make and receive calls, access the Internet on occasion, and perhaps take a picture or two once in a while when it's necessary.

That's it. So why should they pay into 4 digits for a phone, or else purchase a rebuilt one for several times more than they can buy a brand new model that suits their needs and requirements for hundreds less?

That flip phone that was posted as a joke, is a perfect tool for hundreds of thousands of people who only require something like that. Which is why they still sell them. What would be a joke is wasting far more money on something they'll never need or use. For many people simpler is better.... And cheaper.

Besides, when you have people wrecking their vehicles and getting killed on a daily basis, walking out into the street, and falling into fountains in shopping malls, with their heads buried in these things, it's a safe statement to make that perhaps these things have taken over our lives to the point of ridiculousness.

For many years we were a divided house. My wife the teacher was an Apple girl mainly because that's what they used at school while I took the cheaper PC/Android route. It worked out fine but over the years I noticed that I had to buy replacement laptops and smart phones much more often than my wife did. I also had issues with viruses on my laptop while my wife did not.

So last year I decided to make the switch and bought a MacBook Air and an iPhone SE. The transition has not been completely painless but it has been easier than I thought and I like the seamless way that Apple stuff works. I'm a mouse guy and one huge thing for me was getting an Apple mouse and setting it up with right click function.

I still have an ancient Kindle tablet that I plan to replace soon with an iPad and then my transformation will be complete.

Why are they so dang expensive?
One of the main reasons is profitability. They make a good product, and price it sky high for what they have put into it. Apple has become the first trillion dollar company for a good reason. They turn a HUGE profit margin on every phone they sell.

And people literally line up to buy each and every new model they produce. (Usually with a big party that attracts lots of fanfare and publicity). Again, because they have a high degree of customer satisfaction, and they also attract a large portion of the consumer public, who have become almost cult like in their devotion to their product.

It's much like Glock in the firearms world. The profit margin on every one of their guns is astronomical from a percentage standpoint. And their product is all but worshipped by a large portion of the customer base they have managed to carve out for themselves.

They injection mold the frames in seconds, and have only 34 parts in the entire weapon, the bulk of which are stamped. And all of them are produced using the most modern high speed manufacturing methods available. It's one of the main reasons why many firearms companies like Remington went belly up, while Glock is enjoying slightly better times financially.

dSXx0tB.jpg

I still have every cell phone I have ever owned.
In pics 1-3 is my very first cell phone from VERIZON. I think I went cell only in 1996. And that's real leather on the phone.
The 4th pic is my RAZOR that replaced my 1st VERIZON PHONE.
The rest of my phones are in a box in my closet. I had these out trying help a neighbor out to see if she could use one.

Attachments

• V1.jpg
    V1.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 3
  • V2.jpg
    V2.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 3
  • V3.jpg
    V3.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 3
  • RAZOR.jpg
    RAZOR.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 3
One of the main reasons is profitability. They make a good product, and price it sky high for what they have put into it. Apple has become the first trillion dollar company for a good reason. They turn a HUGE profit margin on every phone they sell.

And people literally line up to buy each and every new model they produce. (Usually with a big party that attracts lots of fanfare and publicity). Again, because they have a high degree of customer satisfaction, and they also attract a large portion of the consumer public, who have become almost cult like in their devotion to their product.

They are using those profits for research into new ideas. One that I read about recently would allow those who are vision impaired to use their iPhone to walk around without fear of running into things. Their Health division is coming up with ideas all the time.

When I go for my walk I insert my hearing device and then use the iPhone to set it to outdoors so I can hear traffic etc. It’s a huge safety factor besides the fact I can hear conversations in a spatial form.

Around a year ago my iPhone alerted me that my walking pattern was not good and I was in danger of falling. Apple provided videos that displayed exercises I could do to help improve stability. Since then my pattern has improved back to normal. That is something I would have never been aware of until the fall occurred. Falls in older people are a big cause of hospitalization.

The possibilities are endless.

I think you are misunderstanding what it does and what it doesn’t do but I don’t have the time today however if you just open Safari on your iPhone and scroll down to privacy report and click on it you will see a screen like this;

I was mainly talking about my iPhone, but what you showed me was available in browsers like Firefox, opera etc. for years now. I’m surprised you just discovered these thing with Safari.

What I showed you was how much google analytics and data gathering domains are being contacted by my iPhone. You always claim how google is selling your data to the highest bidder and that’s why you went apple, but that is simply not true. Google still collects lots of data from your apple devices.

I currently own a Samsung Galaxy A02S smartphone (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_A02s).
It's not a bad phone, but it's nothing spectacular either.
The only problem is the memory. Currently it has 18.3 GB used out of 32. I'm always having to "clean it out" when it gets to/or over 20 GB. I know l can add an SD card to give it more memory but am not sure what size card to add. That and l'm a NOOB to doing this.
So, my son was telling me that l should buy an iPhone XR phone with 64 GB of storage.
(https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_XR)
I have never owned an iPhone. It's always been Android phones for me. I find Android phones very easy to use.
Has anyone here ever gone to an iPhone not ever using one before, from using an Android? Are iPhone easier/harder to use than an Android?
I have been looking around on the interweb and find that factory refurbished iPhone are about 60% cheaper than new. If l do decide to get an iPhone it would be this route. A few of my friends have factory refurbished iPhone and they really like them. They look brand new as well.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Yes- I went from Samsung to iPhone. No bloatware. And long term updates. Happy

I just glanced at my privacy report on the iPhone. GoogleTagManager was the biggest offender but Safari blocked it every time.

Back