Gas stations with older style pumps....

Status
Not open for further replies.
The non ethanol gas smells bad compared to the gas with ethanol. I use the "sniff" test, and it worked for me. Try It, the ethanol imparts a "sweet" smell.

Originally Posted By: BalticBob
Originally Posted By: SpeedyG75VW
In my area, there are many places where you can get gas that has older style pumps where it doesn't have a credit card reader and you have to pay inside, but the pumps have digital displays. There are also stations where the pumps have actual mechanical displays where the numbers roll. Most of these stations are local mom and pop shops.

Does anyone regularly use these types of stations? What has been your experience? For me, I have to admit I avoid them mainly because most seem "dirty" (pumps sometimes are rusted and not well kept). Makes me wonder about the quality of the gas and also the turnover rate since there's usually not too much people getting gas at these stations.

Problem for me is that most of the gas stations that I get E0 gas at are these types of places. Makes me almost don't want to get the non-ethanol gas for my OPE.....

There is no such thing as non-ethanol gas sold in America.

Pablum.

Quote:
The seller may tell you this, but ALL gasoline has ethanol in it.

Out and out lie.

Quote:
Not only the pumps are old and dirty, the fuel storage tanks are also old and dirty.

Unsupported speculation.

Quote:
I would never buy fuel from any place like that, too many other choices.
Better have several fuel filters on hand!

And a nice garnish of meaningless drivel to wrap things up.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I have not seen an old skool pump in 30 years. Probably banned in California.

I nsaw one over the summer: a small place in Robbinsville, NC--near the Dragon, maybe half a mile from the Two Wheel Inn.

Originally Posted By: OilSwine
Troll, please post the ASTM method. What is your experience that got you "in the know?"

With all your years of refinery experience I am surprised you do not
know about the "Fuel Analysis Refinery Test" (F.A.R.T.)
A very common lab test for those in the know.

At a guess: he squatted and bore down.

Originally Posted By: mk378
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
We got one analog gas station near us. I prefer the analog pump readouts... as you can get free gas out of the hose after you shut the pump off.

It is not free gas, it is theft. It is the next customer's fuel, not yours.

It is yours. The last customer could have drained the hose but he didn't. If you leave the hose empty, the next customer can still get all the gas he paid for by draining the hose again. Once gas passes through the meter in the pump and registers on the dial, you have paid for it.

I guess you also grab the tip from the other table before the wait staff can get it.
So sad, so sad.

Recently pumped fuel from a noisy old BP bump. Had a good, old-fashioned seven segment display, that due to the speed of fuel pumping, obviously doesn't count a cent at a time.

The station was in a small town, about 100km from the nearest city.

Originally Posted By: fields
The non ethanol gas smells bad compared to the gas with ethanol. I use the "sniff" test, and it worked for me. Try It, the ethanol imparts a "sweet" smell.

You are correct, the sniff test is almost as accurate as the Fuel Analysis Refinery Test.
Just be careful and do not sniff too much, it can damage brain cells in lab rats.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: OilSwine
Troll, please post the ASTM method. What is your experience that got you "in the know?"

With all your years of refinery experience I am surprised you do not
know about the "Fuel Analysis Refinery Test" (F.A.R.T.)
A very common lab test for those in the know.

At a guess: he squatted and bore down.

01.gif

OK, was enjoying this discussion before Mr BalticBob decided to blow it up.
Hate when someone jumps in with the sole purpose of blowing up a discussion just to feed their ego.
Due to complete lack of any attempt to back up his assertions, I assume he may just have had too many hotty-totty's this evening?

Originally Posted By: Geauxtiger
Hate when someone jumps in with the sole purpose of blowing up a discussion just to feed their ego.

He won't last.

In any case, on topic, we don't see a lot of these old pumps up here, except in small towns, or some independents. The big names like pay at the pump, especially since some jurisdictions require it for attendant safety at night. Then, the requirement of PIN cards up here adds to it, so there are a lot of new pumps.

If I could get E0, I wouldn't care much about how old the pump is. I don't think there is any necessary correlation of that to the condition of the underground tanks or filters. If those things develop problems they will be replaced but it doesn't mean the pump itself needs to be. There are reasons why the station owner may prefer the older style pumps.

No matter how old the pumps may be, there aren't any old tanks left. Every station had to remove old-style steel underground tanks and replace them with more leak-resistant types.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014...the-food-supply

Quote:

The FDA allows companies to put 0 grams on the label even if there's up to .5 grams of trans fat in the food.

Another "0" that isn't "0"

Glad protecting consumers is job 1.

.5 is zero. It is 0.5.
0.9 is still zero. So is 0.99999999.
But 1.0-1.9 is one.

Good point, they should just say "less than one"
That should maybe help on confusing and any possible misconceptions or deception.

Last edited:
Saw an "ET shaped" pump in Ohio. Had the "nixie tube" price displays. Not real nixies but light-up seven-segment flourescent displays.

Still let me pay at the pump. Seemed to be assembled out of spare parts from other pumps.

Really touched me as a person for the minute I was buying that cheap gas.

Back in the late '80's I worked for a small rental car company on a small island, we had our own in ground fuel tank and pump. The pump was the old clock dial - the minute hand went around and dinged as the hour hand went around one. People used to drop in and want us to fill their car so they could see the old pump working, but we weren't allowed to sell to the public.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back