GC 0w30, 5000 miles, 2000 Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
This is from my wife's car, I also changed her oil this weekend and also dropped off this sample at Wearcheck this morning! They rock! Turnaround time of only 8 hours!

Here are the results

5000 miles on oil
Apr 18-Oct 10 (6 months)
57,000 miles on engine
German Castrol Syntec 0w30
K&N oil filter
Fram air filter
Mostly city driving
4L oil capacity
No top up oil

Iron 8
Lead 2
Aluminum 2
Copper 1
Chromium 0
Nickel 0
Titanium 0
Tin 0
Silver 0
Silicon 4
Potassium 0
Sodium 0
Boron 2
Barium 0
Vanadium 0
Manganese 23
Calcium 2805
Magnesium 129
Moly 2
Phosphorus 771
Zinc 874
Sulfur 2642
Oxidation 65%
Nitration 50%
Sulfation 45%
Fuel 0
Water 0
Glycol 0
Viscosity 11.4 cst at 100c
TBN 6.38

[ October 12, 2004, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Two great UOA's of GC in one day. Patman YOU rock!
grin.gif

Are you considering running longer OCI's in this car?

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:
grin.gif

I'm probably going to start going with 6k intervals for a while, and then eventually I might just go with one oil change per year, which would be about 10-11k.

quote:

Originally posted by SSDude:
Patman,

This is a great UOA. The oil could have stayed in the car for a year.

To be honest, even though I know the oil could last a year, I don't think I could, I'd be chomping at the bit waiting to see my UOA results for so long!
smile.gif
I am definitely doing one year intervals with GC in my mom's 2001 VW Golf though.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by SSDude:
Patman,

This is a great UOA. The oil could have stayed in the car for a year.

To be honest, even though I know the oil could last a year, I don't think I could, I'd be chomping at the bit waiting to see my UOA results for so long!
smile.gif
I am definitely doing one year intervals with GC in my mom's 2001 VW Golf though.

Hahahahaha..I knew that you need the oil chang and UOA fix
grin.gif
grin.gif
There is no way in a million years you will go 1 year.
grin.gif

I now have my Redline in for 6K miles and I really want to change..but I'm gonna restrain myself.
smile.gif

Pretty amazing 2 UOA's for the GC
smile.gif

Patman,

Did you notice any drop in gas MPG when using GC (I know GC is a thick 30) in your wife's car?? My wife also has a Civic Ex and I did not notice any drop in MPG when using 15w50 Mobil 1....compaired to 5w30 Mobil 1. I compaired her Honda's gas mileage on a 1500 mile round trip to North Carolina, and it got the same mileage with 15w50 as it did with 5w30 M1.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by LT4 Vette:
Patman,

Did you notice any drop in gas MPG when using GC (I know GC is a thick 30) in your wife's car??

Nope, no drop in MPG at all. I've been keeping MPG records on this car from day one and it gets the same MPG now as it did with Mobil 1 5w30 and Royal Purple 5w30.

Is it wrong for the SLX-meister to cry over these beautiful reports? If so, I'll just keep it to myself. Pat, CONGRATS on two great reports. Now if we could just get the elves to quit dropping their iron pills in the brew when they are blending (their hemoglobin is low; constantly being at the blending machine ruins their dietary habits)

quote:

Originally posted by dropitby:
Another great Honda report. How much LC did you put in during this run.
confused.gif

None, I don't use LC in either of my vehicles.

The only thing added to this Honda was one bottle of Neutra in the fuel during the entire interval.

I've been thinking about this for the last few hours, and I think I'll probably start easing up into much longer intervals with this car now. I think I'll do the next one in 8 months instead of the usual 6, and then the following one will be 10 months. If the reports still look good, then I'll go to one year intervals.

This GC stuff seems too good to be true!
I'm trying it out and may just have to switch to it entirely in place of Mobil-1 and Redline.
But one thought that bothers me is, what do we do when (if) they stop importing it? You know it's gonna happen!
frown.gif

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:
grin.gif

I'm probably going to start going with 6k intervals for a while, and then eventually I might just go with one oil change per year, which would be about 10-11k.

Patman, where are you getting the German Castrol in Canada?

How do you know it is the German variety?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Although I'm not Patman, I can answer. Up here in Ottawa Ontario, the German Castrol 0w30 can be distinguished from the others as it says "Made in Germany", "Formulated for European Vehicles", and has the ACEA A3/B3/B4 designation on the back panel.

Regards,
ajwan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found the GC in my local Walmart and Canadian Tire on Bank Street South.

ajwan

Yep, both Walmart and Canadian Tire have it up here. It's around $7 per liter in both places.

Patman, what oil did you use in this car previously? I'm curious if the thicker grade of GC affected throttle response or make the car not-so rev-happy as compared to thinner 30wt oils, such as M1?

Lastly, I'll bet you 1 qt of GC that you can't go to 1 year intervals on this car like you were thinking. You won't be able to resist the temptation to change it that infrequently!
smile.gif
I know I can't...
smile.gif

This car ran on Mobil 1 5w30 for the first few years we had it, then I did two intervals with Royal Purple 5w30. When I switched it to GC, I did not notice the engine seeming any less powerful, nor did the MPG go down.

I know it will be a struggle, but eventually I will probably do one year oil changes, especially if I need to start rationing my GC supply when it's cut off!
frown.gif

quote:

especially if I need to start rationing my GC supply when it's cut off!
frown.gif

Now, now, Pat...positive thinking...repeat after me...it WILL last forever...it WILL last forever...it WILL last forever...unless, of course, our board members say unkind things about the elves...they are SOOOOOO sensitive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back