Gave Up On Valvoline - Havoline?

I’m giving up on Valvoline since it sold to off-shore company. Maybe nothing with the oil will change but my gut says it will and most likely won’t be as robust as it has been.
Is Havoline going to be a even replacement oil?
I’m sure my engine won’t know the difference.
I’m retired and hope this truck is the last vehicle that I’ll own.
To be clear…not a fan of Mobil or Shell products. This isn’t a debate about those oils….

I’m giving up on Valvoline since it sold to off-shore company. Maybe nothing with the oil will change but my gut says it will and most likely won’t be as robust as it has been.
Is Havoline going to be a even replacement oil?
I’m sure my engine won’t know the difference.
I’m retired and hope this truck is the last vehicle that I’ll own.
To be clear…not a fan of Mobil or Shell products. This isn’t a debate about those oils….
Did you buy any of the oil WM was selling online for EXTREMELY low prices awhile back (last year I think) on here? I still have 6 (6) qt. boxes/containers of Havoline 5W30 HM and Synthetic oil. I think they were .92 cents each.
I also have (3) 5 qt. containers of Chevron Supreme semi synthetic 5W30. Those were $1.07 each.
I still have 3 (5) qt. containers of 5W30 VML that were $1.12 each.
And I also have 6 (5) qt. containers of NAPA semi synthetic 5W30 oil from NAPA'S BOGO FREE sale.
I have already used all of the M1 that was $1 and something for each 5 qt. container.
I wonder if the WM employee/managers were fired for that pricing debacle.
Who else here bought some of that oil?

I’m in the same boat. Was a loyal Valvoline guy, but now considering switching to boxed Havoline 5W30. It’s Dexos rated for my wife’s GM and I use 5W30 in my old Mazda and I like sticking to one oil for the “fleet.”

The price on Havoline is very good. Valvoline used to be priced competitively but now it’s one of the more expensive synthetics.

I’d say your engine won’t notice a difference between the Valvoline or Havoline. You could look up VOA on the oils to compare, but I would use Chevron products with confidence.

Last edited:
Nothing will happen. I think the brand Valvoline will be even be much better. A lot of the corporations now a-days are owned by corporations from foreign companies/stakeholders/stock holders. To name a few, Columbia Tri-Star is owned by Sony Pictures Entertainment, Volvo is owned by Zhejiang Geely Holding Group, Chrysler is owned by Fiat SpA, Jaguar/Land Rover is owned by Tata Motors, etc. Non of these foreign corporations interfered in the operations with the companies they purchased. I have a 2018 Jaguar and I don't see anything in my car that is made in India (not that I know of) LOL and the parts made are still British,German and other European nations.

Last edited:
I’m in the same boat. Was a loyal Valvoline guy, but now considering switching to boxed Havoline 5W30. It’s Dexos rated for my wife’s GM and I use 5W30 in my old Mazda and I like sticking to one oil for the “fleet.”

The price on Havoline is very good. Valvoline used to be priced competitively but now it’s one of the more expensive synthetics.

I’d say your engine won’t notice a difference between the Valvoline or Havoline. You could look up VOA on the oils to compare, but I would use Chevron products with confidence.
You think like me.
I always have been a GM and Valvoline fan.
Switching oil to also keep my money in the good ole USA.
I’m old and stuck in my ways….

You think like me.
I always have been a GM and Valvoline fan.
Switching oil to also keep my money in the good ole USA.
I’m old and stuck in my ways….
The problem with that is we are in a global economy. Everything is sourced out. All of the "Made in USA" products are made from foreign materials sourced around the globe, so when you buy "American", your dollars still fund foreign entities.

If you like Valvoline, just keep on using it (y). It's a good oil.

The problem with that is we are in a global economy. Everything is sourced out. All of the "Made in USA" products are made from foreign materials sourced around the globe, so when you buy "American", your dollars still fund foreign entities.

I hear you.
It just makes me feel better to focus on the companies that are based in our country.

It's not politically motivated but merely patriotic. I buy as much as a can from our friendly neighbors afar and local. I think he as the OP can get Havoline/Chevron much cheaper than V. Make your money work for you. Tough times are here and possibly ahead so if you can save a bit and buy from someone that gives you the warm fuzzy feeling then do it.

Choose your preferred products in the manner that suits YOU.

Havoline is a fine motor oil, and the boxes are great particularly if your vehicle requires 6qts.

One note- I always like to have a quart on hand - finding the correct Havoline quart was always a bit more effort.

Bingo. If you buy a Volvo S60, is your money going to the Chinese parent company or the plant in SC that produces the car? If you buy a Ram 2500, is the money going to Dearborn or to Mexico where it's actually made?

I'm all about shopping local and buying American. But the waters can get muddied real quick.

I was never one to purchase things just made here in the U.S., especially considering the global marketplace and how integrated everything is. However, that has changed, and I now try to buy things made here. I think it's important. It's hard to do and as RamFan said the waters can get muddied quickly. My money for oil is going to Superior WI at the moment.

Back