GC oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone please explain what makes GC 0w30 such a good oil for a 98 acura integra i have used the castrol edge and my car seemed to burn about a half a quart of it needless to say i did not like it

Originally Posted By: rjnagler
Can someone please explain what makes GC 0w30 such a good oil for a 98 acura integra i have used the castrol edge and my car seemed to burn about a half a quart of it needless to say i did not like it

It's a great oil in general because it's so versatile. It'll take a lot of abuse and run a long time between changes, but it's not too thick.

Half a quart of oil consumption in how many miles? It's probably nothing to worry about...

Originally Posted By: rjnagler
i have used the castrol edge and my car seemed to burn about a half a quart of it needless to say i did not like it

Half a quart in how many miles?

GC is not a cure for oil consumption. If your engine burns oil, it'll burn GC, too.

I'm with QP on that. It is a great oil -- but not incineration proof. Now, if the consumption is tracking with viscosity, GC happens to be on the thick end of the 30 range. Of course, by that reasoning, any thick 30 ought to do well.

but the cause of your engine burning oil could be quite a few:

Have you checked the radiator coolant level, is it time for you to replace air filter, spark plugs & wires, rotor & distributor cap (i believe you have this in ur car), have you done complete fuel system treatment/cleaner

GC is an amazing choice, as mentioned above by fellow members, which I too would recommend it to you...but if you are looking for alternatives to GC you should look for Mobil 1 High Mileage and/or Valvoline MaxLife

hope this helps...and I love Acura's

thank you guys for your response it could be due to some things as was startd it just be that i was using a second class filter such as fram. I dont know cuz im new to this all and am really trying to learn the most that I can.

Ive tested different synthetics and using mobil 1 0w40 mobil 1 filter, seems to be holding up just fine even though its only been 300 hundred miles since last change.

thee castrol could have just burnd up due to it being the first synthetic used in my car with a 123000 miles i dont know. but i do know that i wont be using it ever again especially not at 26.00 dollars for 5 q. i hear so much good about m 1 and it seems to be true. I change my own oil so I save alot and can freely experiment.

and for anyone that cares toyota, hondas, and acuras are my favorites... love the smell of burnt rice....

Again, half a quart in how many miles?

Our Jetta seems to burn through half a quart in 2000 miles, regardless what I put in her.

about 700 miles short i know but i hated the way my car ran seemed to be loud and louder when downshifting which coild have caused oil to burn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back