Going To The Dark Side

I currently own a Samsung Galaxy A02S smartphone (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_A02s).
It's not a bad phone, but it's nothing spectacular either.
The only problem is the memory. Currently it has 18.3 GB used out of 32. I'm always having to "clean it out" when it gets to/or over 20 GB. I know l can add an SD card to give it more memory but am not sure what size card to add. That and l'm a NOOB to doing this.
So, my son was telling me that l should buy an iPhone XR phone with 64 GB of storage.
(https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_XR)
I have never owned an iPhone. It's always been Android phones for me. I find Android phones very easy to use.
Has anyone here ever gone to an iPhone not ever using one before, from using an Android? Are iPhone easier/harder to use than an Android?
I have been looking around on the interweb and find that factory refurbished iPhone are about 60% cheaper than new. If l do decide to get an iPhone it would be this route. A few of my friends have factory refurbished iPhone and they really like them. They look brand new as well.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Or another 'droid with 128gB of storage or cloud storage or .......

I have an iPhone 12 mini. I've had a few Android phones before it and prefer Android.

However, Android is a Mess. Security updates are dictated by the phone maker and lots of Android phones don't get timely updates or none at all. It isn't like owning a Windows computer that when Microsoft releases a security update, you can update your Acer/HP/Lenovo/Dell....

The cheapest iPhone BLOWS AWAY ANY ANDROID phone CPU and performance wise dollar for dollar.
If I was to replace my phone today, I would get a Google Pixel 6A.

If you want to keep your existing phone, do some serious house-cleaning. Remove apps. If I don't use an app on a monthly basis, it doesn't stay on my phone. All of my photos are sync'd to Google Photos (cloud) so every couple of months, after confirming my photos are backed up there (it does this in the background), I delete them from my phone. I have 1.2gb of photos on my phone currently. Today, with modern phones, I don't think that's very much.

32gb certainly isn't much nowadays though. That's one downside of Android devices, even when they're from Samsung, they make "cheap" devices. Of course, that's good and bad. Good because it keeps the cost of them low but bad because they may use minimum RAM, minimum storage, slower CPUs, and so on. If you add a microSD card, is it simple to make different apps use it ? If you have to manually move things to it constantly, most people won't do it and they'll just give up.

However, Android is a Mess. Security updates are dictated by the phone maker and lots of Android phones don't get timely updates or none at all.
If I were to switch back to Android, I'd only go to a Google Pixel device because of ^^ that ^^.

Man, you fine members came through with a plethora of useful information! Thank You very much.
I was talking to my son a while ago when he went on break. He told me that he installed a 32 GB SD card in my phone when I first bought it. He said I probably just forgot (which I did). Now that I know it's in there, I have to figure out how to use it.
:unsure:🤷‍♂️🙃

I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max, my first ever iPhone, although wife had iPhones since iPhone 4, but having one everyday is different than helping her out with hers.

In short I’m not impressed. It does some things great, not so much for others, Androids are the same, but I find are easier to live with. Certain apple stuff is frustrating, like no Bluetooth transfers. They want you to invest in their whole ecosystem. It’s challenging otherwise.

The supposed better privacy, which was the main factor in my decision to go to iOS, is not all that better, I find. I get YouTube adds for stuff I searched in Safari. Never got that with Android after switching all tracking options off, and I made sure I have all of that stuff off on my iPhone as well.

It’s not even 2 years old and my battery is at 86% and the faster drain time is very noticeable. I don’t believe that 86% number, it’s probably closer to 80%.

The grass is not greener on the other side, not for me at least.

Last edited:
I currently own a Samsung Galaxy A02S smartphone (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_A02s).
The only problem is the memory. Currently it has 18.3 GB used out of 32. I'm always having to "clean it out" when it gets to/or over 20 GB. I know l can add an SD card to give it more memory but am not sure what size card to add. That and l'm a NOOB to doing this.
So, my son was telling me that l should buy an iPhone XR phone with 64 GB of storage.
I have never owned an iPhone. It's always been Android phones for me. I find Android phones very easy to use.
Has anyone here ever gone to an iPhone not ever using one before, from using an Android? Are iPhone easier/harder to use than an Android?
I have been looking around on the interweb and find that factory refurbished iPhone are about 60% cheaper than new. If l do decide to get an iPhone it would be this route. A few of my friends have factory refurbished iPhone and they really like them. They look brand new as well.
I have that same Phone as my first Android. Got it for like 35 bucks when cricket shut off 2G. I know what you mean nothing special.
The camera software really is bad, the sound is only fair form the headphone jack compared to my cheap Microsoft windows phone. But its the cheapest thing Samsung makes, I got a case but it is too hard to use/ press the buttons on the side.

