Gave Up On Valvoline - Havoline?

If you want American oil from a big name, you can't get much more American than ExxonMobil, headquartered in Texas, massively vertically integrated and produce a significant portion of their own components.

If you are willing to spend a bit more, @High Performance Lubricants is a board sponsor and based out of Illinois. They will ship directly to your door. AMSOIL is another option, and their OE and XL oils are reasonably priced.

since I bought this car in...march of '19... all the OC's have been from 2 different shops. One exclusively uses Havoline synthetic and Napa Filters, the other is my local VOIC with Max life Synthetic. (If i have a Groupon...the other shop is quite a bit farther away)
the engine is definitely quieter/feels a bit smoother on Valvoline than Havoilne.
now with the sale, I'm considering switching from VOIC to Walmart for my local changes. (according to the signage at the local store, they've switched from QS to Castrol)

years back (01-02?) after I bought my 2000 Hyundai, I had someone get in my face about not buying American, and all the profits going back to Korea, etc.

I didn't waste my breath arguing with him, but, in my case at least, I bought it Used, From a Local Dealer, and Financed it through a Local Bank. my $$ Stayed in town.
You should’ve taken him on a tour at a dealership’s parts department that makes his fave brand, and shown him all the foreign parts his “American made” car is made of:D

I always buy my next oil change as soon as I do one just to have it on hand. My 07 Expedition got Valvoline and a Fram last change. When I went to rebuy the oil and filter, Valvoline had gone up in price so my next change is Havoline 5w30 in the 6 qt box. My vehicle takes 7 qts. so I got 2 6qt boxes and a fram filter for $45. Thats enough to do my Expedition and my old farm truck. Pretty hard to bet the pricing on Havoline.

Price is a very good reason people are moving away from Valvoline.
I did as well; I can get Penn Plat for under C$24 for a 5L jug after tax (12% here), which makes it about US$18 for 5.28 quarts. I cannot get Valvoline synth oil anywhere close to that price even on sale at WM.

Bingo. If you buy a Volvo S60, is your money going to the Chinese parent company or the plant in SC that produces the car? If you buy a Ram 2500, is the money going to Dearborn or to Mexico where it's actually made?

I'm all about shopping local and buying American. But the waters can get muddied real quick.
Me too. But I find it impossible to keep up with what is domestic made anymore. I certainly would not attack a person for what they purchase with their own money.

Everything is sourced out. All of the "Made in USA" products are made from foreign materials sourced around the globe, so when you buy "American", your dollars still fund foreign entities.
Not saying they don't lie about it - but "significant parts, processing and labor that go into the product must be of U.S. origin." Its actually federal law but as I said, who enforces it I don't know - likely no one.

So if the profits go elsewhere I don't much care, so long as its made by American workers when possible.

Made in South Carolina is even better :)

Not saying they don't lie about it - but "significant parts, processing and labor that go into the product must be of U.S. origin." Its actually federal law but as I said, who enforces it I don't know - likely no one.

So if the profits go elsewhere I don't much care, so long as its made by American workers when possible.

Made in South Carolina is even better :)
Being the subject is motor oil - Mobil 1 is produced at XOM’s BMT refinery (Beaumont TX) for my region and much of the USA

Price is a very good reason people are moving away from Valvoline.
I did as well; I can get Penn Plat for under C$24 for a 5L jug after tax (12% here), which makes it about US$18 for 5.28 quarts. I cannot get Valvoline synth oil anywhere close to that price even on sale at WM.
I agree my local Walmart is vavoline advance 5 qts 29.47 and vavoline extended protection 32.47 which more pennzoil plantium and mobil 1 and mobil 1 extended performance.I feel after selling vavoline price jump like crazy.

I agree my local Walmart is vavoline advance 5 qts 29.47 and vavoline extended protection 32.47 which more pennzoil plantium and mobil 1 and mobil 1 extended performance.I feel after selling vavoline price jump like crazy.
Same here, I've bought Valvoline before because it was a deal compared to M1 or Pennzoil Platinum, and now it's more expensive than both, and I would rather use M1 or Platinum anyway...

PC price for a gallon jug of OE is $29.39, I consider that quite reasonably priced.
You have to pay $20 per year to unlock that pricing... That's almost another jug of oil. The Pennzoil Platinum I'm running now was $24.

Wait a minute, and it's only a  gallon for $29.39, not a five quart jug? That's a ripoff.

You have to pay $20 per year to unlock that pricing... That's almost another jug of oil. The Pennzoil Platinum I'm running now was $24.
Sure, but you would spread that over how much oil (and other products, like filters) you buy over the course of a year.

I mean, this site is home to some of the cheapest men on the planet, so the pushback on what I consider "reasonably priced" isn't unexpected. I'm sure some consider my buying habits outright heretical with the purchase of Michelin tires, nothing from Walmart or Horror Freight, Snap-On tools, the list of triggers is endless I'm sure, lol :D

Sure, but you would spread that over how much oil (and other products, like filters) you buy over the course of a year.

I mean, this site is home to some of the cheapest men on the planet, so the pushback on what I consider "reasonably priced" isn't unexpected. I'm sure some consider my buying habits outright heretical with the purchase of Michelin tires, nothing from Walmart or Horror Freight, Snap-On tools, the list of triggers is endless I'm sure, lol :D
Horror Freight! Yeah. Now thats a good one I will remember. :ROFLMAO:

Back