Gave Up On Valvoline - Havoline?

Please tell me none of the patriots in this thread own a Jeep, Dodge, Ram, or buy Mopar parts. I read all the time about "buying American" because someone bought a Ram or a Dodge. In a global economy where products are still produced locally does it really matter where profits go when US companies pay little tax anyway?
I'd have a pretty hard time buying anything that isn't Bryston or Bombardier if I was looking to be patriotic and only buy Canadian, lol. My criteria, which is the same as @JHZR2's is that I try to buy first world wherever possible. So whether that's French, American, Italian, British, German, Japanese...etc, doesn't matter much to me. I support people having to pay for the same standard of living I enjoy.

For consumable items like meat? I definitely try and buy that locally.

I'd have a pretty hard time buying anything that isn't Bryston or Bombardier if I was looking to be patriotic and only buy Canadian, lol. My criteria, which is the same as @JHZR2's is that I try to buy first world wherever possible. So whether that's French, American, Italian, British, German, Japanese...etc, doesn't matter much to me. I support people having to pay for the same standard of living I enjoy.

For consumable items like meat? I definitely try and buy that locally.
I'm just pointing out that the part we really care about, employment and local jobs, are kept intact by many of these foreign-owned now former US companies. Does it matter Valvoline is foreign-owned if all of Valvoline's production, R&D, and jobs remain in the US?

I'm just pointing out that the part we really care about, employment and local jobs, are kept intact by many of these foreign-owned now former US companies. Does it matter Valvoline is foreign-owned if all of Valvoline's production, R&D, and jobs remain in the US?
I agree. Unless they start offshoring production to SA, while the sale may be unpopular, its impact will be essentially zero, just maintaining the status quo.

Price is a very good reason people are moving away from Valvoline.
I did as well; I can get Penn Plat for under C$24 for a 5L jug after tax (12% here), which makes it about US$18 for 5.28 quarts. I cannot get Valvoline synth oil anywhere close to that price even on sale at WM.
FYI, for people who don't know ... Valvoline is giving a $5 rebate on 5 qt jugs (any flavor), up to 6 jugs for a total of $30 back ... even if all 6 are bought on the same receipt. The rebate can be done on-line in a matter of minutes.

I look at it as one of those things no one can control. We can't force companies to stop using foreign or global resources. Even if you walk into a store and buy a product that's completely 100% foreign made and manufactured, you're still providing that American with employment and supporting the store that's in American by purchasing from them.

It's honestly fighting a losing battle. The economy will be global until humanity comes to an end.

For those ditching Valvoline, You are very likely abandoning American Workers. Keeping Stateside workers employed and well compensated should be you primary concern. The ownership and CFO, CEO - wherever they live - Foreign or Domestic or both - are usually all stinky rich guys and gals that have nothing to do with the Middle class other than to employ them.
As long as they keep the Status Quo or improve things stateside, I would not engage your girlish touchy-feely side to bad effect.

Doesn't Japan limit foreign investors to 50% stake in any Japanese based company?

I look at it as one of those things no one can control. We can't force companies to stop using foreign or global resources. Even if you walk into a store and buy a product that's completely 100% foreign made and manufactured, you're still providing that American with employment and supporting the store that's in American by purchasing from them.

It's honestly fighting a losing battle. The economy will be global until humanity comes to an end.
Just frustrating is all.

I don't see anything frustrating about it - just people's refusal to accept that being a global economy is a necessity in the modern world.
I'm just a stick in the mud type that prefers 'Murican companies to be owned by 'Muricans...

1662134098122.jpg

This thread is mainly about sentiment. People have their favorite brands. A brand like Valvoline goes way back. A lot of people here stick with brand because that is what their father used and his father before him. Suddenly it all changes. The brand has the appearance that it’s not the same, real or not. We have seen many brands change after ownership changes.

If next week it’s announced that Sinopec will purchase ExxonMobil you would see a massive thread on here along with the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Valvoline oil was used in WW2. Valvoline and Quaker State were the oils my grandfather used. It is an American icon no doubt.

Then again, maybe Valvoline sees that electric vehicles will overtake IC in the near future and now is time to sell at the top. Electric vehicles wont be needing motor oil.

We have been de-globalizing for years for economic reasons, not political ones, and its sped up in the last couple of years due to pandemic caused supply chain issues.

Huge companies like Intel for example are spending $20B to build a semiconductor plant in Ohio. Labor rates in China 30 years ago were so cheap we off-shored labor intensive activities there. Labor rates in China have increased 18X in 30 years. Factory labor rates in Mexico are actually cheaper than China now, and its a lot closer to home.

Walmart even assembles there cheap bicycles in South Carolina now - but they do still use Chinese parts to keep the cost down. They used to assemble them in China, box them, and ship to the US. Now they ship containers of parts to South Carolina and let American workers assemble them.

So no, its not a loosing battle at all, but it will be a long, drawn out, battle.

Back