Going To The Dark Side

I currently own a Samsung Galaxy A02S smartphone (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_A02s).
It's not a bad phone, but it's nothing spectacular either.
The only problem is the memory. Currently it has 18.3 GB used out of 32. I'm always having to "clean it out" when it gets to/or over 20 GB. I know l can add an SD card to give it more memory but am not sure what size card to add. That and l'm a NOOB to doing this.
So, my son was telling me that l should buy an iPhone XR phone with 64 GB of storage.
(https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_XR)
I have never owned an iPhone. It's always been Android phones for me. I find Android phones very easy to use.
Has anyone here ever gone to an iPhone not ever using one before, from using an Android? Are iPhone easier/harder to use than an Android?
I have been looking around on the interweb and find that factory refurbished iPhone are about 60% cheaper than new. If l do decide to get an iPhone it would be this route. A few of my friends have factory refurbished iPhone and they really like them. They look brand new as well.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Like you, I've used nothing but Android phones. (Currently a Motorola Moto G Pure). I will never own an I-Phone. Not because I don't like them, or think Android is somehow, "better". I won't pay that kind of money for a phone. Even refurbished they're still far more than many brand new Android phones.

I look at Android as the "VHS" of cell phones. Widely available, with varying features and price ranges to match your needs. With many makes and models. All in competition with each other, which helps in keeping prices down.

I-Phones are the, "Betamax" of cell phones. They have an almost cult like following. And the people who own them really seem to like them. And many of them won't own anything else. My needs for a cell phone are minimal. It's a "last resort" for me to have to talk on one. So there is absolutely no way I'm going to spend big bucks on one.... That will most likely be obsolete by the time you read this.

We can’t use android at work (less secure) - so I do all Apple … I don’t find them hard to use …
(2 phones + iPad) …

Can someone explain to me in the easiest way on which SD card I can add to my current 32 GB A02S phone to give it more memory?
microSD card. The SIM card tray contains a cutout to hold the microSD card.

I went from “I’ll never own an iPhone!” to using them exclusively after 1 Galaxy s2 skyrocket and 2 HTC One phones failed in ridiculous ways (I’m still mad about the HTC, that was an amazing phone except it kept blowing out speakers!). I’m fairly tech savvy though so the transition was easy, it’s not hard just a bit different.

Same boat as repairman54 - Personal Phone is Android, Work phone is IPhone. The work phone has to be that due to a few apps we use that are Iphone specific. And as was stated, they both work - mostly comes down to personal preference.

What I hear is the issue with your phone is memory. Not that you dislike the phone, or the operating system. You can drop in a MicroSD card easy and cheap. Literally google A02S Micro SD Card, and lots of info will come up - pretty cheap and very easy to do.

I currently own a Samsung Galaxy A02S smartphone (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_A02s).
It's not a bad phone, but it's nothing spectacular either.
The only problem is the memory. Currently it has 18.3 GB used out of 32. I'm always having to "clean it out" when it gets to/or over 20 GB. I know l can add an SD card to give it more memory but am not sure what size card to add. That and l'm a NOOB to doing this.
So, my son was telling me that l should buy an iPhone XR phone with 64 GB of storage.
(https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_XR)
I have never owned an iPhone. It's always been Android phones for me. I find Android phones very easy to use.
Has anyone here ever gone to an iPhone not ever using one before, from using an Android? Are iPhone easier/harder to use than an Android?
I have been looking around on the interweb and find that factory refurbished iPhone are about 60% cheaper than new. If l do decide to get an iPhone it would be this route. A few of my friends have factory refurbished iPhone and they really like them. They look brand new as well.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
I did that a few years back and never regretted, but I also ditched PC in favour of iMac & MacBook, the move was very easy, but my Samsung's battery's life was better.

Going back 7 years or so I used to hate my work provided iPhone and Verizon service (I cant remember the model but old enough the screen was small. (maybe a iPhone 4?) I hated it.
I always preferred my personal android phone and keep in mind, 5 days a week up to 12 hours a day I had both phones on me all the time so feel more then qualified to say this, I much preferred the (at the time) large screens on the Android phones but I think that was the only reason I liked them so much. My phone from my company after the iPhone 4 that was a huge Motorola maybe Samsung (I think) with huge battery, loved it.

Anyway forward to just a few years back, no longer have a work provided phone and no longer in the industry, took the jump to an Iphone XR for my personal phone, LOVED it. You will take some time to get used to the operating system as you were using a different system for a long time.
Anyway, liked it so much, following year bought my wife an iPhone 11, again, for her after some frustration of learning the new system she loved it. Since then we now have 2 Mac desktops and a MacBook Air (love them) plus the 2 iPhones.

Since then, I recently upgraded my XR to a iPhone 13, and ultimately also my wife got one on a deal from TMobile, they took our two old phones and gave us iPhone 13s on a special deal that doesnt exist anymore for 55+ magenta plan.

I say go for it! Honestly I think the XR is a great phone, it was the longest I ever used the same phone which is amazing for me, 2.5 years and I have been using cell phones for around just over 2 decades (gulp), its stealthy does everything you need it to do. Going up the ladder to the 11 you get a slightly better camera with superior night photos but keep in mind the camera on the XR is better then anything else in the price range. SO dont take my comment the wrong way, other than that, the operating system is the same no matter which model you get, including updates, so I say go for it.

A mobile phone is a tool. Both can do the job just fine, they just might get there slightly differently, but anyone can learn. I can use either without hesitation.

Can someone explain to me in the easiest way on which SD card I can add to my current 32 GB A02S phone to give it more memory?
That will only help a little bit. Android does not handle extended storage well. Only a few chosen apps can be moved to external storage to begin with. Same with Fire TV if you ever tried that.
Anyway, it would be hard to find a new "flagship" Android phone these days without less than 128 GB of storage. My S10, which is going on 4 years old, has 128 and I have never had any storage limitations. 256 gb is getting pretty common too, but a little pricey.

I do use external memory for things like pictures and documents, as well as a few apps, so that helps.
It really doesn't pay to buy TOO BIG of a memory card for an android phone. It DOES help to buy one that is REALLY fast.

My S10 is still fast and has a great screen brightness. Battery is starting to show a little weakness, but I can still get 24 hours of use out of it.

Anyway, as far as the HOW TO, just make sure your phone has a memory slot first, if so, buy a card, then you just stick it in! Simple. You'll be prompted to format the card, then can start moving things onto it.

Last edited:
Motorola G Power. Great phone big battery lasts 3 days and take great pix and video. Wife had an iPhone and got her back to a G power also. They just work.
And there are custom ROMs (read:degoogled) available. I'm running Havoc OS on my G Power (sophia) and the battery life is even better than OEM with it's bloat and google nonsense.

Back