Gas stations with older style pumps....

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my area, there are many places where you can get gas that has older style pumps where it doesn't have a credit card reader and you have to pay inside, but the pumps have digital displays. There are also stations where the pumps have actual mechanical displays where the numbers roll. Most of these stations are local mom and pop shops.

Does anyone regularly use these types of stations? What has been your experience? For me, I have to admit I avoid them mainly because most seem "dirty" (pumps sometimes are rusted and not well kept). Makes me wonder about the quality of the gas and also the turnover rate since there's usually not too much people getting gas at these stations.

Problem for me is that most of the gas stations that I get E0 gas at are these types of places. Makes me almost don't want to get the non-ethanol gas for my OPE.....

It's safer to pay inside, and family run biz takes pride and gives a better customer service, unless they are sick in their heads. Turnover could be an issue though

We got one analog gas station near us. I prefer the analog pump readouts... as you can get free gas out of the hose after you shut the pump off.

Originally Posted By: SpeedyG75VW
In my area, there are many places where you can get gas that has older style pumps where it doesn't have a credit card reader and you have to pay inside, but the pumps have digital displays. There are also stations where the pumps have actual mechanical displays where the numbers roll. Most of these stations are local mom and pop shops.

Does anyone regularly use these types of stations? What has been your experience? For me, I have to admit I avoid them mainly because most seem "dirty" (pumps sometimes are rusted and not well kept). Makes me wonder about the quality of the gas and also the turnover rate since there's usually not too much people getting gas at these stations.

Problem for me is that most of the gas stations that I get E0 gas at are these types of places. Makes me almost don't want to get the non-ethanol gas for my OPE.....

There is no such thing as non-ethanol gas sold in America.
The seller may tell you this, but ALL gasoline has ethanol in it.
Not only the pumps are old and dirty, the fuel storage tanks are also old and dirty.
I would never buy fuel from any place like that, too many other choices.
Better have several fuel filters on hand!

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
We got one analog gas station near us. I prefer the analog pump readouts... as you can get free gas out of the hose after you shut the pump off.

It is not free gas, it is theft. It is the next customer's fuel, not yours.

Originally Posted By: BalticBob

Not only the pumps are old and dirty, the fuel storage tanks are also old and dirty.

So tell me what "E0" is? Or "100% Gasoline" They got ethanol as well? I can still buy them, and the local Citgo posted this on their pumps (87 grade)when they upgraded to Pay at Pump some 10 years ago.

Last edited:

So tell me what "E0" is? Or "100% Gasoline" They got ethanol as well? I can still buy them, and the local Citgo posted this on their pumps when they upgraded to Pay at Pump some 10 years ago, well after E10.

Yes, they all have ethanol. It is a urban myth that will not die.

There's some website that shows you gas stations that sell pure gas.

http://www.pure-gas.org/

Also haven't seen those old style stations in a while. At a certain point in this state, gas stations had to upgrade their tanks or shut down. Those small places that didn't have the money to upgrade just shut down so it's all mostly new places around here.

"Yes, they all have ethanol. It is a urban myth that will not die."

Nope, it is not urban myth. They do still sell 100% gasoline with ZERO ethanol at certain stations and marina's for boats. The pumps could not state "E0" or "non-ethanol pure gasoline" without being illegal.

I don't know about other states, as I know it varies from state to state, but here in Nebraska, we have MANY stations that sell E0. And they aren't pulling a fast one and just telling us it is non alcohol, as I have (more than once) tested it, and it shows zero alcohol. If there is ANY alcohol in it, it is a small fraction of 1 percent. to little to show on a diy test.

Although as an aside, one station, ( a major chain) got in big trouble a few years back, as the tank truck driver dumped 10% into the E0 tanks and somebody found out and reported it. BIG fine!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oldhp

Nope, it is not urban myth. They do still sell 100% gasoline with ZERO ethanol at certain stations and marina's for boats. The pumps could not state "E0" or "non-ethanol pure gasoline" without being illegal.

Send a sample of your favorite "E0" gasoline to a testing lab, have them do a
Fuel Analysis Refinery Test.
It will show a minimum of 4.65 % ethanol, a federal mandate minimum for ethanol in gasoline.

Bob,

Please give us the ASTM method for your [censored] test. There is no federal mandate per gallon of gasoline. Only that each is covered by a RIN. Please look that up while you are researching this test.

There is E0 available. BTW, I work for a major refiner and have a large refinery QC lab in my Engineering department. I've worked in refinery engineering for over 25 yrs and have never heard of this test with a dubious acronym.
Originally Posted By: oldhp

Send a sample of your favorite "E0" gasoline to a testing lab, have them do a
Fuel Analysis Refinery Test.
It will show a minimum of 4.65 % ethanol, a federal mandate minimum for ethanol in gasoline.

With all your years of refinery experience I am surprised you do not
know about the "Fuel Analysis Refinery Test" (F.A.R.T.)
A very common lab test for those in the know.

There are very simple DIY test kits for alcohol in gas, and they will show down to 1%, so the gas I buy Has NO alcohol. Or have I just missed the joke, and the F.A.R.T. test just a joke? It is not that hard to test for alcohol.

Quote:
Under the Renewable Fuels Standard passed in 2007, the Federal government requires certain volumes of ethanol to be blended into the U.S. transportation fuel supply.

However, states have discretion as to how much (or how little) ethanol goes into fuels sold within their borders.

And it turns out that relatively few states are doing much to encourage the sale of greater amounts of ethanol.

Quote:
Over 90% of all gas sold at public gas stations now contains ethanol alcohol. E10 gas has become the "conventional" fuel and ethanol-free gas is now a "specialty" fuel.

http://www.fuel-testers.com/state_guide_ethanol_laws.html

Illinois - IL (1 % or higher) is required to have a label presence.

Last edited:
Troll, please post the ASTM method. What is your experience that got you "in the know?"

With all your years of refinery experience I am surprised you do not
know about the "Fuel Analysis Refinery Test" (F.A.R.T.)
A very common lab test for those in the know.

It is not free gas, it is theft. It is the next customer's fuel, not yours.

It is yours. The last customer could have drained the hose but he didn't. If you leave the hose empty, the next customer can still get all the gas he paid for by draining the hose again. Once gas passes through the meter in the pump and registers on the dial, you have paid for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back