You can easily add storage but 8 gig is a lot of remaining memory for "Adult Use".

Press and hold on all those junk apps you don't use and delete them. Keep the Wooduku :) Easy to add a miico SD. Just get a small one - probably only get find 32G these days. there is a little tray that pops out on the side using an ejector "hat pin" they gave you with the phone. Look in the box There are videos online to walk you through or lrt you kid do it for you.
Remember The A02S phone has a permanently sealed case and permanent battery.

My wife has a upscale but not super expensive LG Stylo phone she likes that seems better built than the base samsung,
Kids at work recommend the Motorola - but they are always breaking.

And there are custom ROMs (read:degoogled) available. I'm running Havoc OS on my G Power (sophia) and the battery life is even better than OEM with it's bloat and google nonsense.
This...

I dropped iOS and been running a de-googled Pixel 4 for a couple years now. Great camera, no issues, and I never imagined how much I'd like NOT being tethered to the Cloud.

It's a great solution, but a little exotic for some who only want the cookie cutter same same thing everyone else has.

Oh, I had a service install my custom ROM too so there is that if you're not too tech savvy.

If your talk-text-data needs are much less than frequent...get an Android, especially if cost is a concern. If your needs are higher get an Apple, 'nuff said.

Why are they so dang expensive?

If you use it as a phone only then it’s expensive. You can get refurbished iPhones from Apple.

If you use the iPhone’s full potential then it’s not expensive. You can also trade in your iPhone for a newer model if and when you decide to. Apple has a calculator on their site that gives you the approximate trade in value.

How do you get the latest security updates on a 10 year old iPhone? The iPhone 5, released in 2012 can run nothing newer than iOS 10.
I am sorry 5s it is used for Spotify , iMessage, and FaceTime . Works really well. Apple seems to still keep patching iOS 12.5.5. Not sure as of late but my 9 year old does not mind .

Android OS seems to know they are disposable and updates seem to not reach back as far.

The new Samsung A53 has been good so far. The updates for versions releases are for 4 years. Security updates for at least 5 years. I get frequent security updates that are painless and quick to install. Never more than 5-7 minutes. Android Auto works very good with this phone. Connects within 30 seconds. My lady friend has a older Apple 6 i-phone. Nice phone with a small screen and it is a battery hog. Never lasts all day. Probably as heavy as my phone which is 2" larger. I keep informing her that closing apps will increase battery life. Been tempted to go Apple but I am comfortable with my phone and can operate it without my glasses.

If you use the iPhone’s full potential then it’s not expensive.
It would be interesting to know what percentage of people who own them, actually do use them to anywhere near their full potential? I'll bet it's an extremely small amount. Phone calls, camera, Internet, and texting are what 90% do with them.

Much like these calculators today, people purchase them that have the ability to do 100 times more than they require. The difference is they are dirt cheap... I-Phones aren't.

It would be interesting to know what percentage of people who own them, actually do use them to anywhere near their full potential? I'll bet it's an extremely small amount. Phone calls, camera, Internet, and texting are what 90% do with them.

Much like these calculators today, people purchase them that have the ability to do 100 times more than they require. The difference is they are dirt cheap... I-Phones aren't.
One could argue $130 for a calculator with a monochrome non backlit display, 24KB RAM, 160KB ROM, and a CPU that was introduced in 1976 is not dirt cheap. Apple can at least justify it by using a CPU from the 21st century lol

One could argue $130 for a calculator with a monochrome non backlit display, 24KB RAM, 160KB ROM, and a CPU that was introduced in 1976 is not dirt cheap. Apple can at least justify it by using a CPU from the 21st century lol
You can buy a calculator today for $20.00, that will do 100 times more than what 90% of the people who buy it require.

Back